Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Yet another - which tire thread!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-20-19, 01:21 PM
Money D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Just got a new to me 2016 Scott Solace Premium, this is their "endurance" bike. I'm a big guy, its their XXL size, and it came GP5000 TL tires in 28. On the stock Syncros RP1.0, these tires currently measure 27.5mm. The bike will be used for commuting to work on nice days, casual weekend or evening rides, nothing competitive at all. 90% pavement, occasional dirt trail. Can I ride on gravel with wheels/tires like this without rising damage to the rims? Anyway, I am looking for a bigger tire and am thinking of the Schwalbe G-One TL. Their sizes are 30, 35, and 38. The GP5000s on it now will allow a 6mm allen wrench to pass between them and the bike, front and back at every point, currently. So I have approx 39.5mm of clearance (6 + 27.5 + 6).

First, IF they would fit, can I safely mount a 35mm tire on my RP1.0s? They (according to an online review) measure 21 outside and 15 inside. They come stock with 28 Duranos. Yes, I know with 35c tires any aero advantage would be negated, but I will not be racing, I'm just wondering if it is a safe setup?

Second, anyone know if the G-Ones are pretty true to size? If the 35s really are 35mm on my wheels, that would give just over 2mm clearance at the tightest point on each side. Good enough?

Thoughts?
I'm open to other suggestions, any other really good 32s I should look at?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-19, 12:37 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
If Schwalbe still make a Marathon tire, try that one for commuting. It is a tall tire so 35 should be adequate. Fenders for commuters in most regions.

edit: On my tandem = Schwalbe Marathon something in 32mm with reflective sidewalls

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-21-19 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-21-19, 03:30 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Will they fit : yes. But the tire profile will be distorted, not round. Only way to actually know the dimensions will be to try it.

Is it safe : maybe. Depends on what you mean by I’m a big guy. Carbon wheels and frames have lower weight limits than other common bike frame and wheel materials. Spoke count is also a limiting factor for heavy riders. Check with Scott. But other than possible weight limitations, the tires you are considering will be safe to mount on those rims.

Also worth considering : riding gravel or any hard packed surface with a rough and or loose top layer on a road bike that is not fitted with gravel specific wheels and tires is more about skill than tire size. Smooth road tread type tires of any size are not ideal as all road tires. And, you want a lot of frame clearance riding gravel and such to mitigate clogging and dings from stuff that the tires pick up. Check with Scott for their max recommenced wheel/tire size.

Good luck!
Old 07-22-19, 09:21 PM
Money D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I just realized that from the tire to the seat tube is only 4mm clearance. So I guess I'll have to stick with a 30 in the back? Or, since its only one radius and not two, would a 32 only be 2mm more (theoretically) than a 28?