Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Derailleur limit screws should just be Left and Right

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-23, 06:32 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

For something so simple, I've had to Google it every time I adjust a derailleur. Is L the low gear? What does low mean here? Low as in low tooth count or low as in lower effort? Is H high gear? High tooth count?

And generally is the L screw on the left or the right? Which screw am I turning? Sometimes the light isn't great so I have to turn the light on my phone and peer in really close at the indentations which are the same black color as the rest of the derailleur.

Crikes.
Old 07-05-23, 06:48 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
I can't remember either. I just figure it out by moving the shifter lever (I don't have brifters) and see what moves, then adjust the proper screw to put the RD over the proper gear on the cassette. Not something to worry about.
Old 07-05-23, 07:15 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
L= low gear. The gear you use to start the bike. The easiest gear. Biggest gear in back, smallest in front.

H=high gear. The gear you use to make the bike go as fast as possible. The hardest gear. Smallest gear in back, largest in front.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-05-23, 07:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
L is the cog/ring closest to the frame
H is the cog/ring furthest from the frame

Works on both derailleurs.

Sorry I don't have a mnemonic device for it.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 07-05-23, 07:45 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Left and Right would make a lot more sense to me as well.

On cars, using "low and high" to describe gears makes more sense, because they're numbered from low to high. The smaller the number the lower the gear. No one knows or cares how many teeth the cogs have, and no one can see the physical size of the gears.

There's no such numbering on a bike - and in fact people usually refer to gearing by the number of cogs so an 11t gear is a lower number and physically smaller than a 12t gear, but the 11t is the "bigger" or "taller" gear. People use the phrase "pushing a big gear" all the time to mean using the smallest physical size of gear on the cassette. It breaks my brain...
Old 07-05-23, 08:10 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
"Low" is left

"High" is right

Again applies for both front and rear detailleurs

but a close look at the mechanism should tell you

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 07-05-23, 08:23 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
and when you adjust the screws, righty tighty, lefty loosey
Old 07-05-23, 08:42 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
So then derailleurs should be right normal for the rear and the front should be left normal? If you're gonna visit, learn the language and customs.
Old 07-05-23, 08:50 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
“L” is for LOUD, the noise made by the chain hitting the spokes
”H” is for the HARM the chain will do to your frame

Barry
Old 07-05-23, 09:59 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
L = Lazy
H = Hurting
Old 07-05-23, 10:15 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
For something so simple, I've had to Google it every time I adjust a derailleur. Is L the low gear? What does low mean here? Low as in low tooth count or low as in lower effort? Is H high gear? High tooth count?

And generally is the L screw on the left or the right? Which screw am I turning? Sometimes the light isn't great so I have to turn the light on my phone and peer in really close at the indentations which are the same black color as the rest of the derailleur.

Crikes.
As others have said, L is low and H is high. Saying “left” or “right” would make no sense as only some of the lower end derailers have screws positioned on the low part of the derailer body. More often, the limit screws are on the back of the derailer and are aligned vertically.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-06-23, 07:15 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I'd be happy if I could just find the "L" and "H" on half my derailers.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-06-23, 07:29 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Left and Right would make a lot more sense to me as well.
Then, remember L as left and H as the other thing (not left).

Riders shouldn't have an issue with L being low (the largest sprocket).
Old 07-06-23, 07:32 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'd be happy if I could just find the "L" and "H" on half my derailers.
Well, there is that too. And Shimano can be a bit loosey goosey about which screw on the front derailer is low and which is high. They switch them often on different models.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-06-23, 07:37 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Had to go out in the garage to see if my derailleurs were marked L or H. If they are, I couldn't see it. Are all derailleurs marked?
Old 07-06-23, 07:41 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
no. not on my old Sora, only the RD was labeled, FD not. upgraded to Tiagra and same deal. on my new ride with ultegra Di2 they aren't labeled either.
Old 07-06-23, 07:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Limit screws should only need to be adjusted at time of installation. If you are adjusting them after the install, and there hasn't been any physical damage to the bike and drivetrain, then you are doing something wrong. They aren't for adjusting indexing issues or other common problems with gear shifting.
Old 07-06-23, 07:51 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai

Crikes.
If you don't know which is L or H, it doesn't matter if you peek inside the derailleur (both FD and RD), you can see the screws how they hit a stop for any of the outermost cogs, meaning, leftmost cog on the non-drive side, rightmost cog on the drive side.

