Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

New ordinance in Woodfin, NC

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-09, 09:39 AM
DireWolfNC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's a new Woodfin ordinance in effect. I saw a sign on Riverside Drive across the road from the riverside park between Old Leicester Hwy and Elk Mountain Dr stating that "Bicyclists must ride single file". The ordinance is 71.11, but I haven't found anything on the web to say whether it's specific to Riverside Drive or anywhere within the Woodfin town limits. Anyone else know anything about this?
Old 09-22-09, 05:58 AM
skiffrun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Have you tried contacting the local authorities?

Get a big group together. Put the slowest rider in front. Make sure everyone follows that ordinance -- until the locals police stop you and demand to know what's up. Calmly inform them that you're following the ordinance -- so no one can pass any slower cyclist -- and the result is a LONG line.

The best way to get rid of a bad rule or law is to enforce it to death.
Old 09-24-09, 03:17 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Interesting question whether the local ordinance is preempted by NC state law. Haven't checked the NC statute, but many state statutes provide that you can't ride more than 2 abreast (and have to be single file if riding 2 apreast would impede traffic.)

If that is in fact the NC statute, you may well have a good argument that the State statute would trump a city wide ban on riding 2 abreast.

I wouldn't rely on that argument, but if you did get ticketed, it would certainly be worth looking into.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-28-09, 10:49 AM
DireWolfNC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as I know, there's no law in NC that requires bicyclists to ride single file, nor is there a law that gives cyclists the right to ride two or more abreast. I think courtesy is the key here. I don't think that it should be a regulated thing.
Old 09-28-09, 12:13 PM
K&K_Dad
Schleckaholic

Bikes: '08 Trek 1.2, Schwinn Avenue Hybrid, '11 GT Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
taken directly from the NC Bike/Ped laws guidebook,
'Riding Two or More Abreast
There is no law that requires bicyclists to ride single file, nor is there a law that gives cyclists the right to ride two or more abreast. Some other states address this issue in their statutes, but there is no consistent treatment. It is always important to ride responsibly and courteously, so that cars may pass safely.'

unfortunately here says that local ordinances can address 'issues.' Since there is no law about 2 abreast they can enforce a local ordinances. At least the way I'm reading it. Sorta the way this is presented,
'Riding on Sidewalks
The General Statutes do not address bicycling on sidewalks. Rather this issue is usually addressed through local ordinances. Please refer to the section on Local Ordinances on page 24 of this guide.'
I know in Beaufort if you're riding on the sidewalk the cops will stop you and yell at you and tell you to get on the road, unless you're a kid and you don't belong on the road.
Old 10-27-09, 12:49 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
(and have to be single file if riding 2 apreast would impede traffic.)
Not sure what this really even means in most cases. If you're on the country roads that most roadies frequent you can't safely pass a cyclist without crossing the yellow. At that point, what does it matter how far left of center you have to go? It shouldn't slow you down any more or less.

What the law is asking you to do is make it easier for motorists to pass you in an unsafe manner.