Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sidewall cut a concern?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sidewall cut a concern?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-18, 12:45 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Please don't post any more threads about holes in X'Plor USH tires. Bad Karma.

From last night.
Ouch, I wouldn't have even bothered asking about that one, I was paranoid enough about this!
Old 08-06-18, 12:50 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I sometimes obsess over the build quality of new tires. Doesn't look like an immediate thing, but I'd replace it at your earliest convenience.
Old 08-06-18, 01:19 PM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimothyH
How does one get a nail in the tire like that, put in a tube, ride it home, remove the tire and the nail is still there?

-Tim-
Gee Tim, that looks like asphalt to me...

"We can't go on together
With suspicious minds (suspicious minds)
And we can't build our dreams
On suspicious minds"
Old 08-06-18, 08:06 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I sometimes obsess over the build quality of new tires. Doesn't look like an immediate thing, but I'd replace it at your earliest convenience.
To be fair, I have exactly zero idea where I picked it up. From the last time I know for sure it was good, I had boxed it up, put it on a plane, rode 400 miles on tour with it staying in rooms with various other bike tourist bikes, tossed it in the back of a hatchback with another bike, drove around for a few more days with it there, put it on a plane in a plastic bag for the trip back, hurriedly unpacked it from the bag at an airport and tossed it on my car rack, took it out for a short ride, then noticed finally noticed it putting it on the car Saturday, only because the label was smack dab in my face hauling it up.

Dollars to donuts, it is handling damage from any of those steps, I really don't think it is any sort of manufacturing issue or something I picked up on a normal ride.
Old 08-07-18, 12:15 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
How does one get a nail in the tire like that, put in a tube, ride it home, remove the tire and the nail is still there?

-Tim-
I suppose I could have left the nail in place. But, as mentioned, it had stapled my tube to the side of the tire, so I would have had to either pull it and put it back in, or cut the tube off. And, I found it because it was banging on the rear brake, so I would have had to finish the ride without the rear brake.

The background in the photo is a cement sidewalk/bike path.

The damage to the tire was actually quite minimal. I can see a slight bump where the nail exited near the logo, the entrance point isn't obvious.

I don't think the casing is significantly compromised, although I suppose a hole through the casing could potentially be an entry point for debris.

I suppose I should tie back into the OP's question. In my opinion, it is fine to reinforce if desired, but choose actions based on the actual symptoms and close inspection.

I'm just barely wearing down through the center rib of my tire... and have quite a bit of wear left to go.
Old 08-07-18, 12:46 AM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
I have a sidewall cut similar to OP's on my front wheel tire and see some damage on the casing . I have patched inside with some rubber + a good duck tape.
I am 300+ miles after that and don't see any bump growing out yet. The tire is still on its 1500 miles ... so hope hold a bunch more