Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

DC Bike Shelters - on NPR

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-09, 11:26 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...449158&ps=cprs

Interesting story from this morning's Morning Edition, about a project to install bike lockers at the main train station in DC.
Old 09-02-09, 11:47 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They need it. Best way to get a bike stolen in DC is to park it at Union Station.
Old 09-02-09, 02:55 PM
cycle16v

Bikes: Cannondale, Giant, Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heard it this morning too! It's good to see NPR highlight the bike garage and actually talk positive about cycling and commuting to work.

Wish we had something like this around DFW too.
Old 09-02-09, 03:14 PM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
They need it. Best way to get a bike stolen in DC is to park it at Union Station.
From my own personal experience, leaving it in your garage works pretty well for that, too.

I am interested to ride by there one of these days and see what it's looking like. It's not anywhere near my commuting route (I work close to the White House and come in from Alexandria), but I'm glad it's there and that the District is taking steps to improve cycling infrastructure. There's always room for improvement, especially when it comes to building cycling infrastructure vis-a-vis automobile infrastructure, but it's a step in the right direction, as is Smart Bike...

Of course in light of the unceremonious removal of the Alice Swanson ghost bike this week, it's x steps forward, y steps back, but it's better than nothing.
Old 09-02-09, 08:31 PM
ShinyBiker
Pedaling fool

Bikes: 07 Schwinn Voyageur GSD, Next Avalon, 2007 Dahon Yeah

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
EKW,

Excited about this facility. Awaiting what it'll cost, etc. I walked by it and it looks cool. Everything there is so classical and it's nice to see that angular thing coming out of the ground.

Thanks for the link about the Alice Swanson story. I hadn't read a full accounting of how she got killed. If I had been in her position, I think I would have bailed to the right. Maybe it happened too fast. I think I remember it was early in the morning, so maybe she was groggy.

I ride DC streets alot and even with the bike lanes, I take the lane. If I see a car coming up on me I'll go to the bike lane. I feel secure that most likely the driver saw me.

Even though the Mayor may have goofed on this one, he's probably the best mayor bicyclists have ever had around there.