Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Slow race?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-05, 10:56 PM
Smorgasbord
Employee

Bikes: Bridgestone 450, A Camera, 46x18 Fixed Gear, Homebrew Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slow race?

I've seen promos for alleycats with "slow race" as one of the events. How is this conducted? I assume riders cannot trackstand, but how is this enforced?
Old 02-03-05, 02:18 AM
Terror_in_pink

Bikes: Custom Holland Ti road bike, Custom track bike I traded a painting for.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, since no one has replied to this day old thread, i'll just reply and say i have no idea whatsoever. maybe they make them ride on some kind of banking, like a hill sideways and see who can go the slowest? That's how racers jockey for the better position in match sprints at the velodrome.
Old 02-03-05, 03:27 AM
Erich Zann
LV 99 9999HP/9999MP

Bikes: crappy fake bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i guess if the race gets that slow they might have to take their feet off their pedals
Old 02-03-05, 07:34 AM
Ya Tu Sabes
Rebel Thousandaire

Bikes: Public D8, Yuba Mundo (cargo), Novara Buzz (1-speed, soon to be 2-speed w/ a kickback hub), Xootr 1-speed folder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know how they run this at alleycats, but in the old days when every bike was a fixed gear (like in the 1880s, I mean), bicycle races and exhibitions would always have a slow race, mostly for comic effect, in which riders vied to finish a course last without falling over. Of course, they were riding high-wheelers, so putting a foot down wasn't even an option - you really toppled in a big way and there was real injury potential. This was also an era in which people liked to bet on how many rats a dog could kill in a certain period of time.
Old 02-03-05, 11:26 AM
manboy
The King of Town

Bikes: Haro Backtrail 20" (MISSING), Fuji Berkeley fixie, Huffy cruisercommuterdeathmobile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They probably just have judges who boo and holler whenever they think someone is doing something wrong.
Old 02-03-05, 11:32 AM
dolface
Iguana Subsystem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
found this here https://www.qcw.org/kob/

"Slow Race – A box is created on the ground and riders enter the box on their bike and try to remain in the box for as long as possible without putting their foot down. Longest time in the box wins"