Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Need a "R-------"

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Need a "R-------"

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-12, 02:32 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Need a "R-------"

And before anyone says recumbent--It's a rest. And I don't need sympathy or rapid cures for an old problem as This is not a major problem.

Had a lower spine problem for years and is something that stays with me constantly. Normally wake in the morning and I can feel it and it goes fairly quickly although it has laid me up occasionally. Several years ago I went to the quacks and was told to exercise more so never bothered about it but I will be seeing what advice they offer tomorrow.

Woke yesterday with a twinge and I had to go and cut someone's lawn. loaded my mower in the camper and still no worse but 2 hours later I had had enough. Not real agony but standing it hurt- walking and the left leg was going numb and lying down would be OK for 5 minutes and then I had to move to put the pain in a different position. Afternoon and I decided on the ultimate cure and got the bike out. Decided on the Pinnie as this has the bars a bit higher. Seems funny to some of you that ride uprights due to a back problem but I have done rides before where it was a struggle to get the leg over the saddle but once on the bike- I was fine. May not have been able to put effort in on the pedals but the back was relieved completely. Even did one ride where the Pie was taken on the bike as I could not sit on a chair and the bike was comfy.

But not yesterday. Went for a 5 miler just to ease the pain and it did not work. In agony all the way so back home and take an aspirin. Watched TV and the recordings of the cycling shown on Eurosport that I have not watched yet. Still pain and a mate came round. He shot off home and came back with some "Deep Heat" rub and it has never worked before. Every time I sat in a chair I thought my back was going to burst into flames so had to keep moving till it wore off. Don't know if it was the heat or the keeping mobile but it worked. Got a bit of mobility back and a lot less pain.

So just about to get on the bike and try that 5 miler again. Have to get fit as I have applied for the London 100 mile ride as next year and I am not going to find another excuse to have a winter lay-off from exercise. Had that last year and that is probably why I have had so many problems getting back into training for what has finally turned into a great summer. 9:30 am and no clouds- no wind and temp just into the 80's. Never know- that 5 miler may get some Pie involved down on the seafront.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 08-19-12 at 02:36 AM.
Old 08-19-12, 05:50 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Kidney stone?
Old 08-19-12, 05:53 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
So sorry to hear about your back pain, stap. Here's hopeing your "R" does the trick. If it doesn't, there's another kind of "R" patiently waiting in the wings.
Old 08-19-12, 06:01 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
I know this feeling all too well. The bicycling has actually helped ease it up a bit for me. It's been a while since I've last suffered the "bend over of DOOooOOOoooM!" where I put on my shoes and my back goes out with a crackling sound and a wave of "can't move and about to throw up, it hurts so much!" pain that puts me out of commission for at least two days, and hobbling slowly for a week.

Rest up and recover! "thumbs up"
Old 08-19-12, 06:13 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh stap, I am so sad to hear of your trouble. Take a rest and I hope that does it for you.
Old 08-19-12, 07:01 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Stap,
Hope you get some relief. P.M. sent to you about this.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-19-12, 07:16 AM
El Segundo

Bikes: '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe, '73/60 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Hang in there Stapfam, hope your strategy will get you some relief.
Old 08-19-12, 02:03 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This morning and I was fine- bit of pain but No lifting and no riding . Just aswell as I have just spent the afternoon trying to get comfy- by walking about-sitting- Lying down-and nothing works for long.

Just to make things a lot worse-Eurosport had a failure on their coverage of La Vuelta and I had to watch a rerun of some minor race earlier in the year- 3 TIMES. They just kept repeating it so not a very happy bunny over here in the UK-

Ultimate cure has to be tried now-- Just opened a bottle of 25 year old Cognac. Was saving it for "Medicinal Purposes Only" but was hoping that would have been when I could enjoy the Cognac and not just the effects.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-19-12, 03:24 PM
Mort Canard

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stap,
Glad to hear you are feeling better. Do you have any stretching exercises that can help you work the kinks out of your back? I usually do about 5-10 min. of stretches in the morning and it helps keep the back stiffness at bay. If I skip the stretches for more than a few days I find myself with lower back stiffness and discomfort.

Be well!
Old 08-20-12, 12:59 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Got a trapped nerve. It's either that or Sciatica so plenty of rest and see how it goes. Only medication is Codeine and none of the anti-inflammatory drugs that will work but I can not take.

Funny thing is I cycled to the surgery and the first thing the Doctor said was "Oh-You cycle"--- as if that is a rarity. That was before I told her about what the problem was. She didn't say anything about not cycling so providing I can get a bit more life in the left leg- I will take gentle rides as part of the cure.

So nothing serious- just painful.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-20-12, 01:03 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Good to hear it's not serious. Hope the pain leaves quickly, or become much more manageable.
Old 08-20-12, 01:04 PM
AmFaeEmbra
NewKidInTown

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Just to make things a lot worse-Eurosport had a failure on their coverage of La Vuelta and I had to watch a rerun of some minor race earlier in the year- 3 TIMES. They just kept repeating it so not a very happy bunny over here in the UK
Sympathies with the sore body Stapfam, but here's some good news - https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=323459 1 hour of daily highlights from La Vuelta on ITV4 just for you! (Apologies to non-Brits - only available in GB)
Old 08-20-12, 01:18 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AmFaeEmbra
Sympathies with the sore body Stapfam, but here's some good news - https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=323459 1 hour of daily highlights from La Vuelta on ITV4 just for you! (Apologies to non-Brits - only available in GB)
Eurosport has about 2 or 3 hours each afternoon and it is being recorded each day so I can relax on the floor with my head nicely propped up and the wife running round me with cups of tea.--That is the ideal- but yesterday Eurosport had a problem transmitting and the wife wanted to hoover the lounge.

I'll have to get an extension lead down the garden so I can watch TV from the Hammock.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-20-12, 05:46 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Stap,
That is much better than I expected for you. Glad it is "only" the nerve or sciatica, no surgery is always a good thing. I used my link on EuroSport TV at work this morning to watch the Vuelta on Channel 6, that is nice for me since I can put it on another screen and switch back and forth or just listen to the commentary.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 08-20-12 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-20-12, 06:59 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really sorry to hear of your back problems. I've had them and they can be incredibly painful. I have to remember to do stretching and strengthening excericizes each morning. If I remember, my back is fine. When I forget my back reminds me... I know riding is a big part of your life so I'm happy to hear that it sounds like your body may be healing on its own. Take care of that body -- its clearly a good one.
Old 08-21-12, 06:58 AM
AmFaeEmbra
NewKidInTown

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
but yesterday Eurosport had a problem transmitting and the wife wanted to hoover the lounge.
You can still catch some of the bits you missed on ITVPlayer - all episodes are online for a while.
Old 08-22-12, 03:54 AM
Jamesw2

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Read some James Allen. It is online or have pie or with pie

have a good rest
Old 08-22-12, 05:50 PM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like sciatica. Do you keep a wallet in the rear pocket on the side you have the problem ? Often that can cause or exacerbate the problem.