Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycling class in high school

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycling class in high school

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-23, 07:53 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I know a guy who had a job as a bike mechanic for a long time. He built up my custom road frame.

He now owns his own shop, which is very popular. Don’t believe everything you read on the Internet, especially from certain people.

https://www.twistedcog.com
I know a guy who survived a 100 foot fall off a bridge...
Old 10-26-23, 08:04 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
I was thinking today that middle and high schools should teach bicycle mechanics. Especially for a lot of young people, a bicycle would be a great way to transport without having to worry about insurance, gas, and the rest.
I also mean as like general usage for bicycles. Not necessarily a career at all, more for general transportation. A lot of people simply don't know the intricacies of cycling, don't know any maintenance. As a result, they drive everywhere. It's a very useful life skill to have.
I Strongly disagree with this premise.

For a lto of kids, bikes are lousy transport. Anyone who lives where winter is an actual season, knows this. Bicycling is weather-dependent, and also, time- and distance dependent, and also load-dependent.

I speak as a person who was a car-free commuter for decades, who used a bicycle as basic transport from about age six , who as done sport, pleasure, and utility riding. Bikes are a severe hardship.

if it is very hot, you need half an hour to cool off after a ride, and will need to wash and change clothes ... great if you have scheduled a bunch of job interviews. If it is pouring rain, you are soaked.

If the destination is 20 miles away, it is a 90-minute ride ... and 90 minutes back, which means a huge chunk of your day is spent riding----which s great, because I love riding, but which sucks if I want to actually do some stuff that day. Cars average three times as fast around town, at least, and five times as fast on interstates. if you need to go a long distance ... or if you just need to make half-a-dozen short trips, running errands that day ,... instead of knocking out your errands between ten a three, you start at nine am and finish after dark.

If you live in rural areas where towns are many miles apart, and houses also, bikes are worthless because it takes an hour to get anywhere. Bikes are fine in suburbia ... so long as you don't need to go to the city, which not only takes too long ... it is a great place to donate your bike to a thief.

If you need to haul some gear to where you are going .... good luck,.. Imagine being a football or hockey player, trying to pack lunch, clothes, books, and all your sports gear and having to ride around town with it---in cold weather, pouring rain, or snow, with roads covered with packed snow and glare ice, and road width cut by a third by snow piles on the edges.

Try getting construction equipment ... a fifty-pound bag of concrete or a couple bags of mulch, some tools including a long-handled spade and a gravel rake, a couple gallons of paint .... good luck.

Try carrying some 8-foot two-by-fours .... or a twelve-foot 2x12. Try carrying an eight-foot section of four-inch PVC pipe.

These are things I have done, so I know what I am talking about.

Also, for high-schoolers .... try getting a date.

And to add to all that ... if you live in an area with a lot of hills .......

Bike use is not more widespread because every aspect of bike transport is hard work, in every sense of the word.

Bikes can be great transport ... but the reason they are not more popular isn't that people don't know how to maintain them. People don't know how to maintain cars, and cars are exceedingly popular, to the point they are considered almost essential.

I have nothing against the idea of a high-school class on bike riding, bike-building, bike maintenance ... but I question two important aspects ... demand and utility. I don't think many kids Want such a class (else they would be asking) and I don't think it would help many kids.

What I hear is kids complaining they were never taught to manage money, make budgets, understand interest rates on credit cards ... the transport-related complaint I hear is no one taught them to change a tire. I have never heard a kid complain because the school didn't offer a course on bicycles.

There was a guy on this site, Jim from Boston, who was a year-round commuter ... studded tires, a hundred layers of arctic gear, he would ride every day year-round. His co-workers didn't say, "Wow, I never knew bikes could be so useful and versatile!"

His co-workers would say, "You rode to work in This weather?"

The best advertisement for cycling should be people enjoying cycling. However, non-cyclists interpret cycling as unpleasant work at best, and pure insanity most of the time.

Last edited by Maelochs; 10-26-23 at 08:10 AM.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-26-23, 08:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
I know a guy who survived a 100 foot fall off a bridge...
My point exactly.

I knew a guy who was partially eaten by a grizzly, which then cached his body.
Old 10-26-23, 08:35 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Maelochs
His co-workers would say, "You rode to work in This weather?"
I used to get that when I commuted year-round, even in the cold.

Didn't bother me one bit. Indeed, it confirmed what I already knew: That I was a badass.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-26-23, 08:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
I strongly disagree with the premise that HS classes should lead to a career. The kids should be learning to manage their minds and bodies. History, science, civics, math, sports and arts. Corporate America will get ahold them soon enough.
Perhaps HS classes shouldnt be entirely set up to lead kids to careers, but there is hardly any harm in encouraging kids to learn skills and trades that expose them to possible careers later on.

