Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is the difference between SIS shifting and friction shifting?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What is the difference between SIS shifting and friction shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-19, 06:33 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Sorry to confound things, but depending on the age of your bike, with 7 speeds in the rear, you may have a cassette and freehub rather than a freewheel...
Yes, that's a possibility but with an entry level Tourney derailleur, a 7 speed freewheel has a much higher probability.
Old 04-25-19, 06:58 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Index vs. Friction?

Friction shifting teaches you to anticipate shifts in advance, and create muscle memory and "feel" about where you want your chain (via the shifters) at a given time. In order to create a consistent cadence, you learn what works, where it works, and how you make it work. You listen for tell-tale sounds that the chain is moving and then the silence when it gets where it's going, coupled with the feel in your legs of the difference in gear ratios.

Moving from friction to index takes a lot of the muscle memory out of the equation, as the chain will go a specified distance for each click, and you don't have to worry about it "sitting right." You listen for and anticipate the click, then the silence as the chain settles where it needs to. (If properly adjusted). It leaves multiple-cog shifts less to chance. If you retain the anticipation of your shifts and strive for a consistent cadence, it's not that different, but it's less prone to you being "off" a bit.
Old 04-26-19, 07:42 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Everyone needs to look at the dates of the posts. This thread ran its course in 2014 and was dormant until Kyle revived it with a sort-of-unrelated question.
But check post number 16 and you will see that someone, now, is looking for an answer that he or she can understand. In my mind, there is no such thing as a Zombie thread on Bike Forums. Only new people asking for the same kinds of help that we all did years ago.
Old 04-26-19, 08:11 AM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As a kid in the 60's and 70's I grew up with crappy Schwinn friction derailleurs. I forget what brand they used. I hated them. When I got Shimano 105, SIS in the late 80's it was like an entirely new experience. Much prefer the SIS.
Old 04-27-19, 10:28 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
But check post number 16 and you will see that someone, now, is looking for an answer that he or she can understand. In my mind, there is no such thing as a Zombie thread on Bike Forums. Only new people asking for the same kinds of help that we all did years ago.
Yes, I saw that and I referenced it in my reply. T-Mar and The Golden Boy gave good replies but then things went south.

The problem is the people who are not reading the whole thread while noting the dates of the postings.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..