Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Joining group rides as a minor

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-23, 09:17 PM
07ale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

First off, my parents are cool with it.
I've been biking for a while. But cycling? As a sport? I'm about a month in. My rides are consistently averaging ~22kph. School is quickly coming to a close. I'm really enjoying exploring local routes and simply going places. I would love to enjoy the community too. I am certainly in no shape to race, but group rides seem like a good place to start. Potentially. I don't actually know any roadies anywhere close to my age. I don't really know where they are advertised, either. I would love some insight into these two things... Should I even bother looking, or would it simply be a bit too awkward being younger? Where would I even look?
Old 05-07-23, 09:31 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
I'd start by looking for a youth development program in your area, lots of places without but the NE has a good number of them and some might be nearby. As for joining a local club ride I can't say. Finding them will be easy, just google cycling clubs in the area you're in and once you've got names check the club's facebook/insta/webpage or whatever they have, they'll often list group rides. You may find that they have slips that they want signed off on by a parent but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't require a parent present at least for the first few rides while they determine if you're even safe to ride with.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-07-23, 09:47 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Good ideas above. Another thought is to contact your local road bike shop and ask them about clubs and youth development groups. They are tuned into everything cycling going on in the community. Best of luck, welcome to the fraternity and most of all have fun!

and forgot to say I have ridden in groups with ages ranging from 16 to 46. You will have a lot to learn about riding safely and predictably in groups. If they get snarky or yell, find a new group.

Last edited by rsbob; 05-07-23 at 09:50 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-07-23, 09:50 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Most group rides are on public roads (open to all) and most riders don't care about your age as long as you're safe. I was riding with the big guys by the time I was 14 (although I had started racing a year prior). Make sure it's not an exclusive club/group and feel free to introduce yourself at the start. It's best to hang out near the back until you learn how to ride safely and smoothly within a peloton, but chances are you'll be dropped in short order on your first ride (or few rides) anyway.

Russ Roth made a good suggestion to look for a youth program, and local bike shops are likely to be aware of the closest ones. I started out at the local velodrome and was invited to a club by riders there. It looks like this track is close to you, but I don't see any mention of a junior program.
https://nevelodrome.com/event-schedule/

There's also a junior racing subform here, but few people go there.
Old 05-07-23, 10:09 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Ask at some local bike shops, too, about group rides. IME long ago, teenagers were always welcome, provided that they were not squirrels!
Old 05-07-23, 11:00 PM
07ale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I'd start by looking for a youth development program in your area
Never thought of this. Somehow. I'll definitely look into this!
Originally Posted by rsbob
Good ideas above. Another thought is to contact your local road bike shop and ask them about clubs and youth development groups. They are tuned into everything cycling going on in the community.
I need to get a wheel trued on my old bike, so I'll be by the bike shop tomorrow if all goes well(Yet to figure out how to carry a 700c wheel on a rear rack, though). I've been by quite a few times in the past month now; most of them know me by now, so I'll certainly bring it up.

Sidenote: I haven't been on a forum since my other hobbies back last year. Not sure if I am even using the quotes tool correctly, or what proper etiquette is. Apologies if I mess up.

Last edited by 07ale; 05-07-23 at 11:03 PM.
Likes For 07ale:
Old 05-08-23, 07:42 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8283 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Our club has a rule about minors being with a parent but if a new rider is with an adult or even just invited at the ride start it has never been an issue.

One of our members used to mentor the juniors at the local velodrome and he would bring groups of them on our club rides and they were fine. Some of them were also quite strong. They respected the mentor and were always friendly and nobody ever had a problem with them on a ride.

A shop ride or less formal group ride could be good. Just tell them your level of experience and hang out near the back and watch. You should also learn to spot the squirrels so you can stay away from them.
Old 05-08-23, 07:46 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by 07ale
I need to get a wheel trued on my old bike, so I'll be by the bike shop tomorrow if all goes well(Yet to figure out how to carry a 700c wheel on a rear rack, though). I've been by quite a few times in the past month now; most of them know me by now, so I'll certainly bring it up.

