Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sizing adjustment for slightly too large frame

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-19, 08:33 AM
mishathepenguin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

Spring is here and I am keen to get out and ride my cherished 1997 T700 that was passed down to me and rebuilt a couple of years ago.

The frame is slightly too large (TT is *right* there when standing over) but I manage well pedaling with 170mm cranks...

Right now I have about a fistful of seatpost and a Nitto Dynamic stem at minimum insertion (145mm rise) and 90mm extension with a Noodle bar. Seat and bars are about level with each other. B.17 is as far forward on the rails as possible.

The reach is too long for me; riding in the drops I am uncomfortably far forward and bent down -- poor visibility, strained neck and shoulders, same even up on the hoods.

I was thinking to get a shorter 60-70mm stem but wonder if it will affect handling much...

Do I need a shorter extension? Taller height a-la Technomic? Both? I'm not sure how height and extension interact and unfortunately don't have any spare stems to try out... So trying to minimize buying multiples.

Please let me know if you have experience with this! What I really need is a smaller frame but this bike is too important to me not to ride!
Old 04-18-19, 01:39 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
You could go rogue and get upright bars that sweep back!
Old 04-18-19, 02:50 PM
Bubbleb

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My too long for my comfort top tube Jamis Coda with Nitto Albatross bars. Much better fit!
Old 04-18-19, 03:05 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
[QUOTE=mishathepenguin;20890020]

...The frame is slightly too large (TT is *right* there when standing over) but I manage well pedaling with 170mm cranks...

I had this issue (top tube height only) when I got older. I was OK with it for quite a while. I did not have the reach problem, though, and my setup has always been with the saddle and bars at the same height.

If I wanted to keep the bike, I would consider swept back bars (mustache, etc.) as second poster suggests, or a swept back bar mounted upside down to get a bit of drop. Another alterntive might be the randonneur type bar which would allow keeping your current brake levers.. Good sources of swept back bars or randonneur bars would be from Rivendell, Rene Herse or VelOrange, as well as Soma, Salsa, Surly, ands some of the various newer gravel bars. Keep in mind the Nitto stem "may" be a hard match due to sizing of handlebar clamp which is I believe is often 26mm. There are adapters if you have a 26mm clamp and a 1" bar, but not vice versa. Rivendell has Nitto 26mm swept back bars and also the Nitto Tallux quill stem which allows a higher mount of drop (or other) bars.

If you want to save costs while experimenting, a threadless stem adapter (one inch guill to 1 1/8 inch upper) would allow you to get a threadless stem that takes a more common handlebar diameters. I love the threadless stems as you do not have to unwrap the bars and remove brake levers to swap stem length or bar set for static test fittings.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 04-18-19 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-18-19, 05:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've tried various tricks to feel a little less stretched out on various bikes. My bikes technically the right size for me but due to old neck and shoulder injuries I'm more comfortable with reduced reach.

I switched my '89 Ironman from the original stem (130mm, I think) to 90mm. Much better. Took a few rides to get adjusted to the handling. It felt a bit twitchy for a few rides, especially on fast curves. But it feels just right now. I wouldn't want a stem any shorter with my bike.

Tipping the bar up a bit or raising the brakes/hoods up a bit can help a little. I don't like anything too extreme or odd looking, but I've found a reasonable compromise for my bike's original drops and brakes/hoods.

Brifters like the MicroShift for 7 or 8 speed would improve the ergonomics a bit and make the reach feel a little less stretched out, compared with the skimpy hooks of older aero brake hoods, which tended to be a bit low when the drops were adjusted so the bottom of the bar is parallel with the ground. I'm about to switch my other road bike from older style aero brakes/hoods to brifters. It'll get my neck into a better position and feel more comfortable on longer rides without giving up too much in aerodynamics.

My biggest bike is an old Univega Via Carisma, which was technically my size but the top tube is long relative to the seat tube and standover height. Over three years I've switched it from the original flat to riser bars (about 1 1/2") to albatross bars. The albatross bar shortened the reach enough that I wanted to get the bar height a bit lower, closer to saddle height. The original upward angled stem wouldn't accommodate that so I swapped in the long stem from my Centurion Ironman. Perfect. The albatross bars are keepers. They combine upright comfort when using the bar end grips, to some aero advantage when leaning forward into the curved part of the bar. It feels like riding the hoods of my road bikes. And I don't feel stretched out, no neck pain.

Another tip is getting the saddle position right. While saddle position shouldn't be used to adjust reach, with some bikes setting up a saddle correctly for efficiency and knee health may also reduce the reach a bit. With my older bike's typical setback seat post, I had to shove the saddle fully forward on the rails to get the right position. A zero setback seat post would accomplish the same thing, but I haven't had any problems with my saddle rails at the forward limit. I might not try that with saddles that have a reputation for rails deforming (such as some heavier riders report with some Selle Anatomica saddles). But I weigh 150 and haven't had any problems with my Selle Italias.
Old 04-19-19, 02:07 AM
99spokes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 for sweep back bars.
Old 04-19-19, 06:03 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I'd get a quill stem adapter so that I could try different length stems as well as being able to move the stem up and down.

My first bike was an XL Schwinn Circuit. I am a tad under 6'. It was also "right there" on standover but I got used to it and like having the extra cockpit reach.
Old 04-19-19, 07:26 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Another idea is to try one of the newer riser type endurance compact drop bars. That will preserve the look and feel of the bike while raising the bars a few cm to effectively allow a more upright position.

Lots of ideas to consider. Good luck!
Old 04-19-19, 07:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I got a hybrid that was larger than ideal. I made it work for a few years but I'm much happier on bikes that are the right size for me