Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for feedback on bike lock for hybrid

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-18, 07:52 AM
JohnnyMordoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Folks,

I am looking for some feedback or experience with purchasing a bike lock for my hybrid.

I have been scouring the web - looking for reviews and sometimes there is too much information.

I am leaning towards an ABUS or Kryponite lock.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bike-lock/

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/...-chains-44996/

The 6 Best Bike Locks | The Best Bike Lock

It seems most of these sites have some good review information but I am looking for some real world experience.

Then - it looks like in reading some of the product information you have be keen to the version of lock - some versions are rated GOLD and others SILVER with the rating groups.

Sold Secure Gold bike locks: The List | The Best Bike Lock

Sold Secure Silver bike locks: The List | The Best Bike Lock

Then you have the rating of the lock company itself.

I consider the purchase of my lock and investment - hopefully to keep my bike from getting stolen and the hassle that goes along with it.

I am looking for some real world experience and thoughts or recommendations.

Some have better Customer Service that others...…

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-18, 08:56 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Standard response: Any decent lock and a hardened chain will protect your bike in 95% of all situations, and in the other five percent, nothing will.

Most bikes are stolen by either casual thieves/opportunistic thieves, drug addicts with simple tools, or slightly more organized thieves with larger hand tools. Most of them are not going to have three-foot bolt-cutters or anything else which can defeat a hardened chain and won't be able to pick a lock. Also .... if the lock is on a chain and securing a bike, it will be almost impossible to smash the lock, because there will be no anvil against which to smash it.

The people who have the serious bolt-cutters, the angle grinders, the hydraulic jacks to pop U-locks ... are only going to steal bikes that can be resold for a lot of money.

A lot of bike security is not parking in places where people can take their time working on your lock and chain, and not being the best bike on the rack. Not locking up in high-crime areas is also a good idea.

If you lock up outside of stores and such, you can get away with dollar-a-foot hardened chain and any sort of padlock.

Any of the locks you have listed seem like overkill to me. All of them can be defeated by a serious thief, regardless of what "rating" they earn. Any of them will be way more than adequate protection for 95 percent of the situations you will ever be in ... and unless you bike is a $2500 or $5000 big-name bike, which can really rarely be left safely anywhere unattended.
Old 08-02-18, 09:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Standard response: Any decent lock and a hardened chain will protect your bike in 95% of all situations, and in the other five percent, nothing will.

Most bikes are stolen by either casual thieves/opportunistic thieves, drug addicts with simple tools, or slightly more organized thieves with larger hand tools. Most of them are not going to have three-foot bolt-cutters or anything else which can defeat a hardened chain and won't be able to pick a lock. Also .... if the lock is on a chain and securing a bike, it will be almost impossible to smash the lock, because there will be no anvil against which to smash it.

The people who have the serious bolt-cutters, the angle grinders, the hydraulic jacks to pop U-locks ... are only going to steal bikes that can be resold for a lot of money.

A lot of bike security is not parking in places where people can take their time working on your lock and chain, and not being the best bike on the rack. Not locking up in high-crime areas is also a good idea.

If you lock up outside of stores and such, you can get away with dollar-a-foot hardened chain and any sort of padlock.

Any of the locks you have listed seem like overkill to me. All of them can be defeated by a serious thief, regardless of what "rating" they earn. Any of them will be way more than adequate protection for 95 percent of the situations you will ever be in ... and unless you bike is a $2500 or $5000 big-name bike, which can really rarely be left safely anywhere unattended.
Plus if you have to carry 6 pounds or so of locks with you (front and rear), you've pretty much negated a lot of the benefits of having a $2500-$5000 bike.
Old 08-02-18, 09:03 AM
Chukbacca

Bikes: 1988 Univega Alpina Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
I think you may find this an interesting read:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ike-locks.html
Old 08-02-18, 10:07 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
So is your town a hotbed of Organized gangs of bike thieves with power tools ? Y/N?

I have a number of different locks one per bike..

For my Bike Friday Pocket Llama I have an Abus Bordo Granit 6500
its folded in a carry pouch fixed to frame, with a water bottle boss set.

the bike has a bottle boss set in top of the top tube.. so it's quite convenient..
Old 08-02-18, 10:19 AM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, I agree with the others. Any decent lock will make your bike secure from almost anyone for the hour or so you might reasonably leave it untended (or left in a tended common area). But there's no lock I'd be willing to lug around with me that would make your bike secure overnight.
Old 08-02-18, 11:15 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Abus Bordo 6500.

Thieves will either need a nut splitter or a portable angle grinder to cut it.

Old 08-02-18, 11:48 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts

This may be the best write up about bike locks ever.

Simple.

To the point.

