Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Need Advice on Sizing a Roadie

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 05-27-19, 11:35 AM
VK_Rides84
NooBie

Bikes: Giant - Roam3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hello All!

Newly here, looking at grabbing a road bike, not sure of kind, new or used.

Before I get there I wanted to start with the frame sizing. I am 5’7 135 lbs and am finding myself able to ride a 52 and a 54.

Is it better to have a smaller sized frame with extended components or a larger frame with everything slammed?

I currently ride a 54 giant hybrid and have seemed to get the saddle and handle bar configuration to a comfortable place. I would like a little more reach (1-3”). But I also feel like the frame could be smaller.

Looking for pros and cons!

Cheers!
Old 06-14-19, 08:12 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by VK_Rides84
Hello All!

Newly here, looking at grabbing a road bike, not sure of kind, new or used.

Before I get there I wanted to start with the frame sizing. I am 5’7 135 lbs and am finding myself able to ride a 52 and a 54.

Is it better to have a smaller sized frame with extended components or a larger frame with everything slammed?

I currently ride a 54 giant hybrid and have seemed to get the saddle and handle bar configuration to a comfortable place. I would like a little more reach (1-3”). But I also feel like the frame could be smaller.

Looking for pros and cons!

Cheers!
Hi, bikes have changed. I am 5'-6" and forty years ago, I used to ride a 52cm bike. Bike companies have come up with frames with shorter seat tubes, with more seat post extended. I now ride bikes with seat tubes in the 42 - 44 cm range. There is no disadvantage, and has more standover clearance. The key is to focus on the top tube length.
Old 06-14-19, 08:42 PM
VK_Rides84
NooBie

Bikes: Giant - Roam3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian25
Hi, bikes have changed. I am 5'-6" and forty years ago, I used to ride a 52cm bike. Bike companies have come up with frames with shorter seat tubes, with more seat post extended. I now ride bikes with seat tubes in the 42 - 44 cm range. There is no disadvantage, and has more standover clearance. The key is to focus on the top tube length.
Thank you for your input I already went and pulled the trigger on a 52cm Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc 105, and I loved it. I tested a bunch of bikes and sizes and this felt the best. I figured it I feel to crammed I can always stretch out using a stem.

Pic included because why not!
Old 06-30-19, 06:46 PM
jbbr

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale CAAD10, Santa Cruz Cameleon, 92 Gary Fisher paragon, 94 Cannondale r400 roadie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
sweet bike. have been riding a 54cm CAAD10 for the last two years and love it. I' m 5' 10" 180 lbs but have a 28" inseam( long torso). i find i am continuslly tweaking my ride. i also have a shortish arm length and had to shorten
the stem due to my reach. picked up an adjustible and after much t&e have that sorted out.
now, to sort my short left leg. have lately developed lft hip pain and suspect that is the culprit. its never ending for those who have atypical dimensions