Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rear View Mirrors: What's your experience?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Rear View Mirrors: What's your experience?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-05, 01:10 PM
Savas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vision correction is yet another reason mirrors help. Near sighted folks wearing glasses will recall turning the head with eyes trying to look behind and the scene looks blurry because the eyes rotate past the corrective lenses. Trying for the fast glance in this way invites disaster. This is especially so for folks with inflexible backs and those that can't rotate their heads like the Exorcist girl might be able to.
Old 09-30-05, 02:12 PM
hiracer
Hiracer

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero, Bacchetta Strada, Diamondback MTB, Lemond Sarthe DF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The take along mirror mounted on glasses doesn't work for me if I'm on the drops, which is about 45% of the time. I can't see over my shoulder. It blocks my view. Am I the only one with this problem?
Old 10-02-05, 02:33 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stumbled on a cheap handlebar-mounted mirror yesterday ($4) so i thought I'd give it a try. It's got a concave (convex?) mirror so it has a wider angle of view.

So far, there's one big problem. When I look in it, because of the distortion in the mirror, I see this cyclist (me) with an ENORMOUS midsection who looks like he's nine-months pregnant. Yes, I can see behind me as well, but I don't know -- this is NOT motivating!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-02-05, 03:23 PM
Stv

Bikes: 05 Specialized"Roubaix" Campy 10spd.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.aspirevelotech.com/Listings/Mirror.htm

To any of the users of the above mirror, my apologies in advance if the question has been answered already, cause I did reread the post and the question has been asked in a previous post and I can't find the answer, if it already has been given, but my question is .....(whew!)....................... once these babies have been bar taped in place, is the mirror adjustable for fine tuning the rear view **********

Thanx in advance !

Stv ;>)"
Old 10-02-05, 04:26 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I stumbled on a cheap handlebar-mounted mirror yesterday ($4) so i thought I'd give it a try. It's got a concave (convex?) mirror so it has a wider angle of view.

So far, there's one big problem. When I look in it, because of the distortion in the mirror, I see this cyclist (me) with an ENORMOUS midsection who looks like he's nine-months pregnant. Yes, I can see behind me as well, but I don't know -- this is NOT motivating!
You see me when you look in your mirror? Gawsh, dropped again.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-02-05, 07:31 PM
Cycliste

Bikes: Surley LHT, Cannondale R1000, IBEX Ignition, Bianchi Boardwalk, KHS Milano Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hiracer
The take along mirror mounted on glasses doesn't work for me if I'm on the drops, which is about 45% of the time. I can't see over my shoulder. It blocks my view. Am I the only one with this problem?
There are so many adjustments to it, including the possibility of bending the arm itself (flexible and strong) that makes it great in every position on the bars.
Old 10-02-05, 09:28 PM
rfctx

Bikes: Motobecane, Cannondale, Gary Fisher, LeMond, Merlin Cyrene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Goncalo Alves]I bought an "Aspire VeloTech" mirror that attaches to the drop bar end, go here for a good description with photos: https://www.aspirevelotech.com/Listings/Mirror.htm

He also sells them on Ebay, do a search for "road bike mirror" and you'll find it.

>>>>>>>>>snip>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have one as well. Tried them all, and I have found it to be the best mirror for me. The mirror really does not adjust .. you can kind of move it a bit ... most likely due to my tape job!
Old 10-03-05, 09:39 AM
MaryAnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BJ Ondo
Well after trying to use one of those little "helmet mirrors", I just gave up, there a RPIA, IMHO! I've installed handlebar end mirrors on mine and the Mrs. bicycles and we really like them. Our's we less than $10 and do a great job, we angled then so they go "under the handlebar grip" on the left side of the bicycle, that way they don't get in the way of your shifting, etc.