Personally I don't leave my bike locked up for long periods of time. Typically it's 5 minutes while I run inside to get a sandwich or something. (I don't use my bike for everything. Either commuting or joy ride)

For this I use a super cheap (and super light weight) combination lock cable. It would take a bike thief less than a minute to bust it open, but I also park it in plain view of people. So he'd have to wait until no one was watching. It's enough to keep a teenager from just grabbing it and riding off in 2 seconds.

I'm taking a small risk that a bike thief with a rock or wrench handy and ready to go isn't laying in wait in the shadows of the random store I want to go into that day during that exact 5 minute period. But the 0.01% chance of that happening is worth the benefit of having my lock being small and light weight.

The bigger threat for me is taking my lights and stuff off the bike. When I do this I usually pull the lights off real fast, toss them in a pannier, and take that inside with me. Those will walk away from the bike quickly and easily otherwise.
Old 08-04-18, 05:18 AM
qthanh

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Totally agree.
Old 08-04-18, 02:35 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'm interested to know the value on your bike and where you live. In my life I've had 3 bikes stolen - 2 were using a coil lock and this last time was a U-lock (albeit from Target). As for the U-lock, I don't know how they did it unless I made some grand mistake and just didn't lock it (highly unlikely). It was stolen from in front of a library during daylight hours. If they broke into the lock, they knew what they were doing - how often do u hear about a U-lock being broken into? If they carried it away (it was loaded), no lock would have changed the situation. Years of bike touring and riding have given me knowledge and common sense of where to and not to park the bike so that I haven't had more occurances. That's your first defense, as stated above.
Have you thought about a lock and alarm system? They do make them for bikes. You could do a combo of lock and alarm. Also, to prevent them from getting far, don't forget that you can: take the chain off the front cogs making it impossible for them to just ride away, take the seat post off and take it with you, release the brake cables (don't forget to put them back in place before getting on again!!).
Old 08-04-18, 03:01 PM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elvo
Abus Bordo 6500.

Thieves will either need a nut splitter or a portable angle grinder to cut it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs8u...kPickingLawyer
Seems like the being able to defeat the lock with a nut splitter is too low a bar for a lock that costs $100. I've seen locks like these around and, until now, didn't realize they were so easily defeated.
Old 08-04-18, 03:25 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
I have said this before but I have never been shy about repeating myself if i thought I was right for a change.

What people by is not "bicycle security," it is a "sense of security."

Rationally we all understand that a guy with a nut-splitter can open a huge number of supposedly "secure" :Gold-ranked" locks. A guy with a hydraulic bottle jack about the size of a bottle of Coke can pop most u-locks. A guy with an angle grinder can beat anything out there, though some locks or chains will take a few minutes. We all know this.

We also know that your ten-dollar chain and five-dollar padlock can stop 95 % of most thieves, and All of them unless you are locking up a bike you shouldn't be leaving unattended.

But ... we can buy a slice of peace of mind.

I know a cable lock can be defeated by wire cutters or even a determined individual with a steak knife---and a lot of those inline locks can be picked by almost anyone. I know a Master padlock---the old gym-locker lock--can be picked pretty easily too. yet ,... I spent about $20 for some hardened chain and a Master lock----because it says loudly, "My bike is Locked."

Every time I shop at the hardware store I get nervous because I know someone could see my bike, go inside, buy a tool to steal it, ride away, and come back the next day and return the tool for a full refund. I feel a lot better when I park in front of the grocery store. But also ... I know nobody really wants any of the bikes I use to get groceries. However I also know people will steal anything if it easy enough.

For me, $20 was about enough to waste to get some feeling of security.

Some folks need to spend five or ten times that much to feel safe. But that is what they are buying----the Feeling of being safe.

For a long, long time I used a cheezy chain with an inline lock---it got picked and the bike got stolen (and luckily recovered.) So ... I switched to a cable with a four- rather than three-tumbler inline lock, and used that without a worry for a long while. Then for some reason I started worrying and had to buy something i couldn't cut with a three-dollar pair of wire cutters I could slip into my pocket and steal at Home Depot so I could then steal a bike. I got lucky---my fear only cost $20.

Some folks spend half what i spend for some of my bikes, to feel safe.

And, as someone else said ... if you spend two or three grand to buy a slick lightweight bike and carry seven pounds of lock and chain ... well, we appreciate you making everyone else laugh.
Old 08-04-18, 06:32 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Chain locks will give you more locking options than a ulock, because chains are longer and can go around thicker objects..Most ulocks won't work if the object you locking to is too thick....but heavy duty chains are also more awkward and heavy to carry than a ulock..
Old 08-04-18, 06:54 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I have said this before but I have never been shy about repeating myself if i thought I was right for a change.

