Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Very important question for the group

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Very important question for the group

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 08:47 AM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bikes: Guerciotti, Serotta, Gaulzetti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
I will say that I'm really impressed with how far aluminum has come. The manufacturers haven't just been sitting on their hands as carbon took over the pro peloton. I recently rode a friend's CAAD10, and the ride was really nice. Miles above the older and cheaper Al bikes I've ridden.
Old 08-05-15, 08:49 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky
I will say that I'm really impressed with how far aluminum has come. The manufacturers haven't just been sitting on their hands as carbon took over the pro peloton. I recently rode a friend's CAAD10, and the ride was really nice. Miles above the older and cheaper Al bikes I've ridden.
Agreed.

They ride great and are a real value for junior racers with a 105 build.

I've seen some descriptions online of the CAAD12 and it really looks nice as well.
Old 08-05-15, 08:52 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,805 Times in 1,409 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Performance well beyond most of our abilities including mine.
I think Steve was referring to this. Which I also don't understand.
Old 08-05-15, 08:56 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by iab
I think Steve was referring to this. Which I also don't understand.
Simple.

I just don't have the legs to push the capabilities of the frameset.

After multiple knee surgeries I'll leave it to the younger guys at the shop.

FWIW I sold my EPS to a fellow that raced it in the Nature Valley Grand Prix series for two summers.

He did it justice. imho
Old 08-05-15, 08:57 AM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Agreed.

They ride great and are a real value for junior racers with a 105 build.

I've seen some descriptions online of the CAAD12 and it really looks nice as well.
This one was the "Black Inc." model w/SRAM Red. Va-va-voom.
Old 08-05-15, 09:07 AM
gomango

This one was the "Black Inc." model w/SRAM Red. Va-va-voom.
This one?

Fun for sure.

Old 08-05-15, 09:18 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,805 Times in 1,409 Posts
Simple.

I just don't have the legs to push the capabilities of the frameset.

After multiple knee surgeries I'll leave it to the younger guys at the shop.

FWIW I sold my EPS to a fellow that raced it in the Nature Valley Grand Prix series for two summers.

He did it justice. imho
If that is the case, I am way too fat for any bike.

Old 08-05-15, 09:19 AM
TickDoc

Bikes: 2011 ciocc san cristobal. 2008 seven odonata. 1951 condor m05. 1990 ciocc San cristobal 2012 cervelo s3. 2001 Colnago ct-1. 1990 Concorde Astore.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The caad12 is the one that uses hydro forming? Opens up some neat possibilities for frame design.
Old 08-05-15, 09:31 AM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
The way you described it made it sound as if you did. Sorry. I thought that maybe all I need is a good cf bike and I can go back to eating donuts.
Old 08-05-15, 09:33 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
+1
Admit to enjoying a late model Giant with ALUXX whatever hydroformed tubes. Carbon fork. Have two pairs of mediocre wheels (prepped for cross and other for road) but its childs play climbing with it. Don't know why its not ridden much but really is an amazing bike for the money. The quality and workmanship is near perfect. Probably robot made. Paint and graphics perfect. Joints look perfect and smooth. It is a bit rough after 100+ mile days but I have the stock saddle on plus avg. tires. I'm sure if I changed those two items, it would be a long haul machine.
Old 08-05-15, 10:21 AM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

This one?

Fun for sure.

The caliper version. I think it's a good looking ride. Pretty classic lines.

Old 08-05-15, 11:00 AM
Steve Whitlatch 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
I went out for the LBS Saturday morning ride two weeks ago. It is a drop ride and it's basically the LBS racing team training ride. The owner was supposed to be there to hang back with me but was unable to make it. So I figured I would give it a shot anyway. I kept up with the pace line for about 2 1/2 miles then we hit the first hill. I watched that perfect pace line pull away from me until they disappeared. Then I turned around and did a solo ride on a route I knew. I would love to be able to blame it on my bike. Lol.
Old 08-05-15, 11:47 AM
rgver

Bikes: 1 frame and a heap of pieces

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A Cannondale R900(cf fork), Trek 1200 and 1220, Raleigh Technium 440 and a Giant OCR2(cf fork). All aluminum, all great bikes IMO. Moved on due to size or money issues, not for any dislike of the bike.
No carbon and no titanium.
The rest have been steel. Lemond has cf fork and my viscount had AL fork

Last edited by rgver; 08-05-15 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-05-15, 12:11 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
I kind of followed the market and employers for a while, exclusively steel till '84, Klein/C'dale fat welded aluminum till '90, Trek aluminum and OCLV carbon till '00. I wasn't very happy with how the aluminum frames rode, my warranty claim experience left me doubting whether CF was a sensible lifetime bicycle frame material, and I was falling under the Svengalian spell of Grant Petersen. My first lunchtime ride on an '00 Fuji Roubaix Pro, built with lightweight tig'd Reynolds 853 tubing, was the best ride I had in 15yrs. Everything about it felt "right." Fast, smooth, lively, speed when I needed it, less jarring over rough surfaces. I realized I hadn't felt that way since I last rode the Proteus frame I built at their framebuilding course in '82. So I got rid of all my non-ferrous frames and reconnected with steel. Other than an aluminum Giant Bowery fixed-gear frame I bought for rollers and winter, and which I've never actually ridden yet, it's all steel here.

