Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lejog

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23, 02:33 PM
a.gvt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lejog

Hey everyone,

I'm interested in finding out what level of fitness is required to successfully complete the LEJOG route .It's something I'm seriously considering, but I want to understand the physical demands involved in cycling this incredible distance.
I would greatly appreciate your insights. What kind of fitness level and endurance are necessary to endure the long days of cycling? Any tips on the best training regimens or exercises to prepare for this challenging journey would be highly valuable.

On a related note, I'm an avid runner and am committed to regular training, but I don't cycle regularly. Would this lack of consistent cycling experience pose a significant obstacle during the LEJOG? I'd love to hear from those who have tackled this challenge and how they managed any potential hurdles related to cycling.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-19-23, 03:51 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by a.gvt
Any tips on the best training regimens or exercises to prepare for this challenging journey would be highly valuable.
You need to do LOTS of riding. As a runner also, I will say yeah…the running has given you a degree of fitness. But if your a$$ hasn’t be on that saddle, building the essential muscle calluses in your butt…you’re not ready to try this. Look at from a running point of view. Someone says “I’m a really strong, capable swimmer. I have a great cardio system. So I think I’m going to run a marathon.” As a runner…would you suggest they head right to the starting line for this coming weekend’s marathon? Or, should they spend months developing their legs to make actually completing a marathon, without injuring themselves, possible?

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 07-19-23, 05:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,645 Times in 2,923 Posts
You might have good cardio as a runner, but don’t state the distances you usually run. Even though running and cycling are legs sports, different muscle groups are activated. I found that long distance cycling at high intensity actually helped my running but not vice versa. To do a ride as demanding as LEJOG you will need to start building up mileage gradually with lots of hill climbing. When you can get to the point where you can bang out 60-80 mile rides with 4000’ of climbing day after day, you might just be ready. You also didn’t state your age, and the younger you are, the easier it will be to get up to speed. Best of luck

Old 07-19-23, 05:35 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
It's 840+miles; most folks/routes cover maybe 950. How many days do you want to take?

The record for cycling is 41 hours, 4 minutes and 22 seconds.

Here's Laurence Brophy, who as far as I know is the oldest to cycle the distance at 88 y.o.

Gina Harris, at 82, is thought to be the oldest woman to cycle LEJoG.

George Pilkington Mills' record of 5 days, 1 3/4 hours on a penny-farthing stood for 133 years until it was broken by Richard Thoday in 2019.

Just about one year ago James Stannard rode it in ~83 hours on a Brompton folding bike with 16" wheels.

Last edited by tcs; 07-20-23 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-20-23, 02:13 AM
a.gvt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rsbob
You might have good cardio as a runner, but don’t state the distances you usually run. Even though running and cycling are legs sports, different muscle groups are activated. I found that long distance cycling at high intensity actually helped my running but not vice versa. To do a ride as demanding as LEJOG you will need to start building up mileage gradually with lots of hill climbing. When you can get to the point where you can bang out 60-80 mile rides with 4000’ of climbing day after day, you might just be ready. You also didn’t state your age, and the younger you are, the easier it will be to get up to speed. Best of luck

my age is 23, and i plan to ride it in 14-16 days
Likes For a.gvt:
Old 07-20-23, 05:32 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
That equates to around 50-60 miles a day which, at your age, shouldn't be a stretch. I think the others are right, though, that you need to put some miles in on the bike.

For those who might not know, LEJOG is Land's End to John O'Groats, the most southerly and most northerly points of mainland UK. A lot of people who do then feel they may as well do 1,000 miles and so turn around and head south again, so you may want to think about that as well.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 07-20-23, 07:55 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by a.gvt
My age is 23, and I plan to ride it in 14-16 days
You'll be fine. Recommendations to get some saddle time in beforehand are wise, but manys the healthy, fit 23 y.o. that headed out on a tour with no particular preparation.

Nearly everybody rides south to north, taking advantage of prevailing winds. It will rain. The toughest days (hills) are in Cornwall and Devon - the first days of the ride if you're going S -> N.

There's no 'official' route. The Sustrans guide is mostly good (suggestions on local brews and eats - wonderful!) and the Cicerone is popular. "End to End Cycle Route - A Safer Way" looks spectacularly bad. Folks have mapped routes to minimize or maximize climbing. Sections of the National Byway can be included, and some routes touch the Hebredes and passage the Great Glen.

Trains serve Penzance (of Pirates fame), just a few miles from Lands End. Trains serve Thurso and Wick to get back - make a cycle reservation on the train. My suggestion is to take the ferry to Orkney and ride on to Kirkwall, flying back on LoganAir.

Cycle UK's forum on LEJoG:
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewforu...f1edf61b77c56b

Last edited by tcs; 07-20-23 at 08:04 AM.
Likes For tcs: