Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Contador a winner, but never a champion

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Contador a winner, but never a champion

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 01:59 PM
Keith99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fynn
I think i can explain the difference. The General Classification contenders are primarily sorted out by this time. The Tour de France is a race that is 20 stages and will cover a total distance of 3,642 kilometres. Being an incredible feat to cover that distance in that time, it probably became obvious to the riders 90+ years ago that it would be a shame to have one little incident like a flat tire or a chain falling off, cost you the entire chance at winning the entire event.

The chances of having such an incident in that length of time are tremendous. Knowing that, if everyone always attacked, how often would you actually end up with the best rider winning the Tour de France. You would end up with a lot more riders with good luck winning instead of having the best riders win.
Let's see. 90+ years ago riders were responsible for repair of their own mechanicals. Not finishing with everything you started a stage with (like a sweater because it was cold, but that becomes a useless burden once thigns warm up) would result in a time penalty that if applied post WW II woul dhave ruined all but a handfull of riders chances of a GC win. 90 years ago if a chain broke you had better have been able to fix it yourself. If not with what yuo had on hte bike then wafter a long walk into town. (And whatever you do, do not have the blacksmith's asaistant pump the bellows). Heck it just might work out that 90 years ago was one of those times where the GC was decided on stage placing!

In the last 10 years riders have been all but eliminated in the GC standings because they got caught behind a crash on a long section going over water. Not just one rider, but several.

The unwritten rule is one does not take advantage of a mechanical that occurs before the real racing starts. Sounds like the racing had already started.
Old 07-19-10, 01:59 PM
gear

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flash
AS is set because he has some fantastic extra motivation..
You would think winning the TdF would be all the motivation he would need.
Old 07-19-10, 02:10 PM
Keith99

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gear
You would think winning the TdF would be all the motivation he would need.
The TDF is a long competition. If Andy rides in anger he is far more apt to do something 'heroic' and stupid that lands him off the podium than he is apt to do something good enough to pass AC.
Old 07-19-10, 02:11 PM
BCRoad

Bikes: '93 Mongoose IBOC COMP, '98 Trek 2100

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Bjarne Riis summed it up well on Velo News:

"It’s hard to say. I didn’t really see what happened,” he said. “If Contador waits, the other guys have to wait, too. He needs to follow, of course. It’s a ****ty situation.”

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
BTW, I love that commercial where Andy and Alberto are riding trainers and trying to outdo each other with their wattage numbers, climb times, animal wrestling etc.
It's the only ad I don't fast forward through. I laugh every time I hear AC blurt out "I wrestled a bear!" like it's the only response he can think of.

Originally Posted by wabbit
please, if lance did the same thing, everyone would say what a great competitor he is. It's sports folks, not an episode of Degrassi.
I'm guessing that few non-Canucks are going to get the Degrassi reference.
Old 07-19-10, 02:12 PM
Keith99

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just for fun I looked up the 1920 Tour. It was the first time the Tour had been won by the same rider for the 3rd time. The second place rider finishe 57 minutes 21 seconds back. I don't think the Lantern Rouge had been created, but the last placed rider to finsh was 22nd and 69 hours 5 seconds back.
Old 07-19-10, 02:13 PM
TommyL
convert

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone XO-4, 2006 Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRoad

I'm guessing that few non-Canucks are going to get the Degrassi reference.
20 miles from the border and clueless.
Old 07-19-10, 02:21 PM
lilyprotector

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TommyL
I think the issue is with someone creating a false id just to stir up trouble. If you're going to cal Contador names, you should at least use your real fake internet persona, as opposed to a fake fake internet persona.
very funny LOL
Old 07-19-10, 02:49 PM
Fynn

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe the reason Contador didn't understand that Schleck's chain had come off was because it happened in English.
Old 07-19-10, 03:07 PM
Paniolo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Today was the 100th year anniversary of Le Tour coming to the Pyranees. Many of those watching along the roads have seen the Tour over those roads every year of their lives. They are VERY knowledgeable Tour fans. It was telling that half the crowd at the yellow jersey presentation to Contador were booing him.

Contador obviously feels embarrassed, saying he didn't know what happened. There is no way he didn't know. I assume (at my peril!) every one rides. It is very obvious when someones chain comes off on a climb as they slow to a stop with their legs uselessly trying to pedal. Contador had plenty of time as he was catching up and passing to see what was happening. Heck as he went by he practically had to swerve to avoid AS dismounting his bike!

I would actually respect him more if he said he knew what was happening but tough luck, that's racing. Instead he attacks, then when asked about it tries to blame Menchov and Sanchez. If Contador had asked them and they refused, thats one thing. But when he keeps riding hard what else can they do.
Old 07-19-10, 03:09 PM
prettyshady

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe the reason Contador didn't understand that Schleck's chain had come off was because it happened in English.
lol
Old 07-19-10, 03:23 PM
Howzit
Big Blade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off, a dropped chain because of inferior equipment is hardly bad luck I would say. 4 flat tires before a climb I would say is bad luck. A dog running across and knocking you over is bad luck. A chain slipping gears is just plain useless equipment, Im sorry.

People forget that Armstrong changed cycling history. At the end of the day, Armstrong paraded around with money falling out of his pockets with endorsements and making commercials.
He made it all about how much publicity and money can you make.
Why should Contador be blamed for taking advantage of a situation? At the end of it all, like I said, sponsors have to be answered to, sportsmanship or not, because of how much profit can be made from winning. If Contador had waited, his sponsors are going to ask why he DIDNT take advantage. With so much at stake, sports in general have changed, not only just cycling.

They should switch back to Campy or Shimano and quit crying over a slipped chain in 2010.
Old 07-19-10, 03:29 PM
kleinboogie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not saying it's black and white either. In fact i don't even get it. It's apparently very cultural. In American we are basically taught to try and win regardless.

I can't think of a sporting event where mechanical failures would cause the other competitors to stop, pause or anything of the sort. I'm just taking what I witnessed on TV during the incident and what I know about TdF sportsmanship (very little) and stating what probably should have happened all things considered.
You need to get out more. There are plenty of sports that will not take advantage of someone with a mechanical of sorts. Boxing, or every other contact sport, where they'll stop the fight to fix a glove, shoe lace or shorts issue.

But, to your point, they won't stop a Nascar race because the car, pit crew and the drivers handling of the car are an integral part of the competition.

In cycling, at least my understanding of history, the bike and all its technology and usage is not considered a key factor in the race or at least should not be which is why "bike doping" po'd so many people. That is except in the time trial where aero is important and in that case the rider, like Nascar drivers, will not slow down if a competitor has a mechanical because how you get through that stage is purely you and your bike.

Finally, this idea of not hitting an opponent when they're down is one of the strong appeals of cycling for many of us in America and all of Europe. It's a sport that lives on guts, honor and tradition. Take one or two of those away and you're left with chaos at best and the NFL at worst.

I'll just say that Contador didn't go a long way to maintaining those traditions which is why he was booed on international television.
Old 07-19-10, 03:30 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash
This is how I saw it as well. Whether Contator is in the wrong for taking advantage of the mechanical is not so important now. AS is set because he has some fantastic extra motivation. Seeking revenge could very well drive him to his first TdF crown. As for Contador, he seems destined to play the role of evil apprentice, despite his record of success. Based on what I've seen of Contador as a bicycle racer, I don't like him (neither tactics nor riding style -- can't stand the bunny-hop bouncing he does on the pedals). I have no idea what he's like off the bike.

Excellent developments today for fans of the TdF. Lots of drama on the way.
Since I follow multiple international sports (F1, MotoPG, World Superbike, etc.) I'm starting to wonder if this kind of behavior isn't something inherently Spanish (the comment that Americans are taught to win in sports twigged my thinking). What I'm reading here on Contrador could have just as easily been said about Dani Pedrosa, #1 rider for the Repsol Honda factory effort in MotoGP. Back in 2006 at the next to the last race of the season in Estoril, he tried a bone-headed pass on American Nicky Hayden (who was leading the championship) taking out both of them and almost costing Hayden the championship.

Pedrosa's reputation is about the same that Contrador is developing: Outside of Spain his abilities are acknowledged, but he is not well respected as a competitor.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 07-19-10, 03:31 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by Howzit
First off, a dropped chain because of inferior equipment is hardly bad luck I would say. 4 flat tires before a climb I would say is bad luck. A dog running across and knocking you over is bad luck. A chain slipping gears is just plain useless equipment, Im sorry...
Contador and Astana are running SRAM also.
Old 07-19-10, 03:36 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Howzit
First off, a dropped chain because of inferior equipment is hardly bad luck I would say. 4 flat tires before a climb I would say is bad luck. A dog running across and knocking you over is bad luck. A chain slipping gears is just plain useless equipment, Im sorry.

People forget that Armstrong changed cycling history. At the end of the day, Armstrong paraded around with money falling out of his pockets with endorsements and making commercials.
He made it all about how much publicity and money can you make.
Why should Contador be blamed for taking advantage of a situation? At the end of it all, like I said, sponsors have to be answered to, sportsmanship or not, because of how much profit can be made from winning. If Contador had waited, his sponsors are going to ask why he DIDNT take advantage. With so much at stake, sports in general have changed, not only just cycling.

They should switch back to Campy or Shimano and quit crying over a slipped chain in 2010.
Contador should be blamed because he "earned" his yellow jersey by attacking a mechanical.

It's considered a less than sporting move by many fans...and unworthy of a true champion.

If Contador had told Menchov and Sanchez to back off, they would have. All 3 could have waited for the yellow jersey to rejoin - none of their positions with respect to other riders were threatened.

