Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Varied terrain racing

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Varied terrain racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-23, 07:59 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
You like motorsports? What if we had race where F1 cars, midget cars, top fuel or funny car dragsters, trophy trucks, and rock crawlers all competed on a course that was partly paved and partly sand or mud? And no refueling, so you can only use the fuel that you have at the start.
F1 car ends up useless, the dragsters take the lead initially but crash in a fireball of glory at the first turn. The midgets abandon the race before getting run over by the rock truck and the trophy trucks probably flipped half a mile back. Rock truck wins.
Old 08-30-23, 09:11 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
F1 car ends up useless, the dragsters take the lead initially but crash in a fireball of glory at the first turn. The midgets abandon the race before getting run over by the rock truck and the trophy trucks probably flipped half a mile back. Rock truck wins.
Yep! Rock crawler FTW, rolling across the line at about 20 MPH after everyone else drops off... if he doesn't run out of gas. Not a very interesting race.
Old 08-30-23, 10:16 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,301 Times in 2,948 Posts
$10 says the OP owns an ebike, and this odd race proposal has something to do with getting ribbed by regular bike riders about his ebike on group rides.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-30-23, 10:27 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
I'm at a loss for words to describe how uncomfortable that aero gravel bike looks
Dylan manages to spend a lot of time on it going pretty fast. It works for him. Personally, I prefer my gravel bike set up with a fairly aggressive position, too, but not as aggressive as Dylan.
Old 08-30-23, 11:23 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
$10 says the OP owns an ebike, and this odd race proposal has something to do with getting ribbed by regular bike riders about his ebike on group rides.
LOL. I don't understand how I can ride away from e-bikes, I keep coming up along side and yelling "use up them Duracells darn it"
Old 08-30-23, 11:26 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,301 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
LOL. I don't understand how I can ride away from e-bikes, I keep coming up along side and yelling "use up them Duracells darn it"
You attack on slight downhills where their speed limiter kicks in ...
Old 08-30-23, 12:45 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I kinda get where the OP is coming from...

Rally racing with different groups of bikes on the same circuit.

Build a race with defined distances some cobble, some gravel, some single track, some road, and some grass have winners from each group and and overall winner.
Old 08-30-23, 01:06 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Including e-bikes?
Old 08-30-23, 01:08 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Including e-bikes?
Why not?
Old 08-30-23, 01:12 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Why not?
Because it's pointless. Same reason we don't race bicycles against runners, cars against bicycles, or jets against cars.
Old 08-30-23, 01:32 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I kinda get where the OP is coming from...

Build a race with defined distances some cobble, some gravel, some single track, some road, and some grass have winners from each group and and overall winner.
Including e-bikes?
This already exists. The Belgian Waffle Ride - which they call an "unroad" event, but most people consider "gravel" - includes a separate e-bike category. However, I think it's only for the shorter distance events, not the full Waffle, which tends to be 120+ miles. There my be other events that include an e-bike category, as well.
Old 08-30-23, 01:48 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Because it's pointless. Same reason we don't race bicycles against runners, cars against bicycles, or jets against cars.
It's pointless to you
Old 08-30-23, 02:02 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

It's pointless to you
That would be the point of racing against e-bikes and comparing head-to-head results? In most motorsports, there are categories with limitations to keep the playing field relatively level (theoretically).
Old 08-30-23, 06:30 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
As I keep saying ... the desing of the course would detemine the winner. So once the course is built, the race proves nothing.

How would it even be a "race"? How can one determine which is faster if certain vehicles are being misused?

Fin9sh the race with a steep 12-mile climb and only th road bikes would finsih. The DH bikes ... too heavy. The XC bikes .... too slow. The e-bikes ... out of battery and parked. The gravel bikes would all be second.

I tis like a GC stage versus a sprint stage in a Grand Tour. The sprinters gain maybe a second on the field in a sprint stage, and lose maybe 45 minutes on a climbing stage ... and that is on identical bikes. Ecet in this case the difference would be hours, niot minutes, and half the field would retire.

Or ... make a long lfat coursde wheere the e-bike rider could conserve battery and blast ahead at the finish ... what does this prove?

All the road bikes woud fail utterly on the XC and DH sections. If the e-bike was an e-MTB, it might do alright ... but would run out of battery later and be even heavier than a e-road bike. What does this prove?

