Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Hello from the UK

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-12, 04:07 AM
aynz

Bikes: Giant Defy Road Bike & Giant Rincon Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from the UK

Hi All,

I decided to join this forum after looking for 4xl size clothing via Google and it is great to find a community of riders who are 200+ lbs like me.

I live in Scotland (Edinburgh) and am embarking on cycling again to lose weight and keep fit avoiding high blood pressure etc. There has been a massive upsurge of cyclists in the UK since Brad Wiggins' TDF win and the success in the Olympics and I am guilty of getting caught up in it myself.

I used to race in my teens, in fact I was an England schoolboy international on the track and road but as I entered into adulthood nightclubs, late night eating and women took over and I fell by the wayside. :-/

My current weight is 310lbs and I am 6ft 5", ideally I want to reach 200lbs as I think this would be a comfortable weight for me, I look forward to contributing to the forum and hopefully making some new friends as well :-)

BTW, if anyone can point me to a good website for large clothing that doesn't charge silly prices that would be great. I already got love2pedal from this forum and that looks a great site.
Old 08-31-12, 04:12 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hello. I'm not all that far south of you.

You don't say how old you are, but if you were international class as a kid you'll soon get it back if you can shift the weight. Bought a bike yet?
Old 08-31-12, 04:19 AM
aynz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, yeah I was 13 when I road competitively now I am 41 :-/ so I guess knowing the pain involved and what it is like to be fit is a good motivator and also know what I am letting myself in for.

I have a Giant Defy road bike and a Giant Mountain bike which I intend on using for the winter. They have changed so much since I last rode a bike. I had an aluminum ALAN frame from back in the day which is now classed as retro LOL.

Last edited by aynz; 08-31-12 at 04:22 AM.
Old 08-31-12, 04:26 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Good on you for getting back into shape . Best of luck , it's a long voyage . Still on it myself .
Old 08-31-12, 04:29 AM
apollored

Bikes: Apollo Revival Mountain Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe this can be an inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4nSo3uTOEE
Old 08-31-12, 04:34 AM
aynz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apollored
Maybe this can be an inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4nSo3uTOEE
Awesome, love it :-)
Old 08-31-12, 04:40 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Defy is a nice bike. Do you commute? When I got back into cycling I found that choosing to commute by bike was a brilliant way of getting in plenty of riding time without adding too many hours to my day.
Old 08-31-12, 04:50 AM
aynz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
The Defy is a nice bike. Do you commute? When I got back into cycling I found that choosing to commute by bike was a brilliant way of getting in plenty of riding time without adding too many hours to my day.
Alas I work from home however I am self employed so I can sneak out for a cheeky ride when I like so its not too bad.
Old 09-01-12, 09:29 AM
AmFaeEmbra
NewKidInTown

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
it is great to find a community of riders who are 200+ lbs like me.
I'm really a lurker here as I've never actually hit the 200lbs mark, (got quite close, right enough!) but the Clydesdales and Athenas who inhabit it make this a nice place to be.

I live in Scotland (Edinburgh) and am embarking on cycling again to lose weight and keep fit avoiding high blood pressure etc.
SNAP! Edinburgh born and bred and living in Polwarth, trying to shift half a stone short-term, and at least a full stone as something to aim for.

This is a handy bookmark for most things bikey in our fair city - https://citycyclingedinburgh.info/bbpress/

BTW, if anyone can point me to a good website for large clothing that doesn't charge silly prices that would be great. I already got love2pedal from this forum and that looks a great site.
https://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk has some really good prices and goes up to 4XL. Check out the clearance tab, but you've got to be quick. Free P+P too!

Get in touch if you're looking for someone to get you out and about. I'm not on the bike as often as I should be as other stuff keeps getting in the way, but if definite dates were set up I'd be there. Mid to late afternoons with enough notice and I'm your man. If you prefer doing stuff by yourself that's ok, but whatever you do - just get out there on the bike!
Old 09-01-12, 09:45 AM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome.
Old 09-03-12, 09:43 AM
aynz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AmFaeEmbra
it is great to find a community of riders who are 200+ lbs like me.
I'm really a lurker here as I've never actually hit the 200lbs mark, (got quite close, right enough!) but the Clydesdales and Athenas who inhabit it make this a nice place to be.

I live in Scotland (Edinburgh) and am embarking on cycling again to lose weight and keep fit avoiding high blood pressure etc.
SNAP! Edinburgh born and bred and living in Polwarth, trying to shift half a stone short-term, and at least a full stone as something to aim for.

This is a handy bookmark for most things bikey in our fair city - https://citycyclingedinburgh.info/bbpress/

https://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk has some really good prices and goes up to 4XL. Check out the clearance tab, but you've got to be quick. Free P+P too!

Get in touch if you're looking for someone to get you out and about. I'm not on the bike as often as I should be as other stuff keeps getting in the way, but if definite dates were set up I'd be there. Mid to late afternoons with enough notice and I'm your man. If you prefer doing stuff by yourself that's ok, but whatever you do - just get out there on the bike!
Thanks for the info! I will definitely check out the cycling info site, I need to get a good idea of some cycling routes. Also thanks for the cycle clothing website, it looks good, a few things out of stock in my size at the moment but I will keep checking back.

Also I will be in touch via the forum about going out for a ride, I need to get some level of fitness first I am pretty much starting from zero so I may be ready to go out with other riders in a few weeks so watch this space.