Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do Old School Jerseys Still Exist?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do Old School Jerseys Still Exist?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-24, 07:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
I was visiting a bike shop in Solvang, California, and there was a little seperate room full of jerseys. I walked into the room, and starting looking around. I then heard some disembodied voice say "Those are European fit jerseys, you know."

I turned around, and then could see half of a face peeking around the corner of the door. Sheesh, thanks for nothing!
IKR. When I spent time at the Italian Cycling Center in 2013 our group stopped at a high end bike shop during a ride. It had some really nice kits. At the time, I was wearing a L or XL, depending on the make. I tried on a XXL jersey. As hard as I tried, I couldn’t make it work. Didn’t even bother trying the matching bibs.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-13-24, 08:17 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
My regular jerseys are from Primal and certainly aren't a tight fit.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 01-13-24, 09:46 AM
zweitesmal2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Perhaps you can browse the used jerseys on Ebay. I realize not everyone would consider used gear but there are many many vintage jerseys to choose from, from other eras, very often as new. As far as fit, the two measurements you should know, taken from your favorite fitting top, are across the chest pit to pit and back of collar to bottom. These are often included in photos and can be asked for if one interests you. I prefer the simple graphics from earlier times and have had good luck finding cool gear in excellent condition. Once you've had some time to browse you'll realize many folks spend an awful lot of money on gear and end up not pursuing cycling as a hobby.
Old 01-13-24, 10:05 AM
howaboutme

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
My regular jerseys are from Primal and certainly aren't a tight fit.
I placed an order for a bib/jersey combo last night. Their sizing is a bit different then black bibs so it's a bit of a gamble. But I have time.

Originally Posted by zweitesmal2
Perhaps you can browse the used jerseys on Ebay. I realize not everyone would consider used gear but there are many many vintage jerseys to choose from, from other eras, very often as new. As far as fit, the two measurements you should know, taken from your favorite fitting top, are across the chest pit to pit and back of collar to bottom. These are often included in photos and can be asked for if one interests you. I prefer the simple graphics from earlier times and have had good luck finding cool gear in excellent condition. Once you've had some time to browse you'll realize many folks spend an awful lot of money on gear and end up not pursuing cycling as a hobby.
I realize that when I put "old school" that some may think I'm talking vintage. I'm just using that term for how the jersey's fit back in the day....
Old 01-13-24, 10:24 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
That’s cool. Looks like they have added a full length zip and probably modern materials.
So not really that jersey. Just the same graphics.

Maybe I am just a retro grouch on this topic, but I own newer and older jerseys (and some of mine are really old, like from the 70s and 80s) and I much prefer some of the old stuff. I like the cut, the quarter zip, and even the materials on some of them. I can live with the full zip, but I really don't find it to be any advantage.
Old 01-13-24, 10:31 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by howaboutme
I realize that when I put "old school" that some may think I'm talking vintage. I'm just using that term for how the jersey's fit back in the day....
Actually eBay is a good place to buy modern jerseys, either new or lightly used.

I only buy name brand jerseys that show the actual pit-to-pit measurement when laying flat and unstretched. It is also pretty simple to see the cut of the jersey.

It is easy to measure a current poly shirt/t that fits well and get the measurements you want and then look for one that has similar measurements.

My one rule is not buying any event jerseys as I know someone who participated in the event will strike up a conversation on how insanely tough that ride was.

John
Old 01-13-24, 10:47 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by howaboutme
I placed an order for a bib/jersey combo last night. Their sizing is a bit different then black bibs so it's a bit of a gamble. But I have time.
I think you'll find the sizing on the Primal jersey to be more accommodating. A friend wears them, and they are definitely girthier.
Old 01-13-24, 12:12 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 447 Posts
I wear a size XL t-shirt. If I want a non-tight fit in a jersey, with Pearl Izumi that's a XXL, and in OCG (OnlineCyclingGear.com) that's a XXXL.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 01-14-24, 06:05 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Nice and loose cotton T's for me. Don't need to look like a fat old man reliving his youth, instead I simply look like a fat old man enjoying a bike ride.
Old 01-14-24, 06:25 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Just checked. Harvard, William & Mary and St. John's jerseys are still available.
Old 01-14-24, 09:36 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I like that one. My favourite long sleeve jersey is wool (Merino).
One site with a good number of these types of options
https://www.soigneur.co.nz/category/231416
Old 01-14-24, 07:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
“Old school” were traditionally wool. You may have to look far and wide but an internet search is always your best bet.