Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycling class in high school

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycling class in high school

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-23, 08:35 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I have to disagree. There are brilliant people, successful people, people with massive intellectual backgrounds, who cannot maintain a bike, change a faucet washer, or perform basic mechanical tasks.
It's not a question of intelligence, some people just aren't wired to work with their hands.
Sure. A high school "Bicycling" class isn't going to help that type. That's what bike shops are for.
Old 11-03-23, 08:36 AM
smd4

Whether it's working on bikes or cars or metal shop or whatever I think it is good to expose young people to some form of mechanical tasks. It might enrich their lives, might help them to cope with the future.
Then a general "shop" class should suffice.
Old 11-03-23, 08:49 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I have to disagree. There are brilliant people, successful people, people with massive intellectual backgrounds, who cannot maintain a bike, change a faucet washer, or perform basic mechanical tasks.
It's not a question of intelligence, some people just aren't wired to work with their hands.
I have fairly limited mechanical aptitude, but I can certainly change a faucet washer. Or install a new faucet. Or a new water heater or ceiling fan. A lot of basic mechanical repairs are so simple that literally anyone can do them. A fair number of folks who "can't" do these things really could do so quite easily. They believe they can't and it becomes self fulfilling prophecy.

Having said that, I do believe bicycle maintenance can be a little more complex and experience is quite beneficial. I don't do my own wrenching on bikes because I don't care to invest the time and energy. But I believe if I had to I likely could in most cases. I'm not sure HS kids should be taught bicycle maintenance because I'm not sure many of them of riding bicycles these days. But they should learn how to do some sort of "wrenching" so they understand that they really can turn a wrench. It will serve them well later in life so they can make a reasonable assessment as to whether or not the problem at hand really is something they could deal with. I know a number of folks who call in a contractor for the easiest of jobs simply because they believe they can't do it.
Old 11-03-23, 08:51 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Not sure about school now, or in other areas, but where I grew up, along with dinosaur hunting we had basic shop classes ... and girls had Home Ec ... in middle school (ages 11-13.) I assume that was because educators decided that high school was to be more focused, such that people who wanted to pursue tech careers would know that while those who did not could focus on various aspects of scholastics.
Old 11-03-23, 08:52 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8283 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Sure. A high school "Bicycling" class isn't going to help that type. That's what bike shops are for.
No, it won't necessarily help the inept. But you could say that about nearly all high school classes. There were plenty of classes I took which did nothing for me and plenty I should have taken. There are like 600,000 students in the L.A Unified District. Lots of variables among them.
Old 11-03-23, 08:53 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Um...exactly how many hours are in a day? In a school day? Sadly, it's simply a fact that NOT EVERY SUBJECT can be taught in high school. There is a limit. Sometimes you just can't DO BOTH.

And "Bicycling" shouldn't be one of them.
24 hours are in a school day. 7 or 8 periods are in a typical HS school day.
Agreed, not every subject can be taught in high school.
As for saying you cant always do both, I agree with that too. But I also provided actual info to show how these 2 things can both exist. So since actual info showing how they can both exist has been put forth, you need to respond with something different than 'sometimes you just cant do both' because that isnt actually a rebuttal to evidence that both can be done.

Post 79 details the number of required credits as well as the number of core class hours. 1/3 of required hours to graduate are electives. An elective can be 'Applied Mechanics' where bike maintenance is taught as part of the curriculum. That is separate from any required classes, of which financial management is one.
Ill let you in on a secret- a class on model trains could even exist as an elective. There could be sections on model train history, set design and building, lessons on various architecture styles(bridge engineering/architecture for example), and more. It would be an Interdisciplinary class that, if actually structured correctly, would legitimately expose kids to a lot of knowledge and practical experience.

This is one of those times where you should listen more than speak.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-03-23, 08:53 AM
big john

Then a general "shop" class should suffice.
That was kinda my point.
Old 11-03-23, 08:55 AM
smd4

No, it won't necessarily help the inept. But you could say that about nearly all high school classes. There were plenty of classes I took which did nothing for me and plenty I should have taken. There are like 600,000 students in the L.A Unified District. Lots of variables among them.
Don't get me started on "LA Unified..." Glad I was in Las Virgenes.
Old 11-03-23, 09:11 AM
big john

Originally Posted by jon c.
. A lot of basic mechanical repairs are so simple that literally anyone can do them.
I agree with most of your post except this part. And the part about you having a limited ability. The things you described being able to do are above the scope of many people. Far above.
I've done thousands of club rides with hundreds of people. Some struggle with the simplest thing, even after fighting it for years. Some people can't work with tools.

I worked with a kid, maybe 22 or 23. Came to the dealer as a trainee and had amassed $$$ in debt to a private school. Nice guy, everyone liked him but he could not perform any mechanical tasks. We had a recall on the Volt for rear hatch struts. Pop off a couple clips and snap the new struts on. Paid .2, or 12 minutes. He couldn't do it, even after some of us showed him how and even did some for him just so he could show he had done some work. After a few weeks they had to let him go.

Putting in a faucet washer or a ceiling fan would have been out of the question.

I worked as an automotive instructor at a ROP. One of my classes was special education high school students. Some of these guys were as good with cars as many dealership technicians I have seen. Give them a complicated water pump and they could finish quickly with no leaks, no parts left over, and the car was ready to go.
Others couldn't even figure out which way to turn a wrench. Extreme example? Yes, but my point stands.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-03-23, 09:16 AM
smd4

We've got guys like that at the railroad. Ask them to go grab the left-hand hammer and off they go to the shop, searching the rest of the day...
Old 11-03-23, 09:17 AM
big john

Don't get me started on "LA Unified..." Glad I was in Las Virgenes.
It's a huge mess, for sure. I graduated in 1971 and I was so happy to be out of that hell. Went back and worked for the district in the 80s for a couple years. It's not all about the students. Politics, egos, people throwing their power around, etc. It's way too big.
Old 11-03-23, 09:24 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
our HS offers mountain biking as part of the advanced Phys Ed course

it’s very popular

based on the condition of many of the bikes after the school year - a mechanical / bike maintenance class in addition might be a good idea lol
Old 11-03-23, 09:28 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
I agree with most of your post except this part. And the part about you having a limited ability. The things you described being able to do are above the scope of many people. Far above.
I've done thousands of club rides with hundreds of people. Some struggle with the simplest thing, even after fighting it for years. Some people can't work with tools.

I worked with a kid, maybe 22 or 23. Came to the dealer as a trainee and had amassed $$$ in debt to a private school. Nice guy, everyone liked him but he could not perform any mechanical tasks. We had a recall on the Volt for rear hatch struts. Pop off a couple clips and snap the new struts on. Paid .2, or 12 minutes. He couldn't do it, even after some of us showed him how and even did some for him just so he could show he had done some work. After a few weeks they had to let him go.

Putting in a faucet washer or a ceiling fan would have been out of the question.

I worked as an automotive instructor at a ROP. One of my classes was special education high school students. Some of these guys were as good with cars as many dealership technicians I have seen. Give them a complicated water pump and they could finish quickly with no leaks, no parts left over, and the car was ready to go.
Others couldn't even figure out which way to turn a wrench. Extreme example? Yes, but my point stands.
My wife is totally inept at using tools and will readily admit it. But that has never prevented her from becoming a successful accountant and business owner. One of the advantages of living in society as opposed to independent isolation. I'm not great at wrenching either (I lack the patience), but I am a highly qualified and successful mechanical engineer. Some of the mechanics I have worked with are amazing with tools. I can only do the basics.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-03-23, 09:32 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
our HS offers mountain biking as part of the advanced Phys Ed course

it’s very popular

based on the condition of many of the bikes after the school year a mechanical class in addition might be a good idea lol
What part of the world are you in? The school provides bikes?

HS MTB teams in my area are extra-curricular (technically "clubs"), meeting after school and weekends. Some of the teams have a couple of loaner bikes (usually old bikes owned by team coaches), but for the most part, kids provide their own bikes. Some are pretty low-end and/or older. Some are pro-level, race-rockets. Most are somewhere in the middle. This seems to be most influenced most by the parents' involvement. Kids who have parents who ride seriously show up with serious bikes.

Last edited by Eric F; 11-03-23 at 09:45 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 11-03-23, 09:42 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,300 Times in 2,948 Posts
Do high schools offer classes on coffee making?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-03-23, 09:43 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by Eric F
What part of the world are you in? The school provides bikes?

