Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Stock Guy comes to life

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Stock Guy comes to life

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-12, 10:10 AM
STOCKGUY

Bikes: MASI Alare

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stock Guy comes to life

Hello all. First a little riding background. I started riding about 6 years ago to get back into shape. I fixed up an old Schwinn 10 speed, rode once a week and got up to 34 miles. Then some friends who had been riding for 30 years sucked me into a ride with Boy Scouts from Brookings Oregon to San Francisco about 450 miles, 6 days a week. I was not in good shape to start and had just pulled a hamstring a few days before the start of the ride while playing tennis with my son in Idaho. I had gotten a MASI 18 speed and was able to ride starting the second day and was able to finish. That got me hooked. I'm in much better shape now and try to do 100 miles a week plus 3 sets of tennis twice a week.

I've been an elementary school teacher for 11 years, a Facilities Engineer in Aerospace for 13 years helping to build the Stealth Bomber plant in Pico Rivera (now a shopping mall) and have taught stock market classes at local colleges since 1999 when I retired from teaching. I'm currently trading stock options and doing some internet marketing for a friend.
Old 11-27-12, 10:13 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Hi Guy,

Welcome to Bike Forums from a 70 y/o Texas road rider.

Old 11-27-12, 10:22 AM
RedC

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STOCKGUY
Hello all. First a little riding background. I started riding about 6 years ago to get back into shape. I fixed up an old Schwinn 10 speed, rode once a week and got up to 34 miles. Then some friends who had been riding for 30 years sucked me into a ride with Boy Scouts from Brookings Oregon to San Francisco about 450 miles, 6 days a week. I was not in good shape to start and had just pulled a hamstring a few days before the start of the ride while playing tennis with my son in Idaho. I had gotten a MASI 18 speed and was able to ride starting the second day and was able to finish. That got me hooked. I'm in much better shape now and try to do 100 miles a week plus 3 sets of tennis twice a week.

I've been an elementary school teacher for 11 years, a Facilities Engineer in Aerospace for 13 years helping to build the Stealth Bomber plant in Pico Rivera (now a shopping mall) and have taught stock market classes at local colleges since 1999 when I retired from teaching. I'm currently trading stock options and doing some internet marketing for a friend.
Welcome to the forum. What are you riding now?
Old 11-27-12, 10:53 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Welcome aboard Stockman! I started riding again in 2008 and enjoy it tremendously. What a tricky time to be selling stocks! I think I would rather sell bikes.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-27-12, 12:42 PM
STOCKGUY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Welcome aboard Stockman! I started riding again in 2008 and enjoy it tremendously. What a tricky time to be selling stocks! I think I would rather sell bikes.
Well not exactly. In a down market, long-term, like we have now selling short or buy put options is actually quite lucrative and not all that hard once you know how to play the game. Rule #1 The game is rigged.
Old 11-27-12, 12:44 PM
STOCKGUY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Hi Guy,

Welcome to Bike Forums from a 70 y/o Texas road rider.
I play tennis each week with one guy who is 75 and another who is 85. The 85 year old is usually on court 1 for the best players. These are not your usual broken down old guys, they can play.
Old 11-27-12, 12:48 PM
STOCKGUY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm riding a Masi Alare I got from a local shop in Moreno Valley, White's Bike. I've learned to like it as I got better at riding. My longest ride is 74 miles. I'm trying to get enough miles in to do a century here pretty quick, as soon as I get over my tennis injury that has kept me off the courts for 8 weeks. Not doing that again. Rule #2, listen to your coach. When it starts to hurt, STOP!
Old 11-27-12, 01:00 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by STOCKGUY
I play tennis each week with one guy who is 75 and another who is 85. The 85 year old is usually on court 1 for the best players. These are not your usual broken down old guys, they can play.
I look pretty good for 70.
Bought 2 new bikes this year for inspiration. 8,000 mi ytd.

Ride a few 100's each year.

Old 12-01-12, 09:06 AM
STOCKGUY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still riding the MASI Alare that I rode on the Scout trip. I love it and have no complaints.
Old 12-01-12, 09:29 AM
STOCKGUY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I look pretty good for 70.
Bought 2 new bikes this year for inspiration. 8,000 mi ytd.

Ride a few 100's each year.

You do look pretty good, hope I look as healthy when I hit 70. Which one is you, they guy or the gal? Just kidding. Texas eh? I just started working with Bike Texas, a safety and bike advocacy group. Do you know them? They are in Austin. I hope to hit my first Century in January. It's hard to be able to take an entire day off. I'll be lucky to get in 2,000 miles this year. Hope next year I'll be able to ride more.
Old 12-02-12, 01:01 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Nice to meet you guy! Welcome to the forums, where you can find fellow people coping with their overwhelming urge and dependence on bikahol. Enjoy your stay!

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 12-02-12, 03:44 PM
Quillback424

Bikes: Trek Madone 6.2, Trek FX 7.5 and Specialized Secteur 64cm

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I worked in Pico in 1984 doing a proposal for stealth trainer. I was there when they did the loud speaker announcement that all of the major networks were outside wanting to interview people about the employee that tried to throw the plans for the bomber over the fence of the Russian Embassy in San Fran. Were you there then?