As I said .... If people want to see this, it should be easy to set up. Do it or admit you don't care. If people just want to argue about it ... you are done. sorry.
Old 08-31-23, 03:19 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Originally Posted by Eric F
That would be the point of racing against e-bikes and comparing head-to-head results? In most motorsports, there are categories with limitations to keep the playing field relatively level (theoretically).
That's why a specified groups, pedelecs aren't as fast as people make out.
Old 08-31-23, 06:31 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
But it's just a regular bike, only with ....
Old 08-31-23, 12:45 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

I was thinking the OP is on a regular bike and getting tired of being passed by overweight seniors on e-bikes. "I'd like to see how fast she can go an hour from now when her battery runs out."
Old 08-31-23, 01:14 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
OP does own an ebike which I use sometimes when I'm feeling lazy. But for pure feel I vastly prefer a good road bike. But it's interesting to me to think about the tradeoffs of the ebike versus the road bike and how they compare.

I"m also the guy who started the "it's okay to walk up steep hills" thread. It's also a lot easier to walk up steep hills when you're pushing a lightweight carbon road bike versus walking up a hill with an ebike. Some hills are too steep even for the ebike as well, and there are also stairs that I have to climb while holding a bike and the road bike wins there too.
Old 08-31-23, 01:18 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Significant diversity in bikes within the same race is not realistic. Even on a course with a wide variety of terrain, the top competitors quickly figure out what the best type of machine is for that particular mix, and you end up with all of the top competitors on very similar bikes.
Perhaps the way around that is to keep the exact course route a mystery to the riders until they actually go on the race.

Hell, it is possible IMO to design a race course where skateboards would win versus bicycles. Give it enough stairs.
Old 08-31-23, 01:29 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
I think I saw christiano Ronaldo vs a veyron vs a jet once.
Old 08-31-23, 01:38 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by adlai
Perhaps the way around that is to keep the exact course route a mystery to the riders until they actually go on the race.
I doubt you would get as much diversity as you imagine.

Hell, it is possible IMO to design a race course where skateboards would win versus bicycles. Give it enough stairs.
Have you never ridden - or seen someone ride - a bicycle down stairs?
Old 08-31-23, 02:08 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
There are bicycles and then there are motorcycles. Gas or electric its is still a motor. The window for putting pedals on a motorcycle and calling it a bicycle is closing rapidly. And its getting closed not by those geezers needing pedal assist to enjoy riding again. Its getting closed by those guys burning down the bike path at 40 MPH. Or tearing up our easy single track.

Sure there is a need for e-bike competition. It will only make a better e-bike for sure. Racing them under different conditions will foster innovation and development. We can make a National Association to promote the races. Something like National Association for Stock Ebike Racing. Yep...

I am sure Daytona Beach would not mind. But then again Red Bull will certainly beat them to it...
Old 08-31-23, 02:19 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by adlai
OP does own an ebike which I use sometimes when I'm feeling lazy. But for pure feel I vastly prefer a good road bike. But it's interesting to me to think about the tradeoffs of the ebike versus the road bike and how they compare.

I"m also the guy who started the "it's okay to walk up steep hills" thread. It's also a lot easier to walk up steep hills when you're pushing a lightweight carbon road bike versus walking up a hill with an ebike. Some hills are too steep even for the ebike as well, and there are also stairs that I have to climb while holding a bike and the road bike wins there too.
All valid points when we talk about what kind of bike to ride for transportation, recreation, fitness, etc. This does not make the idea of racing e-bikes against other bikes any less silly. Remember: bike riding and bike racing are different activities.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-31-23, 04:22 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
I think I saw christiano Ronaldo vs a veyron vs a jet once.
On varied terrain? If it starts on a runway and goes longer than a half mile or so, the jet wins every time. If it goes up a steep, rocky hill, that soccer guy would win, easily. (So would my 78 year old mother.) On a road, the Bugatti wins a race of almost any distance.
Old 09-01-23, 04:39 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I think we need a sport where the football players and cheerleaders all compete. The football players would need to do cheers between plays ... and the cheerleaders would then line up and run plays against the players.... should be entertaining once the cheering ended .... of course the game would only last one play.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.