Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

The NW Arkansas "Razorback Regional Greenway" trail

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Old 03-24-19, 03:55 AM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The nearly 40 miles of paved trails starts in Bella Vista, AR (retirement community with many golf courses), and goes south through the headquarter towns of Bentonville (Walmart) , Lowell (JB Hunt), Springdale (Tyson Foods), and Fayetteville (University of Arkansas). There's also many off-road trails for mountain bikers in the area. Much of this has been funded by the Walton family (Walmart heirs). It's my understanding that a couple of the Walton grand kids are avid cyclists and have given much financial support to this project, to make it possible.
Thank you for shopping at Walmart.
This relatively new trail was dedicated in May of 2015.
Last summer, a couple friends and I biked most of the trail. We rode from a north point in Bella Vista to the south point in Fayetteville. We spent the night in a hotel in Fayetteville, then biked back up the trail to Bella Vista the following day.
This is my second attempt at a YouTube video:
Old 04-15-19, 11:40 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
It is not only the Waltons. A few years ago on a visit to Little Rock I ran into the mayor of N. Little Rock who apparently was
a driving force behind the bike paths on the north side of the river to the "Big Dam" and into the park. A companion turned out
to be a bicycle coordinator at the Ark St DOT. The creation of the Big Dam Bridge required a lot of political pressure, funding
and engineering and is a fantastic final work with enough continuing political interest to develop and fund further paths and
bridges to the west of the Big Dam for an additional 5 miles or so and east toward downtown LR on the south side to say
nothing about the salvage and conversion of two abandoned rail bridges in downtown LR across the river to NLR to walk/bike
paths.

Last edited by sch; 04-15-19 at 11:45 AM.