Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10 or 11 Speed Chain on an Older 40T Chainring?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-17, 09:42 PM
born2pdl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

This is the chainring I'm looking at using as the small chainring on a 20inch wheel folding bike.

It was to be used for a tandem timing chainring and I think those run 8speed chains. Will a 10 or 11 speed chain work ok on it? Thanks.
Old 07-31-17, 12:28 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I've been mixing and matching chainrings a bit, and haven't come up with a definitive answer as to what will or won't work, or why. As I understand it, the 10s chains have the same inner plate width as 8s or 9s chains, although I'm seeing some slightly varying reports on the web. 11s chains may have a slightly narrower inner plate width.

I'm running 9s on one bike with Nuovo Record era chainrings, and 11s on two bikes. One has had mixed 10s or 11s parts. The other is using generic, unspecified rings.

So far, the biggest risk seems to be slightly rougher shifting. Perhaps chain skating, or chain suck. This may also be related to using a matched set of rings with specific shift gate positions vs a mismatched set.

11s cassettes are wider, and perhaps there is better tolerance for cross-chaining and chain retention for 11s rings, perhaps affecting the large ring more than the small ring, but with the small ring, there is, of course, risk of rubbing on the big ring when cross-chaining.

I suppose on a single bike, one can feel if shifting is not going smoothly, and let up briefly. On a tandem, it may carry increased risk of rough shifting leading to problems, depending on your communication.

Anyway, for $8 ($15), it may be worth experimenting with to see how you like it.
Old 07-31-17, 07:37 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
What crank are you using? FWIW, I've had problems running modern narrow chain on some vintage cranks, e.g. TA and Stronglight, where the chain can jam between the rings. Wider chain doesn't have this issue.
Old 07-31-17, 08:47 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
The chain should mesh with that ring just fine. While the outside width of chains has gotten narrower and narrower as we've added more cogs to the cluster, the inside width between the plates has remained 3/32" on chains designed for derailleur drivetrains.

So on a 1x drivetrain with a single ring, no problems. With a double or triple crankset, though, the spacing between rings is a factor you may need to keep in the back of your mind. I remember reading somewhere (but haven't confirmed) that the spider thickness may be the same, at least from 7-speed or so on up, but the teeth on newer rings may be offset slightly inboard or outboard to account for newer chains' narrower external width.
Old 07-31-17, 12:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Older, is relative , FSA as a company, has not been around that long, so it not that old.

NOS means it is un used but out of the packaging.. that would be NIB.
Old 07-31-17, 10:06 PM
born2pdl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Good point on the "older".

That's the big chainring. The rings will go on an FSA SLK mega-exo crankset. I know the 40/56 jump is big but I'm trying to match the gear inches of my regular road bike. Now can you help me with the chainring bolts? There are a variety of bolt lengths out there. I'm looking at aluminum, maybe Ti, silver color. Looks like 8.5mm length might be for doubles. What do you suggest? Thanks again.