If Vino wanted to attack, that would be OK. But for #2, 3, and 4 to attack when the yellow jersey drops a chain is without honor.
Old 07-19-10, 03:37 PM
Howzit
Big Blade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Contador and Astana are running SRAM also.
Yes they are, and Contador should watch his chain, otherwise tomorrow its him with a dropped chain if he is not careful. If thats the case, I wont feel bad for him either.
Old 07-19-10, 03:41 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP

If Contador had told Menchov and Sanchez to back off, they would have. All 3 could have waited for the yellow jersey to rejoin - none of their positions with respect to other riders were threatened. ...
Please explain:

1. How you know for certain that they would have waited
2. That this wasn't done

Seems to me you're presuming a fair amount, and attempting to pass it off as a given.
Old 07-19-10, 03:47 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Please explain:

1. How you know for certain that they would have waited
2. That this wasn't done

Seems to me you're presuming a fair amount, and attempting to pass it off as a given.
Because if Contador had told them to slow down, they would have. As a two-time winner, he has a reputation, and power within the peloton.

Slowing the group down to wait for a fallen rider is part of the tradition of cycling. Contador said nothing to the other riders...instead, he put his head down and hammered to try and take as many seconds as he could.

Armstrong waited for Ullrich. Ullrich waited for Armstrong.

Contador will forever be seen as the guy who didn't wait when he could have...and should have.
Old 07-19-10, 03:51 PM
scuzzo

Bikes: cannondale 2.0,caad3,schwinn Peleton,Felt F35,2007 litespeed Vortex

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
has this ever happened before in a tour stage.. taking advantage of a mechanical? it luck of drawl but its weakens the contest.. if andy fell off the bike would AB taken advantage? it may be ok in the rule book but its weak.. there is a gentlemen agreement.. might as well attack in a feed station or on a natural break.. its all ok... sad..
Old 07-19-10, 03:59 PM
MikeM21

Bikes: '96 C40, '04 C50, '04 Merlin Magia, '97 Stumpjumper, '04 Specilaized Roubaix

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
Contador should be blamed because he "earned" his yellow jersey by attacking a mechanical.

It's considered a less than sporting move by many fans...and unworthy of a true champion.

If Contador had told Menchov and Sanchez to back off, they would have. All 3 could have waited for the yellow jersey to rejoin - none of their positions with respect to other riders were threatened.

If Vino wanted to attack, that would be OK. But for #2, 3, and 4 to attack when the yellow jersey drops a chain is without honor.
^^^^^THIS +1.

Contador once again is shameful.

I haven't read all of the posts so I don't know if anyone has pointed out the corollary in soccer - if a competitor is injured you intentionally play the ball to touch and the other team give it back when the injury is resolved.

Contador should have told the others to wait. Isn't he the Patron or not?
Old 07-19-10, 04:04 PM
Romans8:28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At what point in the pecking order does peloton waiting stop?

If number 2, 3, & 4 stops/slows then what about 5, 6, 7,and so on?

Is it "fair" for positions 5-20 (or more) gain back time on 2-4 because they backed off?

This is not a sport were a ref can blow a whistle and stop action or replay the down. Stopping for Andy could have lead to all manner of unforeseen consequences right?
Old 07-19-10, 04:08 PM
Howzit
Big Blade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeM21
^^^^^THIS +1.

Contador once again is shameful.

I haven't read all of the posts so I don't know if anyone has pointed out the corollary in soccer - if a competitor is injured you intentionally play the ball to touch and the other team give it back when the injury is resolved.

Contador should have told the others to wait. Isn't he the Patron or not?
AGAIN, you are all correct, in fact, I dont think anyone will disagree with the fact that traditionally one would wait, but lets not forget that times have changed, and the game has changed.
Money is the driving force behind a lot of what is going on in the sport now because of Lance.

Let me remind everyone of when big George was chased down by Garmin for no reason and robbed him of the yellow jersey, simply because of petty sponsorship rivalry. Garmin couldnt let another American team get ALL that TV coverage while their sponsors didnt.

Money, money, money. And we all know who to thank that caused the major shift.

Contador would have had a mouth full from sponsors if he did jack... and guess who signs his checks... not pundant bloggers and armchair discussions like this.
Old 07-19-10, 04:12 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Romans8:28
At what point in the pecking order does peloton waiting stop?

If number 2, 3, & 4 stops/slows then what about 5, 6, 7,and so on?

Is it "fair" for positions 5-20 (or more) gain back time on 2-4 because they backed off?

This is not a sport were a ref can blow a whistle and stop action or replay the down. Stopping for Andy could have lead to all manner of unforeseen consequences right?
No...if they had slowed down, riders behind (5, 6, 7, etc.) would not have passed them. Those riders were already further back...and they would have respected the gesture too.

If the Contador group had just soft pedaled for about 30 seconds, Schleck could have rejoined and the leaders could have once again started racing each other fair and square.

As it stands, Contador will be remembered for attacking the yellow jersey when he was off the bike.

Contador's actions dishonored the yellow jersey...and himself.
Old 07-19-10, 04:39 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
I have to give Vino some credit. He was the only one to respond to Schleck's attack and when the chain dropped he sat back down and slowed until AC decided to take advantage of the obvious mechanical situation. Very clear in the vid below.

https://www.everymantri.com/everyman_...r-attacks.html
Old 07-19-10, 04:53 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That video also shows how much of a gap Schleck's attack was putting into Contador. It looked like the decisive move, and like Contador was not going to be able to respond. It was only after Schlecks' chain came off that Alberto and the others caught up to Schleck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.