What people by is not "bicycle security," it is a "sense of security."

Rationally we all understand that a guy with a nut-splitter can open a huge number of supposedly "secure" :Gold-ranked" locks. A guy with a hydraulic bottle jack about the size of a bottle of Coke can pop most u-locks. A guy with an angle grinder can beat anything out there, though some locks or chains will take a few minutes. We all know this.

We also know that your ten-dollar chain and five-dollar padlock can stop 95 % of most thieves, and All of them unless you are locking up a bike you shouldn't be leaving unattended.

But ... we can buy a slice of peace of mind.

I know a cable lock can be defeated by wire cutters or even a determined individual with a steak knife---and a lot of those inline locks can be picked by almost anyone. I know a Master padlock---the old gym-locker lock--can be picked pretty easily too. yet ,... I spent about $20 for some hardened chain and a Master lock----because it says loudly, "My bike is Locked."

Every time I shop at the hardware store I get nervous because I know someone could see my bike, go inside, buy a tool to steal it, ride away, and come back the next day and return the tool for a full refund. I feel a lot better when I park in front of the grocery store. But also ... I know nobody really wants any of the bikes I use to get groceries. However I also know people will steal anything if it easy enough.

For me, $20 was about enough to waste to get some feeling of security.

Some folks need to spend five or ten times that much to feel safe. But that is what they are buying----the Feeling of being safe.

For a long, long time I used a cheezy chain with an inline lock---it got picked and the bike got stolen (and luckily recovered.) So ... I switched to a cable with a four- rather than three-tumbler inline lock, and used that without a worry for a long while. Then for some reason I started worrying and had to buy something i couldn't cut with a three-dollar pair of wire cutters I could slip into my pocket and steal at Home Depot so I could then steal a bike. I got lucky---my fear only cost $20.

Some folks spend half what i spend for some of my bikes, to feel safe.

And, as someone else said ... if you spend two or three grand to buy a slick lightweight bike and carry seven pounds of lock and chain ... well, we appreciate you making everyone else laugh.
I’d like to nominate this post as a permanent “sticky.” In the future when yet another lock thread gets started one of us could simply refer the OP to this perfectly stated summary of the realities of locking one’s bicycle. Concise, clearly stated common sense. Bravo!

-Kedosto
Old 08-04-18, 10:46 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto

I’d like to nominate this post as a permanent “sticky.” In the future when yet another lock thread gets started one of us could simply refer the OP to this perfectly stated summary of the realities of locking one’s bicycle. Concise, clearly stated common sense. Bravo!

-Kedosto
Yep, recommending a lock is like recommending a flat free tire: ever if the contact patch is resistant, it can still be pierced through the sidewall.
Old 08-05-18, 11:39 AM
Nnaclal

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use onguard mastiff 8021. what do you think about this?
Old 08-05-18, 01:51 PM
nilfunks

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a lock and chain are the most versatile when it comes to finding spots. I've had a D lock forever though and haven't had a problem.
Old 08-05-18, 03:26 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by nilfunks
I think a lock and chain are the most versatile when it comes to finding spots. I've had a D lock forever though and haven't had a problem.
A chain offers more versatility, just don't let it tough the ground. Also remember, "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link." As far as bang for the buck goes, a U-lock is as good as it gets.
Old 08-05-18, 03:39 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Make sure that both of your wheels and your seat post are secured, especially if you have quick releases. One of the reasons why I hate quick release wheels and seat posts is because it's so easy to steal them.
Old 08-06-18, 10:20 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Maelochs posts on locks is the best advice I have ever read on this forum. I agree it should be a sticky.

As for real life experience I have 11 assorted Kryptonite locks, 2 ABUS Bordo 6500's, 4 assorted Kryptonite Krypto Cables and Pitlocks. I use a combination of these everyday to buy myself piece of mind. I just want to make my bike harder to steal than the one next to it.

The locks I choose to use is dependent on the amount of risk that I think that my bike will get stolen. Time of day, neighbourhood, foot traffic, which bike I am using, are risk factors that I take into consideration.

For ease of use I like the Bordo folding locks. I just purchased these for traveling with my Brompton folding bike and I have been pleased. Though to be honest after reading some reviews after, I wasn't so sure this lock is the most secure when compared to a equivalently priced U lock.

The lock that gives me piece of mind is my Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit mini lock. This lock is a beast and looks intimidating. The cons is the weight and it is hard to carry on a bike.

The lock that I use most often is the Kryptonite Evolution 4 Standard. I like this one because the length allows me to get through a wheel and frame to the bike stand. It is heavy enough and thick enough to scare away any thief that is looking for a quick bike to steal.

If I had to choose only one lock it would be the Evolution because I think it is good enough for most situations.