Lighting problems are easily solved. Get a brighter lamp. Work outdoors in the daytime.
Old 07-06-23, 09:33 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
More often, the limit screws are on the back of the derailer and are aligned vertically.
Absolutely. "Left" and "Right" would have no meaning on my DA 7700 RD, where the screws are vertical.

Surprised this is an issue with so many people.
Old 07-06-23, 09:36 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
no. not on my old Sora, only the RD was labeled, FD not. upgraded to Tiagra and same deal. on my new ride with ultegra Di2 they aren't labeled either.
Same with my olde Sora FD. Luckily it's really easy to see the stop on those, with a quick glance I can see that the outside screw works on the outside chainring.
Old 07-06-23, 09:44 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
If you don't which is which (it's not that difficult) then maybe you are candidate for bringing your bike to the bike shop to be worked on.
Likes For prj71:
Old 07-06-23, 10:18 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Limit screws should only need to be adjusted at time of installation. If you are adjusting them after the install, and there hasn't been any physical damage to the bike and drivetrain, then you are doing something wrong. They aren't for adjusting indexing issues or other common problems with gear shifting.
Or changes in chains. Old story - 1977. I trained on the reliable Sedisport chains but had started racing with the quicker shifting Uniglides. Took me one costly race where i dropped the chain twice before I learned that the limit screws needed to be snugged up 'till the chain rubbed slightly in low and high to guaranty not dropping the chain on a shift.

Granted that was long before indexing, shaped teeth, etc. Still, the blanket statement that limit screws should never be touched after installation - well maybe for modern index systems but with friction shifted systems, both limit screws affect how quickly and easily you can get to the extreme cogs. Especially before ramped teeth. Low gear may be taking the RD cage quite close to the spokes. I've had more than a few bikes where I've juggled the ease of shifting with the sound of the idler pulley nut brushing the spokes. (Yes, I've mixed and matched Italian hubs and Japanese FWs where the low cog can get quite close to the hub. And yes, the hangers were straight.)
Old 07-06-23, 10:19 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
"Left" and "right"/ Wait left and right on the bike? From the front or the back? On my 105 the screws are vertical .... so which way do I lay the bike down?

I have seen that in the back "L" is almost always closest to the derailleur body and "H" farther away in the back. I sometimes forget ... so I pop off the headlight and check before I do harm. But .... "L" is always closer the hub, even if vertical .... and "H" is always farther ... which is sort of the way the derailleur swings. Still ... I check periodically. No desire to put the derailleur into the spokes.

Up front I have never seen "H" not be on the outside, which is the way the derailleur swings.

Also ... if you are making small adjustments, you should be able to actually See the effect of your adjustment before you break something. If you are turning one screw and the derailleur's range of motion isn't limited, turn the other screw.

Sorry, but your "left" and "right" seems a lot less universal than ""L" for Low gear (and we all know what low gear is, if we actually ride bikes) and "H" for High gear.
Old 07-06-23, 04:41 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I can’t remember the last time I looked at the letters. Just eyeball whether the screw is physically touching the stop or is pretty close. The rest can be sorted out from there.
Old 07-06-23, 04:47 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by rosefarts
I can’t remember the last time I looked at the letters. Just eyeball whether the screw is physically touching the stop or is pretty close. The rest can be sorted out from there.
That’s possible on some derailers, especially old ones or cheaper new ones but many derailers don’t really let you see the stops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.