Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for steel lugged

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Suggestions for steel lugged

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 06:13 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by The Piper
Masi, All City, Wabi, Pure Cycles again lightweight lugged.
So, you are looking for a Fixed Gear/Single Speed machine w/ the inclusion of Wabi as a candidate?
That narrows the choices quite dramatically.

-Bandera
Old 07-25-18, 10:22 AM
Bill Gem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is a 58 cm Rivendell Quickbeam on e-Bay for $1225 right now.
Old 07-25-18, 12:42 PM
The Piper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Lugged and budget do not generally go together.
Might be a good requirement to drop especially if the only one you found so far is fork only.
Raleigh Grand Vitesse is another great bike and would be a much better choice than the Grand Prix imo. Right now they are on closeout but only in one size I believe(54)
At $1,099 it is a steal though.
I'm looking at the Record Ace. What do you think?

Originally Posted by Bandera
So, you are looking for a Fixed Gear/Single Speed machine w/ the inclusion of Wabi as a candidate?
That narrows the choices quite dramatically.

-Bandera
Definitely want a multi-speed Wabi has a real nice one but 2,000 is a bit steep.

Originally Posted by Bill Gem
Thanks Bill!
5 post in 24 hours smh, this forum has a lot of rules lol. I have an All City Macho Man frame/fork but looking at the build parts weight and pricing, I'm not happy. On top of that I just wrecked my Technium Grand Prix smh. The other bike that Raleigh makes that I'm interested in the the Record Ace www.raleighusa.com/record-ace-27454. Looking for Sub 22lb if possible with gears. Really don't want build (worst case scenario) but what are some lightweight reasonably price group-sets and components I should be looking at? Researching models now Appreciate the advice!
Old 07-25-18, 01:10 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
l
lightweight, steel lugged complete road bike...... My budget is 1300$
Since the Wabi Lightning RE road bike bike is not lugged steel but TIG welded w/ CF fork and goes for $1.950 that's 3 strikes for not meeting requirements.
Not much point in making suggestions if the OP doesn't have a firm grasp on what actually is required.

-Bandera
Old 07-25-18, 01:13 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
I'm looking suggestions for a nice lightweight, steel lugged complete road bike new or used. Currently about to pull the trigger on a Raleigh around 22lb 20spd. Just want to see what's out there and other options. I haven't been on the bike seen for longtime. So what make and models New or used My budget is 1300$. Some I googled Masi, All City, Wabi, Pure Cycles again lightweight lugged. Thanks for your responses in advanced.
a good lugged steel frame cost from 3k usd and up from what i gathered. i got my colnago master a month ago for about 2000€ in europe. de rosa can be had cheaper though. the neo primato. cinelli supercorsa is similar priced.

or buy used.
Old 07-25-18, 05:02 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I'm looking at the Record Ace. What do you think?

Definitely want a multi-speed Wabi has a real nice one but 2,000 is a bit steep.

Thanks Bill!
5 post in 24 hours smh, this forum has a lot of rules lol. I have an All City Macho Man frame/fork but looking at the build parts weight and pricing, I'm not happy. On top of that I just wrecked my Technium Grand Prix smh. The other bike that Raleigh makes that I'm interested in the the Record Ace www.raleighusa.com/record-ace-27454. Looking for Sub 22lb if possible with gears. Really don't want build (worst case scenario) but what are some lightweight reasonably price group-sets and components I should be looking at? Researching models now Appreciate the advice!
The Record Ace is a good value bike but for me the Reynolds 853 on the Grand Vitesse makes it a no brainer between the two. I also prefer the Ultegra on it
Old 07-25-18, 06:03 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Get info! I just don't know the makes and models of the good performance race steel lugged bikes a from the past. Used is how I got my Quantum Race frame and fork for 160$ but because someone had one and I asked. So I need to be schooled to the market to buy used. Keep the suggestions coming. The new bike the used ones up against is The Raleigh Grand Prix www.raleighusa.com/grand-prix-27417 checkout the specs let me know what you guys think and how it compares.

New 22 pound lugged steel for $1300? Not happening. Used, sure. How hard are you willing to look?

Forget a magic list of nice steel bikes from the past. Instead focus on frame quality, tubing grade, component level and condition. I have found so many nice vintage bikes with names I didn't recognize at the time. And brands and models changed over the years. Many bike companies dramatically changed models, where the same name was used for a grail touring bike, and a crappy hybrid. All from the same company.

With the internet, you too can become an expert on what to look for with very little effort.

The Raleigh above does nothing for me, and it certainly is not lugged steel. If I was going TIG welded, I'd get a 853 tubing bike. There has been a used one with nine speed Ultegra components for $325 in my market. Needs some cleanup, but thats a lot of bike for the money.

I've owned over 600 vintage steel bikes over the years, many nice ones. I've only paid over $800 once, for my 1974 Schwinn Paramount. Everything else was less, usually a lot less.

1987 Schwinn Prologue, made by Panasonic in Japan. Lugged Tange Prestige frame, mainly nine speed Dura Ace (7700) components. Now the chances of finding a Prologue with a modern drivetrain in your size? Low, really low. But there are similar lugged steel models out there that are more common.

1987 Schwinn Prologue by wrk101, on Flickr

My other 1987 Prologue, this time mainly eight speed Dura Ace (7400) components.