My school district has multiple HVAC classes, multiple architecture and engineering classes, plumbing classes, aviation classes where you can gain certain licensing, an auto maintenance garage with 14 lifts, a Marine Biology lab, auto body repair shop, woodworking classes, and a lot more.
Even if kids dont pursue a building and maintenance trade like plumbing or electrician, that doesnt mean those classes shouldnt exist. They give kids experience handling real life issues and absolutely manage their minds(your stated initiative) thru learning skills, problem solving, and traditional learning subjects- math, chemistry, etc.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-26-23, 09:09 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by chaadster
It might be nice— and a source of an easy A— to teach kids basic bicycle maintenance in the schools, but it’s scarcely important or significant. It only takes about 2 days to learn all one needs to know gor that, so not much impediment to picking that up anytime, say off YouTube videos.

What would be great would be a section on how to ride roads, so that people aren’t going around like idiots. I’m sure it could prevent deaths and go a way towards converting some to commuting or to making short trips by bike rather than car, so I’d argue such a class is more important and significant than bike mechanics/maintenance.
1- no school focuses on one topic for an entire day. So if it takes 2 school days to learn, then thats 14 school day periods for the curriculum. As stated earlier, that is a section within a subject. This is an incredibly common way to teach in MS and HS- 2-4 weeks spent on a specific topic then move to the next topic within that subject/class.
2- bicycle maintenance teaches basic maintenance that is applicable to life- maintaining basic items around the house, for example. It also teaches simple machine use since bicycles are made up of simple machines- levers, wheel and axles, and pullys. Further, bicycles are an excellent way to teach physics since it is visible and most kids ride or have ridden one. Force, drag, speed, etc etc and all that can be tied into the maintenance curriculum in an age appropriate manner.
Old 10-26-23, 10:24 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I took a course in Cross Country Skiing when I was in high school. It didn't set me up for the Olympics, but I've had a great time using my skills in Search and Rescue after leaving the service and it instilled a lifelong love of the outdoors. Too many kids today are out of shape and spend all their time playing video games. If a bike course in school instills a desire to ride, it's all good!
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 10-26-23, 10:27 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
i am in the wrong line of work.
Same here.
Old 10-26-23, 11:14 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Perhaps HS classes shouldnt be entirely set up to lead kids to careers, but there is hardly any harm in encouraging kids to learn skills and trades that expose them to possible careers later on.
This is America, pal. It's always about money.

I took an anatomy and physiology class in high school, that included the dissection of my very own cat. I became neither a a doctor nor a veterinarian, but I thoroughly enjoyed learning what I did. Not only that, when it came time for my heart surgeries, I could easily understand what the doctors were saying and had enough education to ask questions.

But the craziest "Why am I even learning about this?" experience had its roots in junior high. We read about something called the Deerfield Massacre of the French and Indian War in social studies class. I remember thinking "This will never have any relationship to my life.". As things worked out, not only did I end up going to high school in the town where the event occurred, my dorm room freshman year was in the very building where some of it took place.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-26-23, 11:22 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by SpedFast
I took a course in Cross Country Skiing when I was in high school. It didn't set me up for the Olympics, but I've had a great time using my skills in Search and Rescue after leaving the service and it instilled a lifelong love of the outdoors. Too many kids today are out of shape and spend all their time playing video games. If a bike course in school instills a desire to ride, it's all good!
Funny. I tried ski jumping in high school. Only thing was, I couldn't ski. Seriously.

During the fall trimester, I got kicked off the water polo team when the school realized I had a congenital heart defect. I ended up working on trail crew to fulfill my athletics requirement. It was comprised of non-athletic student/"nerds". Four days a week we would go up on the mountain and work to get the ski facilities ready for the winter. That's how I solidified my love of the outdoors. And fall is one damn fine time to be working outdoors in the New England woods. Became the school's only four-year varsity rail crew member. Even got a varsity sweater.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-26-23, 12:48 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Here in the UK, primary schools offer cycling proficiency courses. Most kids have bikes anyway, but it teaches them the basics of road safety. There is no bike maintenance element involved.
Old 10-26-23, 01:45 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
In London it takes no skill to get your bike stolen. Even the mayor managed to do it ......
Old 10-26-23, 01:58 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Although I am not an economist, wouldn't training a lot of kids how to do bike maintenance drive down the value of the trade by increasing the supply of that labor and simultaneously decreasing the demand, since more people could/would do it themselves?
Might be good for Park Tools though.
Old 10-26-23, 02:16 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Is there interest in something like that in your area? It would be awesome, but I think kids just don’t ride bikes that’s much.

Dan
In my area. MTB racing is growing as a sport among kids. Good friends of mine are the head coaches for the MTB teams at 3 locals high school. Ever year, they are seeing more participation . Some are already racers, some have some riding experience, and others are new to cycling. In addition to learning riding skills, and developing fitness, they learn about bike maintenance and repair.
Old 10-26-23, 02:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Pratt
Although I am not an economist, wouldn't training a lot of kids how to do bike maintenance drive down the value of the trade by increasing the supply of that labor and simultaneously decreasing the demand, since more people could/would do it themselves?
Might be good for Park Tools though.
No.

