Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Strava--what device do you use?
Smartphone.
21.90%
Garmin, etc.
58.10%
Strava? What's Strava?
1.90%
Strava, I don't need on stinkin' Strava!
17.14%
Lord help me! Another poll.
0.95%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Strava

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-14, 04:53 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
GPS v mobile phone accuracy - no contest.
"Most cell phone GPS tracking solutions utilize cell towers to determine location. This means you know which cell phone tower your employee is closest to, but you employee could actually be hundreds of feet or even miles away Even those that use triangulation services can't provide complete accuracy."

How old is that article? This hasn't been true for years.

-mr. bill
Old 01-02-14, 05:49 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
"Most cell phone GPS tracking solutions utilize cell towers to determine location. This means you know which cell phone tower your employee is closest to, but you employee could actually be hundreds of feet or even miles away Even those that use triangulation services can't provide complete accuracy."

How old is that article? This hasn't been true for years.

-mr. bill
Copyright © 2007-2014. Resource Nation, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

That article is basically an advertisement for a fleet vehicle tracking system.
And again, it doesn't mention anything about altitude data.
Old 01-02-14, 05:53 PM
lesscan

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix 3.0 - Fuji Finest 1.1 - Scattante CX350 - Schwinn POS MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Runtastic Road Bike. All the same features I want as Strava, but its free or $4.99 for the Pro version.
Old 01-02-14, 07:17 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I started with iPhone but bought a garmin 510 and am pleased with the choice.
My iPhone 3gs battery life was short and I can't read it in sunlight so I needed another computer anyhow.
The iPhone shuts off at temps 105+. It does better turned off in a jersey pocket where it is out of the sun.
I had to put an external battery and a cable into a ziplock bag with the iPhone to get through a 35 mile ride when running a GPS app.
My iPhone is in a otter case that prevents me from using an Ant interface and it doesn't have bluetooth. So I couldn't integrate heartrate data or cadence, nor power if I choose to buy a powermeter.
I also used to accidentally discard rides with the iPhone strava app. There was a delay after touching the save/upload hotspot and I would accidentally tap it a second time which deleted the data. No problems with that on the garmin.
I do miss the ability to immediately upload data post-ride, and the need to use a computer and USB connection.
Old 01-02-14, 08:10 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by az_cyclist
Doubles are challenging, Jerry. I have finished the Grand Tour (Lowland) 3 times, and Hemet once. I bonked at 170 miles of the spring Solvang Double though.
I actually met azcyclist on the Hemet Double last year! I have finished 60 doubles and DNF'd on 4.

Much more fun with Garmin and Strava, at least for me.

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-03-14, 07:59 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
I actually met azcyclist on the Hemet Double last year! I have finished 60 doubles and DNF'd on 4.

Much more fun with Garmin and Strava, at least for me.

Rick / OCRR
It was a pleasure to meet you Rick, and one of the guys I was riding with knew Isabelle too. I agree, Rick, that tracking rides on Garmin and Strava is much more fun. My challenge now is to create my own database (in Excel or Access) using the csv you can download from Garmin Connect.
Old 01-03-14, 10:21 AM
johnpitts01

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More than just logging my rides I'd like a training tool to analyze my effort and measure my (hoped for) performance gains.
Currently reading one of Joe Friel's training books and considering using Training Peaks as the training tool.

Anyone have any opinions about Strava v Training Peaks v Map My Fitness as a training tool?
Old 01-04-14, 02:45 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I'm still using a manual toothbrush.
Old 01-04-14, 02:58 PM
zvez

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace,2014 Specialized S-Works Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting, my samsung galaxy, I just did a metric century on new years day and hardly and my battery was not even a third used. DO you have other programs, bluetooth, etc running in the background to drain the battery?

Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Even the entry level Garmin (Garmin200) lasts long enough for a double century. Where I ride a smartphone will only sometimes just barely make ti through a metric century, sometimes not even that. I now use a Gamin 510 with my smartphone linked to it. There are some nice features with this setup and long battery life for both devices. An added bonus is I still have a phone when or if I need a phone.
Old 01-04-14, 03:03 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I tried Strava with my iPad while commuting this year, but have since bought a Garmin FR110 watch. I still use Strava for results. The watch was supposed to be for my wife's running, but since we frequently go out at the same time she always lets me take it on the bike. I don't need no stinkin' maps, although I wish I had an altimeter. The Strava results are spotty on elevation sometimes.
Old 01-04-14, 07:16 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by zvez
Interesting, my samsung galaxy, I just did a metric century on new years day and hardly and my battery was not even a third used. DO you have other programs, bluetooth, etc running in the background to drain the battery?
I have tried both an HTC phone, not sure what model and my iPhone 3gs. Granted newer tech phones have better battery life however they also come with a steep price tag. My phones cost me nothing up front, just a two year extension and my cell rates are somewhat competitive considering the free phone. Where I live and ride is very rural and low density population. The phone is often using battery power searching for a signal and the gps based apps also suck battery power. Runkeeper, MapMyRide and Strava all impact battery life about the same. When i used my phone to track rides I had nothing running in the background, just the phone and the cycling app. I was having problems with apps crashing with the HTC so I "upgraded" to the iPhone, only to experience the same app errors. If anything the HTC had a better battery.