IF we ever go back to clip on mirrors, I'll try the the kind that clip to your glasses not the one's that clip to the helmet, JMHO.
I am very curious. I figured out RPIA but I've run across IMHO several times and haven't been able to figure it out.
Thanks!
P.S. I've tried helmet mirrors and a mirror then sat on the top tube with which you were supposed to be able to view between your legs. Neither worked for me so I just got used to using my neck A LOT!
Old 10-03-05, 09:44 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MaryAnn
I am very curious. I figured out RPIA but I've run across IMHO several times and haven't been able to figure it out.
Thanks!
P.S. I've tried helmet mirrors and a mirror then sat on the top tube with which you were supposed to be able to view between your legs. Neither worked for me so I just got used to using my neck A LOT!

In My Humble Opinion
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-03-05, 10:10 AM
Goncalo Alves

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stv
...once these babies have been bar taped in place, is the mirror adjustable for fine tuning the rear view **********
I can't say for sure, because right now I just have my mirror attached with zip ties. My hunch is that you'd be able to make slight adjustments. Anyone else know?

One advantage of using zip ties is that I can easily remove the mirror whenever I want. Bear in mind that many bars (like mine) are wrapped starting from the bar end to the stem, which means you have to completely unwrap it to properly install the mirror.
Old 10-03-05, 04:35 PM
MaryAnn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
In My Humble Opinion
Thank you so much. I love it and will use it interminably and it will be all your fault!
Old 10-03-05, 06:36 PM
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hiracer
Linda and I use the take-a-look mirror and both spend a lot of time in the drops. Takes a bit of getting used to, but they work fine from that angle too.

Steve
Old 10-03-05, 07:28 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MaryAnn
Thank you so much. I love it and will use it interminably and it will be all your fault!
My Daddy always told me that no good deed goes unpunished.
Old 10-04-05, 02:04 PM
Lurch
Fossil

Bikes: Izip E3 Path Plus Step Thru , Raleigh Misceo

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After reading so many positive mirror endorsements, I dug an old glasses mount mirror out of one of too many boxes of bike stuff in the garage for the ride to work today. It worked great! My hybrid commuter has an upright riding position so my shoulder did not block the field of view. It may look like the pocket protector of the bicycle world, but it worked so well, I don't care.
Old 10-13-05, 06:07 PM
jimshapiro
Jim Shapiro

Bikes: Bianchi Imola (road), Bianchi Axis (general), Centurion Elite RS (fixed gear), Centurion Elite GS (lunch rides at work), Miyata (work in progress), Trek 7000 (mountain biking)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stv
https://www.aspirevelotech.com/Listings/Mirror.htm

To any of the users of the above mirror, my apologies in advance if the question has been answered already, cause I did reread the post and the question has been asked in a previous post and I can't find the answer, if it already has been given, but my question is .....(whew!)....................... once these babies have been bar taped in place, is the mirror adjustable for fine tuning the rear view **********

Thanx in advance !

Stv ;>)"
Here is a picture of the Aspire Velotech mirror mounted on my cyclocross bike (with a reflection of yours truly taking the photo). I can get a little adjustment by rotating the mirror, but not too much. On the other hand, because of the mirror's design it shows a large area and it doesn't have to be perfectly adjusted to work well. Also, I rotated my handlebars a bit as suggested in the accompanying instructions, and it made quite a bit of difference. All in all, I am very pleased with this mirror.

Jim
Old 10-13-05, 06:14 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BigGuy
I did find that the glue stick-on pad will gradually weaken and it will fall off.
I called the manufacturer and asked about this issue. They cheerfully sent me a little package of replacement sticky pads, a base mount, and a couple of spare mirrors. Free.

Can't beat the customer service!

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-14-05, 10:27 PM
2 wheeler
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mirrors have saved my life on two occasions. I had to completely leave the road as 18 wheelers zoomed by directly over where I had been riding. On one of these times, I had to go off of a 4' wide shoulder into the grass to avoid being hit. There's no doubt in my mind this trucker was trying to kill me. A mirror prevented it.

I'm using a modified 3rd Eye mirror. The mirror itself in rectangular and measures 1/2 by 3/8 inch. It's teeny, but doesn't block my view like the big round mirror that the 3rd Eye comes with. I can easily see all that I need to see in the little mirror.

