Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

MKS Sylvan Track Best Price **Sticky Suggestion**

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 11:41 AM
nausea95
Austin, TX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First of all, after posting a few threads about best price on sugino 75, these pedals, and seeing post after post about "where to get this at best price" I think it'd be a DAMN good idea to have a sticky dedicated to price watching and random found deals, like those websites pricewatch.com, buy.com, or whatever those are. Anyway, just seems like it'd make sense so someone could just search that thread for the product rather than skimming through several threads on a component looking for suggestions. Plus I know there are some of you who run out of things to post about, and that'd give you something to do, right?

So... my question, best price for MKS Sylvan Track (black or silver, price is more important)?

Also, while I'm posting anyway, MKS Unique Customer are only $20 more (going off Business Cycles prices), I'm not going to be spending $20 for nicer looking pedals and a somewhat smoother spin with sealed bearings, but curious if anyone has ridden them and has opinions. Last post on them in December no one really had much experience with them.
Old 02-07-06, 11:48 AM
nausea95
Austin, TX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
edit: the "sylvan track" on ben's cycle has a custom unique displayed. as far as i can tell they are exactly the same in appearance as the sylvans, except the stamping of course.

https://www.benscycle.net/store/image...pedals_LRG.jpg

Last edited by nausea95; 02-07-06 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-07-06, 11:49 AM
mattface 

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T, Soma Rush, Razesa Racer, ⅔ of a 1983 Holdsworth Professional, Nishiki Riviera Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts
IRO has them for $22.
$44 with MKS clips and EAI straps
Old 02-07-06, 11:51 AM
dolface
Iguana Subsystem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the ones you're showing from businesscycles are custom nuevos, not unique customs
Old 02-07-06, 11:55 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
i don't like the idea of a "best price" sticky. support your LBS instead, if you can afford it. and I have the feeling that most people on this board buying pricey equipment can afford to spend an extra fifteen or twenty bucks on a thingy in order to support your LBS.
Old 02-07-06, 11:55 AM
nausea95
Austin, TX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dolface
the ones you're showing from businesscycles are custom nuevos, not unique customs
I'm a dumbass. so... maybe they are just sylvans with an njs stamp. that'd make sence then for ben's to post a photo of them instead of sylvans if they look the same.
Old 02-07-06, 11:56 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

MKS sylvans are not NJS stamped. those pedals that you posted say "MKS Unique Custom," which, along with the NJS stamp, would suggest to me that they are not MKS Sylvans, but rather, a differently-named, NJS-stamped, and probably more expensive cousin that looks like sylvans.
Old 02-07-06, 11:58 AM
ZappCatt
Back to being a Clyde....

Bikes: Giant OCR1(specialized carbon seatpost,Terry Fly sadle, Syntace C2): Leader TT frame, Easton EC70fork, Aerolite bars, nashbar bullhorn, Titan Wheels: Fuji Track Pro(2003)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
i don't like the idea of a "best price" sticky. support your LBS instead, if you can afford it. and I have the feeling that most people on this board buying pricey equipment can afford to spend an extra fifteen or twenty bucks on a thingy in order to support your LBS.
Most of us don't have an LBS to support...That is why we come here for all of our info/comments/suggestions.
Old 02-07-06, 11:59 AM
mattface 

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T, Soma Rush, Razesa Racer, ⅔ of a 1983 Holdsworth Professional, Nishiki Riviera Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts
Unless someone is willing to give you a $20 break on a Sugino 75 crankset?
Old 02-07-06, 12:01 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Originally Posted by mattface
Unless someone is willing to give you a $20 break on a Sugino 75 crankset?
ha! yeah... well...
Old 02-07-06, 12:03 PM
nausea95
Austin, TX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, i could probably afford to drop a little more on a set of pedals, but I'm not going to. they make plenty off me on wheelsets, frames, that kind of stuff that I don't mind special ordering through them. Anyway, no point in debating the ethics of online parts shopping, people obviously do it on here, and it would make it easier to find that information if it was all in one post.
Old 02-07-06, 12:05 PM
brunning

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the MKS royal nuevo and custom nuevo are way more expensive, but are head and shoulders above the sylvan. they're probably the nicest traditional clip and strap pedals i've ever used (the RX-1s, too).
Old 02-07-06, 12:06 PM
seaden
Dirty Fingers

Bikes: Motobecane Super Mirage Fixie, Somec Track Bike, Univega Supra Sport 14 sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's a good idea still. I buy what I can afford at my local bike shop..service and little parts. I did find out that they sell a good track wheelset for $225..I got them there and they gave me an even better deal...$200 plus free rim tape and tubes.

but still you can't find some stuff at your local bike shop and if it much much cheaper online...I'm going to buy it online...
Old 02-07-06, 12:08 PM
dolface
Iguana Subsystem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've got a set of custom nuevos,a nd they're awesome! (i've heard a few complaints that the rx-1s are a little too narrow for street use. ymmv)
Old 02-07-06, 01:22 PM
MLPROJECT
make way for the MGL

Bikes: khs aero track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i posted about these royal customs awhile back, but no one had any idea what they were. i think bridgestonejuvi said they were sylvans with sealed bearings with a low price point
Old 08-02-10, 10:37 PM
illnacord
RACINGMIX

Bikes: Steel Track, Titanium SS Hardtail, Carbon Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
op: here's the breakdown of MKS pedals. All are loose ball bearings except for the RX-1 and Custom Nuevo pedals which are over $100. The Royal Nuevo is like the custom nuevo except with silver quill plates and loose ball (like a Sugino 75 crankset bottom bracke and other NJS BB's and headsets). Nothing wrong with loose ball except if you are using these "njs" products on the road in winter weather as a daily beater. It's just that if you spin a Sylvan type pedal you can immediately tell the difference in bearings from the RX-1, Custom Nuevo Wide, etc. The finish, materials, polish, bearings, and in general, aura of the pedal is totally different between the $20 and $120 offerings. As crazy as that sounds ...