1987 Prologue by wrk101, on Flickr
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.

Last edited by wrk101; 07-25-18 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-25-18, 08:42 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Also, the more you know, the less you need to rely on brand names, and are able to spot something that's really nice, even if it's not a brand you're familiar with.

I don't know if you'd be slumming riding a Lemond, but I like those a lot. Not lugged though.
Yeah pretty much anything Lemond (not the cheap Huffy one) will be great. Pre-Trek days were lugged steel built in Italy and the Trek ones are nice Reynolds 853.

You budget should score you a nice one easily!

Reynolds 853 - Trek era

Reynolds 853 - Trek Era

Italian built by Billato

Italian built by Billato

Italian built by Billato

You really can't go wrong with a good used Lemond.
Old 07-26-18, 11:43 AM
Bill Gem

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bill Gem
Weighs 25 lbs.
Old 07-26-18, 12:11 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
if a lugged fork is your threshold, then that opens up all city as a good option.
black mountain cycles road frame would work at your budget of you built it.

...or just install a Soma Tange infinity fork onto whatever frame you want.

oh- that Raleigh you linked is a breakaway frame. You want that?
I saw that the Raleigh ad said "licensed Ritchey Breakaway technology" in it. I can't tell in the pic but that's usually the frame that can be unthreaded into two pieces for travel, right? Otherwise the component spec is nice (Campy Veloce, KMC X10 chain, etc). Maybe cheap wheels, but not surprised for the price.
Old 07-26-18, 12:19 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
If you must have new lugged steel you can buy a brand new Bob Jackson in your exact size. This is the frameset only but you get to pick the colors and everything. I bought a world tourist last year for 850.00 shipped to my house from Leeds England. It would be an awesome bike when you got done
I was thinking of Bob Jackson but held back. OP would easily blow past his $1300 budget with an $850 frameset. Well, might get close with Shimano Tiagra and very careful cockpit and wheel buying, but... I was thinking the Holdsworth Competition for ~$490 from Planet X would be a good value:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOCO...ition-frameset

But I think the OP does not want to do a build himself.

Edit: Along the same lines of frameset and build it yourself, Mercian still makes lugged frames, if I recall. But I think that will also go above budget all in. The Audax Special looks great. But the Reynolds 853 one for $1165 is not far off budget all by itself. Used early 2000's Lemond Zurich/Buenos Aires, Schwinn Peloton or Fuji Roubaix Pro FTW!

Last edited by ptempel; 07-26-18 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-30-18, 11:58 AM
Ungaro

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Professional MK III; '71 Raleigh Pro Track; '88 Bianchi Campione d'Ialia; 2016 Litespeed T5 Gravel; 2012 Cool Fixie; 2017 Bottecchia Leggendaria; 2018 Bottecchia Leggendaria;2008 Electra Townie

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Last summer, I took advantage of a 20% off from Steel Vintage Bikes, and picked up a new Bottecchia Leggendaria frameset. Delivered, it was about $1,300. I used the gruppo off of the bike it was replacing, sold the old frameset, and really love the new ride. Most comfortable frame I've had in I don't know how long. It's fast and responsive too.
Old 07-30-18, 12:12 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks for the info, I had no idea these were still being built. Would love to replace my stolen SLX Professional with one of these.
Old 07-30-18, 12:57 PM
KDR

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I'm about 5'11.5 so I ride 55cm-57cm.
There is a very nice stock 58cm Serotta CSi with 10 speed campy group for $720 on the Paceline Forum. I think I used to own it when it was new. 58cm c-c seat tube and 57.5 tt. I'm 6'1 with 89cm PBH and it was a bit small for me. My stock 60cm Serotta Legend was perfect so I think the 58 should fit you fine.
Old 07-31-18, 03:41 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm looking suggestions for a nice lightweight, steel lugged complete road bike new or used. Currently about to pull the trigger on a Raleigh around 22lb 20spd. Just want to see what's out there and other options. I haven't been on the bike seen for longtime. So what make and models New or used My budget is 1300$. Some I googled Masi, All City, Wabi, Pure Cycles again lightweight lugged. Thanks for your responses in advanced.
There are many custom builders around but I just met one a month ago that I liked: Omar Kheil, Oasis Custom Cycles www.oasiscustomcycles.com He lives in Glendale Arizona and I was down here visiting a friend and met and talked with him. He is very knowledgeable. He has a store of Reynolds tubing and bicycle tubing is getting more and more difficult to find. I think that the only Columbus tubes you can get anymore are Nemo. Be sure to order a threadless fork though I'm sure that Omar probably does that automatically. If you prefer to call his number is 602-350-8032
Old 08-04-18, 06:40 PM
The Piper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still looking. Do anyone know anything about these? If not what do you think? Creme Cycles Echo Tange 22
Old 08-04-18, 08:08 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
It appears to be a great bike. Classic and great looking with durable components. It will ride wonderfully. It was never worth 2050, the "discount price is like $150 off what I'd expect it to cost new.

You seem to be interested in only new. With that in mind, I think that's about as nice of steel bike that you can find for the money. Really, it's great.

If it's over 22lbs, its the wheels. Those can be swapped for something lighter any time.