Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

70`s Fuji America

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-12, 02:30 PM
jmagruder10

Bikes: Viner Track Bianchi Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
70`s Fuji America

What can I sell this one for? I will tune and clean before selling. 53cm frame Nice lugs and paint is nice.
https://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...0/P7011273.jpg
Old 07-01-12, 02:34 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Just looking at it, I'd say $200, but take the first $175 that emails you. How about some more pictures and a description of what it is (components, a catalog link, year, anything)? You should be doing this research anyway if you want to get it sold.

Edit: Looks like it's a 1978. The seatpost is the stock unit, but the stock saddle is long gone.

Edit2: fix your chain.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang

Last edited by IthaDan; 07-01-12 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-01-12, 02:39 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Too small for me but I've wanted one of these for a while. I think it's worth north of $200 to someone who actually wants one of these. Your bike appears to be in good shape with original parts. That said, if it were my size, I would have agreed with IthaDan on the price and e-mailed you an offer of $175!
Old 07-01-12, 02:56 PM
IthaDan 

I said that price because I know nothing about the bike other than what I can see in the picture- it has barcons, a tiny BCD crank, a matching water bottle, a chain that hasn't been threaded properly (signifying value oblivious owner) and maybe an arabesque RD. With proper info I wouldn't have had to infer any of that, and I would have noticed that the seat wasn't original, the pump was missing and it was 1978 (or 1979) with a suntour cyclone RD.

Old 07-01-12, 02:59 PM
jmagruder10

Bikes: Viner Track Bianchi Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IthaDan
Just looking at it, I'd say $200, but take the first $175 that emails you. How about some more pictures and a description of what it is (components, a catalog link, year, anything)? You should be doing this research anyway if you want to get it sold.

Edit: Looks like it's a 1978. The seatpost is the stock unit, but the stock saddle is long gone.

Edit2: fix your chain.
Yes I know the chain needs work, This picture is just how I got the bike , I have not washed or worked on it yet. The deraillers and hubs are Suntour Cyclone , suntour bar end shifters, cranks are Super mighty touring.
Old 07-01-12, 03:03 PM
IthaDan 

Originally Posted by jmagruder10
Yes I know the chain needs work, This picture is just how I got the bike , I have not washed or worked on it yet. The deraillers and hubs are Suntour Cyclone , suntour bar end shifters, cranks are Super mighty touring.
The chain won't take any tools- it's a 5 second "repair"- just rethread it through the pulleys and you're good to go. 99% sure cyclone RDs have a split cage for just this purpose.

It is pretty.

Old 07-01-12, 03:08 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I happen to like Ithaca (you're lucky to live in such a beautiful area) and I wasn't really arguing with you. I just happen to think that a Fuji America from the 70s is a desirable bike. I agree with you about the chain (and what that might say about not being properly taken care of). The crank appears to be a classic Sugino triple (110/74 bcd) which is fairly common for touring bikes.

Edit: those are nice vintage parts on the bike and appear to be largely original.
Old 07-01-12, 07:38 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 109 Posts
$350+ if you clean the bike and replace the chain and tape. The America was a very fine bike and is still well regarded.

At $175, I'd be tempted just to get the crankset, wheels(mediocre, but I like them), and bottle.
Old 07-05-12, 06:48 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I agree. This bike needs to be thoroughly cleaned and presented. I'm thinking more towards the $350-375 range - if you focus on the touring heritage and get the bike into very clean rideable shape. PG
Old 07-06-12, 09:35 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
The Fuji America was a well-regarded, fairly nice-riding sport-tour bike, but Fuji in general is undervalued and not as well known as Schwinn, Trek, Specialized, Raleigh, etc. Yours looks pretty clean, a plus, but it's a fairly small frame, which generally brings less. Value will depend on where you market it, how nicely you spiff it up, and how well you photograph/describe it. I'd guess $250-$300 on ebay or in good forum ads wouldn't be tough. $350-$375 on ebay if it all looks drop-dead gorgeous and you luck into two determined bidders.

I looked on ebay, couldn't find any selling within the past 30 days. Haven't tracked these for a long time, bought/sold one on ebay maybe 4yrs ago, under $400 IIRC?

By undervalued I mean compared to other similar makes/models. Raleigh Int'l, Trek 600-/700-series, etc can get higher prices for similarly clean examples.
Old 07-06-12, 09:58 PM
IthaDan 

Originally Posted by beech333
$350+ if you clean the bike and replace the chain and tape. The America was a very fine bike and is still well regarded.

At $175, I'd be tempted just to get the crankset, wheels(mediocre, but I like them), and bottle.
FWIW, the $175 price was pulled out of the ether to show how much adding information to an ad can bring up value. I didn't know the hierarchy of the fuji line (still don't) but looking at it, that was what I was guessing on appearance alone.

It's pretty simple, more info = more money.

Old 07-07-12, 06:55 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
I would say $300-$350 cleaned up and well presented. The Suntour VGt shift group with Barcons and the nice Sugino triple add a lot of value to the right buyer. The bar tape, chain, cables and likely seat would need to be changed to get top dollar. When it comes to bikes in smaller sizes a lot of potential buyers are women so asytetics help a lot and simple stuff like new colored bar tape and cables that go with the bike can add $100 to the actual selling price.