1- just because someone can do something doesn't mean they will. I built a 6' privacy shadowbox fence 18 years ago, but I can confidently day I won't build another in my lifetime if I have any say.
2- learning bike maintenance can translate to many other skills- general understanding of following directions, for example. Understanding gear ratios and where else that exists in life. Chemical interaction of conflicting metals. The confidence to know bigger tasks can be learned and mastered- like oil changes or vehicle brake swaps. Etc etc.
3- many will do small maintenance once they have skills, but still leave larger issues to a shop.
4- learning to repair an older simple mechanical drivetrain with external cables is nothing like a internal cable hydraulic bike or electric shifting bike. Just because someone can clean, grease, and adjust a hub doesn't mean mechanics at the local shop should scared of being fired due to lack of work.
Old 10-26-23, 03:07 PM
adlai

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
None of my posts said anything about bicycling as a career choice. I know the industry is tough. But I pretty much self taught myself on bicycles and that was a missed opportunity for the school system. A lot of the AP courses in high school were junk, and it's becoming obvious that a lot of what is taught in college is also junk.
Old 10-26-23, 03:44 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Theoretically, yes. But it would depend on the number who subsequently choose careers in bike wrenching.
Old 10-26-23, 03:50 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I know a guy who had a job as a bike mechanic for a long time. He built up my custom road frame.

He now owns his own shop, which is very popular. Don’t believe everything you read on the Internet, especially from certain people.

https://www.twistedcog.com
Being a small business owner can be lucrative, but the bike business has always been a low-margin thing which is why bike mechanics earn starvation wages. A bike shop owner is going to have more than a few sleepless nights when the bills come due every month, and he’s going to have to put away what he makes in the good times to keep him out of bankruptcy in the bad times. I know the business well, and remember when the court sent deputies to the shop where I worked to seize whatever assets and inventory that could pay off creditors. Don’t get into the bike business unless you are canny, and know how to squeeze blood from a turnip.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 10-26-23, 04:01 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
With all the information that we have today on internet it's pointless to enroll in bike maintenance classes. It's so easy to go online and find everything you need that's related to bike maintenance...The first time I worked on my bikes was way back in 1983 when I was just 13 years old. I decided to convert my bike to a singlespeed. No internet back then, no books on how to work on bikes... I used a hammer and a punch to split a chain and join it back, didn't even know anything about bike specific tools. It worked. Shortly after that I repainted my bike with a rattle can paint....Bikes are very simple, you don't need to go to school and take courses. Any person who is mechanically inclined can work on bikes.
Old 10-26-23, 05:21 PM
adlai

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
With all the information that we have today on internet it's pointless to enroll in bike maintenance classes. It's so easy to go online and find everything you need that's related to bike maintenance...The first time I worked on my bikes was way back in 1983 when I was just 13 years old. I decided to convert my bike to a singlespeed. No internet back then, no books on how to work on bikes... I used a hammer and a punch to split a chain and join it back, didn't even know anything about bike specific tools. It worked. Shortly after that I repainted my bike with a rattle can paint....Bikes are very simple, you don't need to go to school and take courses. Any person who is mechanically inclined can work on bikes.
You can literally say the same thing about everything taught in high school and college.

A bicycling class is a great experience for young kids which could hook many on a lifetime of cycling and all of the benefits.
Old 10-26-23, 05:29 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
No internet back then, no books on how to work on bikes...
While the '80s sucked for various reasons, not having bike books isn't one of them.
Old 10-26-23, 07:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
None of my posts said anything about bicycling as a career choice. I know the industry is tough. But I pretty much self taught myself on bicycles and that was a missed opportunity for the school system. A lot of the AP courses in high school were junk, and it's becoming obvious that a lot of what is taught in college is also junk.
One person’s junk is another’s invaluable treasure and vice versa

Old 10-26-23, 07:40 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
You can literally say the same thing about everything taught in high school and college.

A bicycling class is a great experience for young kids which could hook many on a lifetime of cycling and all of the benefits.
If you ever need a medical specialist, I would hope they are better than self taught or have more than a bike mechanics level of expertise. Education is not a bad thing especially when it comes to critical thinking and going beyond generalizations.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-26-23, 08:22 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
It might be nice— and a source of an easy A— to teach kids basic bicycle maintenance in the schools, but it’s scarcely important or significant. It only takes about 2 days to learn all one needs to know gor that, so not much impediment to picking that up anytime, say off YouTube videos.

What would be great would be a section on how to ride roads, so that people aren’t going around like idiots. I’m sure it could prevent deaths and go a way towards converting some to commuting or to making short trips by bike rather than car, so I’d argue such a class is more important and significant than bike mechanics/maintenance.
I strongly second this.

Not too long ago I was on a ride and came over the crest of a hill to find two teenage girls riding side-by-side--headed the wrong way in my lane. I said, "You're on the wrong side of the road."

One of them said, "Uh, actually, no." At this point they were drifting across the road to avoid me because I was not yielding, and I replied, "Actually, yes. You're on a vehicle and you're required to obey vehicular traffic rules."

I didn't hear any more out of them, and I didn't care; I just hope they went home and googled it. Thing is, they should have known.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 10-27-23, 02:35 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

The thing about teenagers and school kids is that they have no interest in bikes or anything cycling related or anything that requires using tools, Their main interests are modern trends such as social media, smartphones and latest fashion trends...I wonder how many of them would actually attend a class on bike maintenance if the schools offered it ?...probably not even one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.