Sidenote: I haven't been on a forum since my other hobbies back last year. Not sure if I am even using the quotes tool correctly, or what proper etiquette is. Apologies if I mess up.
Just use some cord or velcro straps to strap the wheel to the side of the rack, doesn't have to sit on top.
your forum etiquette is fine.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-08-23, 10:15 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I started that way. I grew up in a town too small for any development teams or anything terribly organized. There was a group that rode from the shop at a set time every week. I started showing up. Turns out, I knew some of the riders, parents of my friends and one teacher.

I was welcome as everyone was, it was quite the shock to my system to average 19-20mph. Put the solo riding I’d been doing into perspective. I got my butt kicked for a while. I learned to draft, to ride deliberately, and everyone was happy to share hints that would help me. I learned a lot and a couple years later when I did start racing, I was a bit better off for it.

Do it.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 05-08-23, 05:36 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Our club has a rule about minors being with a parent but if a new rider is with an adult or even just invited at the ride start it has never been an issue.
Yeah, I guess we should differentiate between a general group ride (like the Montrose Ride, the Simi Ride, or the Donut Ride) and a group ride specific to one club. The club ones should indeed be considered exclusive and one would want to inquire before attempting to join in. The general ones just want you to be safe, and will let you know pretty quickly (and harshly) if you're not welcome back. Edit: Shop ride too, which is usually open to anyone and lead by a shop employee.

Originally Posted by big john
One of our members used to mentor the juniors at the local velodrome...
Who was that? When I raced there, we were mentored by Ken Avchen, John Simon, John Cruze, and Ray (don't remember his last name).

Last edited by urbanknight; 05-08-23 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-08-23, 05:46 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8283 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight

Who was that? When I raced there, we were mentored by Ken Avchen, John Simon, John Cruze, and Ray (don't remember his last name).
Stephan. You probably know him, at least by sight, but he quit the club during the e-bike controversy. He would bring 5 or 6 of the juniors to club rides. One of them did crash him out one time. He rides with Serious now.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-08-23, 06:38 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Yet to figure out how to carry a 700c wheel on a rear rack,
Hold it in your hand and ride to the store 1 handed. It’s good practice and builds character.
Old 05-09-23, 02:06 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Never thought of this. Somehow. I'll definitely look into this!
In my area, many of the local high schools have MTB race teams that have been growing in numbers every year. You might want to look into schools in your area. If there are teams, reach out to the coaches and see if there are riders who also ride on the road. Maybe the coaches can point you in a direction of how to connect with those riders, or group rides that would be appropriate for you.
Old 05-11-23, 06:39 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Check for local clubs, and see if any offer rides for 'new riders'. You'll probably have to have your parents show up to the first ride, just to sign a release form and verify that they grant permission for you to ride. The ride leader will usually go over some basic skills (braking, turning, shifting) in a parking area, and then take you all out for a short ride on the roads with an experienced sweep rider who will observe your group riding skills (or lack thereof) and offer suggestions that will make you a safer rider, and welcomed on regular club rides.
Old 05-11-23, 07:07 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Google search for clubs in your area or ask a local shop. Many shop sponsor rides and have a designated mentor for new riders. After all, they want to keep you coming back! My local shop does a weekday evening ride with all levels--from A+ hammerheads to D, new to the sport, I promise to not leave you alone.

You didn't say, or I didn't catch how old you are. The key, I think, is to not over estimate your ability. Riding in a group is an attained skill, and experienced riders might not appreciate someone still learning. But, you'll get there, probably pretty soon.

FWIW, my brothers and I starting with a local group when we were 17,15 and 13 years old. A few "older guys" took care of us and showed us the ropes. That was in 1973. We just went to our leader's 90th birthday party!
Old 05-11-23, 12:34 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Used to have kids join our group rides all the time. Nobody checked or asked for age verification. But we were super casual - just posted rides on a community website. If it's a more formal club they may be more specific with regard to this.