On the theory that it's better to turn around and look, I disagree. First, the roads I ride on have no shoulder and usually drop off into rocks. If you blow it (don't hold a straight line while looking backwards), you're in deep trouble, fast. These same roads are narrow and any veering to the left could get you into trouble if a car is closer than you think. Second, I ride in twisty mountain roads and on downhills, the noise of the air rushing by the ears makes it impossible to hear a car. If you don't hear one, you most likely won't turn around. A peek in the mirror is all it takes!

Mirrors - they are lifesavers!!!!
Old 10-14-05, 10:42 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Bar mounted mirrors tend to virate and get knocked about and when you steer around a corner . . .
Use and prefer eyeglass frame mounted mirrors. Have used several types; most of them break easy.
The two I use are the one handd-made by Chuck Harris in Ohio or the Take-A-Look.
Excellent products and they l-a-s-t!
Old 10-16-05, 09:44 AM
FunkyTang
'07 Dean El Diente

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the mirror I use on my road bike. It doesn't increase the bike's width very much. See https://www.aspirevelotech.com/Listings/Mirror.htm

Old 10-16-05, 12:17 PM
cruzMOKS
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Tak-A-Look mirror attached to my glasses (has helmet attachment also)
I noticed in the early morning the sun is in my left eye when going south and I can't focus on the mirror because my eyes are dialated closed.

Otherwise they work great.
Old 10-23-05, 05:40 AM
trmcgeehan

Bikes: 1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have tried helmet mounted mirrors, but was always knocking them off. So I now have bar end mirrors on all four of my bikes. I wouldn't ride without a rear view mirror. Looking around to see what's coming is downright dangerous, especially when you're going at a good pace. I also rely on my hearing. If a car is overtaking me and they don't slow down as they approach me, I get concerned and check things out in my mirror. I don't hesitate to ride off the road if someone is approaching too fast or too close.
Old 10-23-05, 05:48 PM
Skipper

Bikes: Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Mirrycle mirror on both of my bicycles.

When I bought my Trek 7300FX, the Mirrycle was one of the accessories I bought along with it. Once adjusted the mirror works really well. The mirror gives me a very good view of what is behind me without spending a lot of time looking at it.

When I bought a Trek 1500, I 'borrowed' the Mirrycle mirror from my wife's bicycle and mounted it on the bar end. At first I used all of the bracket sections. I didn't like that configuration, so I removed one of the bracket sections to shorten the linkage between the end of the handlebar and the mirror. The mirror is infinitely adjustable and gives a good view of what is going on behind me. Others will likely have different experiences, however, a single setting of the Mirrycle affords me a good view whether I am on the hoods or on the drops.

I have not been riding for a very long time. I bought the 7300FX in July of 2005, the 1500 in October 2005. Maybe I need to get more than my current 1000 miles behind me before I start to worry about the 'Dork' factor of my safety equipment. Or, maybe I will continue to go through life preferring to look like a dork instead of roadkill.
Old 10-23-05, 06:59 PM
jonbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone knowledge or expierience with a rear facing miniture Video camera and a 7" monitor on the handle bars? I rigged it up at a motorcycle rally once and the video turned out great.
Old 11-24-05, 02:41 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thought I'd close the loop on my mirror questions. I found one that works for me -- the Third Eye handlebar mirror. It mounts to the END of a flatbar, not on top. This way, it's out there far enough that I"m not seeing ME in the mirror, I'm seeing the road behind me. And it's flat, not convex or concave or whatever, so objects seem to appear to be as far away as they actually are. Took only a couple of rides to get used to it, and now I'm hooked on it.

There would be no need for one, but I'm tempted to mount one of the right hand side as well, just to keep my bike's symmetry.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 11-24-05, 09:00 PM
gps_dr
GeoBiker / Mapper

Bikes: 2007 Gary Fisher Piranha & ~ 1984 Ross Mt Whitney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could never use the handlebar mirrors, way to much vibration.
Helmet mirror works great. Gets bumped out of wack occaisionally,
but is easily reset. I ride in an upright position.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.