There's materials and there's craftsmanship and aesthetics. With the advances in aluminum/cf materials and frame design, and with the advent of wider, supple tires, I don't doubt that there are alum/cf frames available today that ride as nicely as my favorite steel frames. But whether it's because I've (even only briefly) filed lugs and brazed steel, or because I've seen carbon bits assembled into frames with only bristle brushes and epoxy, none of the newer non-ferrous frames that might ride as nice fire my neurons, or make me smile, like well-built steel. I don't see the builder's hands at work. I don't think about all the decisions that had to be made about tube types, weight, butting profiles, and geometry, and tire clearance, etc. I don't see the little details that were sweat over. I don't see a brass fill or bilam that took hours to get right, and was put there just because it looks awesome.

1976 DiNucci/Strawberry seat lug:

2013 Chris Bishop seat lug:
Old 08-05-15, 12:30 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
OP- What's so important about this anyways?

All aside, you can make any great frame ride like crap with poor wheels and vice versa, a gaspipe ride well with decent handling on good wheel / tire setup.

I would think the question of importance should be where one rides and preferred frame, etc..

A heavier bike with light wheels on the smooth flats doesn't bother me and very acceptable. Get yourself very aero deep on a heavy gaspipe, use low rolling resistant rubber and you might be surprised. For the routes with climbs, of course prefer the lighter weight but torsional stiff. Doesn't matter what frame material.

Last edited by crank_addict; 08-05-15 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-05-15, 12:53 PM
ncrnelson

Bikes: 1983 Cannondale ST500, 1987 Cannondale SM400 with SA 3 speed hub, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1982 Schwinn Voyageur SP, 1992 Kona Explosif

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I've got 3 bikes, all aluminum. Aluminum is definitely real.

That said, my next bike will probably be steel, aluminum is all I've had since my Gary Fisher mountain bike when I was a kid. I gotta see what all this hype is about.
Old 08-05-15, 01:47 PM
TickDoc

Bikes: 2011 ciocc san cristobal. 2008 seven odonata. 1951 condor m05. 1990 ciocc San cristobal 2012 cervelo s3. 2001 Colnago ct-1. 1990 Concorde Astore.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
OP- What's so important about this anyways?
Just curiosity.

Partly because I wondered if there are any tried-and-true died-in the-wool c&v ers here who have yet to even dabble in anything other than steel.

Partly because I am constantly going between carbon and steel and my mind finds it a confusing thing:

Comfort v speed
sounds v silence
spinup v letdown
climbing v descending
twitchy-ness v solidity
heavy v light
aero v brick
complicated v simple
mechanical v electric
longevity v fragility

I love 'em both, but for very different reasons.
Old 08-05-15, 02:09 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
I'd say that, depending on how you define the terms, the 5 contrasts below are the only ones that are dependent on materials, at least within the constraints of practicality and safety. CF and steel sound resonance is different, can't build a safe steel frame as light as a safe CF frame, CF will always have more complex construction, CF can be built more aero, and CF will be more fragile.

The others can, realistically, be rendered the same in steel or CF.

Originally Posted by TickDoc
...I am constantly going between carbon and steel and my mind finds it a confusing thing:

sounds v silence
heavy v light
aero v brick
complicated v simple
longevity v fragility

I love 'em both, but for very different reasons.
Old 08-06-15, 01:07 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I've never owned anything other than steel, and I've also never paid more than $150 for a bike -- for myself, anyway. I once paid $500 for an aluminum Breezer Uptown 8 for my wife, but after a few years she figured out that she didn't like the geometry, and is now much happier with a steel Motobecane mixte (price before upgrades: $50).
Old 08-06-15, 07:03 PM
88prelude

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
steel (14)
Aluminum (3)
Titanium (0)
Carbon (1)

Started with heavy steel (given to me). My first bike I bought was aluminum as were the next two. Thought I'd try out Carbon- I'd still own it if I wasn't forced to sell it due to moving overseas. Came back to nice quality steel bikes and have appreciated the feel ever since.
Old 08-07-15, 06:37 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,496 Posts
I've had Cannondale frames, both the original and the newer 3.0 w/ cantilever dropouts. I never cared for them. They were lightish and accelerated well but I never liked the ride quality.

My first Ti bike was a '99 Bianchi MegaProXL Ti. and while it was a nice bike something about it never felt right to me. I tried different wheels and almost pulled the carbon fork but ended up selling it.

My second Ti bike a '97 MegaTube Ti with a huge "coffin shaped" aerofoil DT and it was a much better feeling bike for me.

I bought a NOS K2 Mainframe 6.0 carbon frame a few years ago a built it up with a mix Chorus and 7spd 600 index RD and never liked the ride. Despoite the frame being the correct size, the saddle to pedal height, saddle to bar reach being correct and very approximate to my Bianchis it always felt funny, like the back end was much lower than the front sort of like the rear had a 650c rim or something. I sol the frame off.

I also had a Trek 1200 rebuilt with some older friction Chorus and it was OK but nothing special so it was passed along. I might try one of these again but I just needed to clean house a bit.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Side View.jpg (96.7 KB, 9 views)
DSC_0206.jpg (101.1 KB, 7 views)
DSC_0201.jpg (99.2 KB, 8 views)
DSC_0241.jpg (99.4 KB, 8 views)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk