Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Legit idea or the ultimate blasphemy?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 01:03 PM
jerrymcdougal

Bikes: 86' Davidson Impulse, 83' Windsor Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So lets say someone has a old 144bcd Campy Record Strada Crank, and this person wants to run only one ring on the outside position. Would it be unsafe/blasphemous to have a skilled craftsman file/polish off the tabs on the inside of the spider arms where the inner ring would rest, for chainstay clearance? In other words, modify a Strada Record crank to look like the spider arms of a Record Pista crank. Said crank has already had the common/usual hairline stress cracks filed/polished out where the arm meets the spider.

What say you?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-08, 03:06 PM
tellyho
Your mom

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Definitely blasphemous. No idea as to the safety. And really, who's going to look on that side of your crankset anyway?
Old 08-08-08, 03:09 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Go for it. The crank is already compromised so no one with any sense would use it for any other purpose. This, after all, is just a crank, not a Rembrandt.
Old 08-08-08, 03:30 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I'd do it.
Old 08-08-08, 04:04 PM
jerrymcdougal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Go for it. The crank is already compromised so no one with any sense would use it for any other purpose. This, after all, is just a crank, not a Rembrandt.
Compromised? If you are refering to the cracks at the spider/arm junction, Ive been told by at least a few veteran collectors that nearly every record crank they have used has developed those in no time and that they are nothing to worry about as long as you file/polish the ransitions round or flat. They are very very small. Maybe 1-2mm long.

Oh, the reason I am contemplating doing this for the guy is for usability issues not aesthetics (the tabs interfere with the chainstay on this particular frame when running a 42mm chainline). If it were a question of aesthetics I wouldnt even contemplate it.

Thanks Guys
Old 08-08-08, 04:48 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Personally, I think a crank looks way better with that little ledge ground off when used in single-chainring configuration.
Old 08-08-08, 04:57 PM
sfclearwater

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If clearance is that tight and you know you aren't going to want to use it with two chainrings again, then why wouldn't you do it?

Would be pretty easy too. I have cut/modified several cranks (like the one attached) and found a bench grinder takes care of the job quickly. An abrasive wheel leaves what is actually a pretty nice finish, but if you wanted it to be nicer you could sand the area down with increasing grit wet/dry paper; by the time you get to 1500 it should be shining.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
crank (Medium).jpg (94.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 08-08-08, 05:05 PM
melville

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Heck, that's what Campy themselves did when they made BMX cranks in the 80s. Go all the way and counterbore the bolt holes from the back so you can run proper track chainring bolts/nuts.
Old 08-08-08, 06:01 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by melville
Heck, that's what Campy themselves did when they made BMX cranks in the 80s. Go all the way and counterbore the bolt holes from the back so you can run proper track chainring bolts/nuts.

If you don't counterbore the holes then the chainring bolts may still rub.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 08-08-08, 08:55 PM
jerrymcdougal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Personally, I think a crank looks way better with that little ledge ground off when used in single-chainring configuration.
Honestly so do I. But I probably wouldnt grind them if I didnt need to. probably.

Originally Posted by sfclearwater
If clearance is that tight and you know you aren't going to want to use it with two chainrings again, then why wouldn't you do it?

Would be pretty easy too. I have cut/modified several cranks (like the one attached) and found a bench grinder takes care of the job quickly. An abrasive wheel leaves what is actually a pretty nice finish, but if you wanted it to be nicer you could sand the area down with increasing grit wet/dry paper; by the time you get to 1500 it should be shining.
I bet the bench grinder works well. Being a amateur framebuilder and alloy polsher, I prefer good ol files, emery cloth and then dry/wet sandpaper (800-2000 grit). If it were a beefy 80's japanese crank I wouldn't think twice about the tab mod, but Record is generally made as light as possible with the least amount of material possible. Kind of like tubesets. I wouldn't be scared to do some light filing on a gaspipe tubeset, but I wouldn't bring a file anywhere near crazy thin tubesets like OX Platinum. A nick can mean failure. I know Pista cranks are tabless stock, but never having first hand experience with a pista version, I don't well enough know if the spider arms are built the same as the strada version to be a good comparison.

Originally Posted by Bob Barker
If you don't counterbore the holes then the chainring bolts may still rub.
Great idea, I'll have to pull out the drill press.
Old 08-08-08, 08:59 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by melville
Nope. Campy BMX cranks were from the late '70's. I have a set that I ended up taking the anodizing off, polishing and using them (with two chainrings) on this bike:
https://home.comcast.net/~jeff_wills/...s/photo_3.html
Blasphemous? Heck, you're nowhere near me!

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-08-08, 09:05 PM
jerrymcdougal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Nope. Campy BMX cranks were from the late '70's. I have a set that I ended up taking the anodizing off, polishing and using them (with two chainrings) on this bike:
https://home.comcast.net/~jeff_wills/...s/photo_3.html
Blasphemous? Heck, you're nowhere near me!
Nice, well that's good enough for me. Off with them!

Thanks!
Old 08-08-08, 11:28 PM
goldcoastjon

Bikes: 52 x 54 cm Eisentraut steel road bike, 51 x 55 cm Windsor Pro (Eroica bike) , 1972 53 x 57 cm Peugeot UO-18 mixte town bike/"truck." UNBUILT FRAMES: 1974 52.5 x 57 cm Jack Taylor Tour of Britain, 1964 52 x 54 Super Mondia, 1979/80 Raleigh Record Ace

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blasphemy: an alternative

I'd say it's blasphemy, simply because you might change your mind later and want two chain rings up front. (Maybe when you're old like me and your knees aren't as strong as they were "back in the day.)

Here's another option:

Install your single front chainring in the INSIDE position, then get a Campi cyclocross chain guard for the outer position. You've kept a classy-looking Campi crank intact and kept your pants less greasy, all in one. (I did this on my Peugeot UO-18 mixte around-town bike, which once belonged to my mother. It's a terrific urban cruiser in flat Alameda with just 6 cogs in the back.)

Best,

Jon
Old 08-09-08, 09:16 AM
jerrymcdougal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goldcoastjon
I'd say it's blasphemy, simply because you might change your mind later and want two chain rings up front. (Maybe when you're old like me and your knees aren't as strong as they were "back in the day.)

Here's another option:

Install your single front chainring in the INSIDE position, then get a Campi cyclocross chain guard for the outer position. You've kept a classy-looking Campi crank intact and kept your pants less greasy, all in one. (I did this on my Peugeot UO-18 mixte around-town bike, which once belonged to my mother. It's a terrific urban cruiser in flat Alameda with just 6 cogs in the back.)

Best,

Jon
Not a bad idea, but I would imagine even if we did need to go back to two rings, it would work just fine, with a little more work getting the inner ring centered properly. Sound feasible?

I would take your advice about the chain guard, and I actually have a identical crank with dual cx guards (one on each side of the ring. its kinda chewed up though) but we want to go minimalistic on this build. Putting the ring on the inside just wouldn't look as clean sadly. That would make things much easier though.

Thanks Jon
Old 08-09-08, 02:03 PM
DannoXYZ 

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, it would be fine to use with double-chainrings later. The centering won't be an issue if you have tight clearances between the chainring-hole and chainring-bolts. There's the issue of loading the bolts in shear since there no ledge to take the radial-loads from the chainring. But if the bolts are tight, the friction will hold the chainring tight and transmit all the load to the arms without stressing the bolts in shear (actually the nut since it's on the outside).