HS MTB teams in my area are extra-curricular (technically "clubs"), meeting after school and weekends. Some of the teams have a couple of loaner bikes (usually old bikes owned by team coaches), but for the most pert, kids provide their own bikes. Some are pretty low-end and/or older. Some are pro-level, race-rockets. Most are somewhere in the middle. This seems to be most influenced most by the parents' involvement. Kids who have parents who ride seriously show up with serious bikes.
I believe federal and state grants provide a good part of the money for the program (including the bikes)

they also do kayaking and hiking etc in the advanced PE class

just early this year they received a small grant to build a mountain bike skills course at one of the middle schools
Old 11-03-23, 09:44 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

It's really not different than singing. Some have "it", and with instruction, can improve their abilities to high levels. Some will never be more than mediocre, regardless of training. Others will never be able to sing a single clear note, on pitch, no matter what you do with them. None of it has to do with academic aptitude or intelligence.
Old 11-03-23, 09:46 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by t2p
I believe federal and state grants provide a good part of the money for the program (including the bikes)

they also do kayaking and hiking etc in the advanced PE class

just early this year they received a small grant to build a mountain bike skills course at one of the middle schools
I'm guessing you're in part of the country where outdoor recreation is a big part of the local culture.
Old 11-03-23, 09:53 AM
t2p

I'm guessing you're in part of the country where outdoor recreation is a big part of the local culture.
???

not really - I would think we would rate below your area ? (and possibly well below)

the program was created by the chair of the Phys Ed department - he (primarily) was/is responsible for the program and secured the funding etc

outdoor recreation, activity, exercise is especially important for today’s youth when you see the numbers of obese etc

I see some of the bikes at the LBS for repairs … whew .. as you can imagine they take a beating …
Old 11-03-23, 10:04 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by t2p
???

not really - I would think we would rate below your area ? (and possibly well below)

the program was created by the chair of the Phys Ed department - he (primarily) was/is responsible for the program and secured the funding etc

outdoor recreation, activity, exercise is especially important for today’s youth when you see the numbers of obese etc

I see some of the bikes at the LBS for repairs … whew .. as you can imagine they take a beating …
Interesting. Maybe it comes down to finding motivated people to create and run the programs, and chase after the funding. As far as I'm aware, the local HS MTB teams in my area are all self-funded.

While there are a lot of options for outdoor activities in So Cal, I wouldn't consider our local culture significantly influenced by it. There are other areas in CA that are much more influenced by recreation.
Old 11-03-23, 10:21 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
???

Interesting. Maybe it comes down to finding motivated people to create and run the programs, and chase after the funding. As far as I'm aware, the local HS MTB teams in my area are all self-funded.

While there are a lot of options for outdoor activities in So Cal, I wouldn't consider our local culture significantly influenced by it. There are other areas in CA that are much more influenced by recreation.
it is a number of things .... a few motivated people who are willing to do the workl and are good at politics or persuasion a couple people who know how to work the system, and a region with eno0ugh of a tax base so that funds are available---plus a region where such programs make sense.

I don't think inner city Boston or Baltimore are candidates ... though the roads in the poorer sections of Baltimore are rougher than a lot of MTB trails. Not much demand, and money is badly needed for things like ... books, paper, pens, pencils ... teachers.

NorCal, Oregon, Colorado, probably have a lot of communities where local funding, grants, student and parent interest, all come together to form ripe zones for cycling clubs or classes or teams. In some southern states, probably there are no bicycle programs because 85% of the students cannot spell "bicycle."

I know a few places where I could possibly start a program about how to steal bikes and trade them for .... "merchandise." Probably get funding from the merchandise traders.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-03-23, 10:24 AM
t2p

I mentioned mountain biking has trickled down to the middle school level - and in addition within the past few years they introduced introductory bike riding at the elementary phys ed school level

Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

Likes For t2p:
Old 11-03-23, 10:30 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by t2p

I mentioned mountain biking has trickled down to the middle school level - and in addition within the past few years they introduced introductory bike riding at the elementary phys ed school level

https://www.facebook.com/northallegh...7710677324765/

That's awesome!!
Old 11-03-23, 11:43 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
I always think it'd be cool to start a cycling club at my daughter's high school. As a parent advisor, I'd break it down into 3 parts. Bicycle safety/handling, bicycle fitness/nutrition and bicycle mechanics/maintenance. It'd be like an after school club (bootcamp) that would focus on discipline, awareness, physical training and skills development. I'd probably have them train on steel 1x gravel bikes for ultimate durability, ease of maintenance and terrain flexibility. I'd even make them hit the gym for strength training and put them on a nutrition regiment. Seriously, I see just how intense my kids' soccer program is and I wish I could see that same kind of focus on bikes!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 11-03-23, 12:02 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
It's really not different than singing. Some have "it", and with instruction, can improve their abilities to high levels. Some will never be more than mediocre, regardless of training. Others will never be able to sing a single clear note, on pitch, no matter what you do with them. None of it has to do with academic aptitude or intelligence.
I found this out with learning (or attempting to learn) various musical instruments. I just don't have it in me to progress beyond a very basic level. I know some people who can just play by ear effortlessly and it is f@%$#ing annoying!
Likes For PeteHski:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.