Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How to Ride Better

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How to Ride Better

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-13, 07:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Yes, as one ages, one has to simply ride and train smarter, sometimes to get faster, sometimes to stay even, sometimes just not to drop off so fast. Sometimes harder is an option, but many times it is not. Smarter is always an option. Sometimes losing weight can be helpful, but many of us are already at our optimum cycling weight. I still have about 6 lbs. to lose to get back to my 25 y.o. climbing weight. I'm gonna do it.

UnitedHealthCare is my Advantage provider. They have an article in their recent magazine titled "The Joys of Reinvention," featuring Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Most of us go through that. I've done a tiny bit of that by starting to ride again, then moving to tandem riding and backcountry skiing, all new to me.
Old 11-10-13, 10:24 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
To ride better:

Ride Lots
Ride harder sometimes
Eat less and avoid stupid foods.... these are pretty well known
Old 11-10-13, 10:43 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Fat Skinny: I'd heard that term but didn't really understand it until I did some time drawing blood in a Lab. Amazing the number of people who looked really good visually but were really more fat and flab than anything else. People who really looked slim and trim but not only couldn't do much exercise had difficulty walking the length of a box store without taking a break. Alll were within weight limits but were not fit under any definition.

The military struggles with how to define fitness but does a pretty good job of it. They use weight as one metric but overall performance as the deciding factor.

Easy??? Especially in today's society obtaining and maintaining fitness is NOT easy for most people. They not only have to understand and work with their bodies. They have to withstand pressures from society to conform to "norms" that have more to do with industry and profit than they do with health and fitness. Not easy, but worth every effort.

Relationship to better cycling? Think of it this way. Fitness, weight is one measure, is the house. Better technique coming from more practice is the interior trim. Important but not worth much unless built on a good foundation and structure.