My point is I've used both and for me Garmin has much better battery life. It also if you buy the mid level or higher has other valuable add ons such as HRM and speed/cadence. I works for me. I'm glad your phone works for you.
Old 01-04-14, 07:23 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
We dunt needs no stinking strava. I still carry a folding map in a plastic bag. It goes with the territory of a Luddite.
Old 01-04-14, 08:45 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I use my iPhone but I can't stand the Strava app and use Cyclemeter instead. I find it to be much more programmable with settings and options that Strava doesn't even come close to having. Using Cyclemeter, I can do a century and still have over 60% of my battery life at the end of the ride. I also like the fact that it displays the route map on the main screen and moving from screen to screen (11 of them) is just a swipe of the finger and not a menu or button choice. It can also display all the information that Garmin and Strava display on their web site. It will also send me and others an email at the end of my ride that contains my stats and a link to web site. If you have an iPhone 4s or 5, it has real time tracking so that anyone you have set up can follow you on your ride on another device or PC, which I don't think that Strava can do. And there's much more ......

As for the accuracy of the GPS unit in a phone vs a Garmin, I can tell you that there is a lot of misconception in this area. I did a lot of GPS based software development for an engineering company that contracted to FEMA. The software we developed had to be extremely accurate for what we were doing. The primary device was a Symbol handheld computer connected to external GPS units via BlueTooth. We tried several external GPS units and found that the accuracy between them was miniscule and that included the Garmin external receiver that we ended up using. Where the difference that you actually notice comes into play is: 1) the number and location of satellites whose signal the device is receiving, 2) the way the development software converts the binary data sent by the satellites, 3) the way the programmer parses the converted data sent from the GPS receiver, 4) the way the device's CPU handles the floating point numbers parsed by the programmer. BTW, the only reason we ended up using the Garmin receivers is because they were the only ones with a magnetic base that could be attached on a metal plate mounted to a hardhat. The larger the GPS receive, the more accurate it is (and more expensive). For what you get in a Garmin cyclometer vs a smart phone, you're not going to see large differences, if any.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-04-14, 09:03 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
I use my iPhone but I can't stand the Strava app and use Cyclemeter instead. I find it to be much more programmable with settings and options that Strava doesn't even come close to having. Using Cyclemeter, I can do a century and still have over 60% of my battery life at the end of the ride. I also like the fact that it displays the route map on the main screen and moving from screen to screen (11 of them) is just a swipe of the finger and not a menu or button choice. It can also display all the information that Garmin and Strava display on their web site. It will also send me and others an email at the end of my ride that contains my stats and a link to web site. If you have an iPhone 4s or 5, it has real time tracking so that anyone you have set up can follow you on your ride on another device or PC, which I don't think that Strava can do. And there's much more ......

As for the accuracy of the GPS unit in a phone vs a Garmin, I can tell you that there is a lot of misconception in this area. I did a lot of GPS based software development for an engineering company that contracted to FEMA. The software we developed had to be extremely accurate for what we were doing. The primary device was a Symbol handheld computer connected to external GPS units via BlueTooth. We tried several external GPS units and found that the accuracy between them was miniscule and that included the Garmin external receiver that we ended up using. Where the difference that you actually notice comes into play is: 1) the number and location of satellites whose signal the device is receiving, 2) the way the development software converts the binary data sent by the satellites, 3) the way the programmer parses the converted data sent from the GPS receiver, 4) the way the device's CPU handles the floating point numbers parsed by the programmer. BTW, the only reason we ended up using the Garmin receivers is because they were the only ones with a magnetic base that could be attached on a metal plate mounted to a hardhat. The larger the GPS receive, the more accurate it is (and more expensive). For what you get in a Garmin cyclometer vs a smart phone, you're not going to see large differences, if any.
Which one is more social, STRAVA or Cyclometer?
Old 01-07-14, 11:02 AM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
I just recently started using Strava. I have used a Garmin Edge 705 for several years after I kept getting lost in the Texas Hill country. I have been using Garmin Connect and when I went on Strava it downloaded a couple years data from my edge. I like it as a training tool as I look at where other 65+ riders are on segments I ride. I follow some that are a little better on most segments and try to beat them. It forces me to put in a higher effort and I am riding more to increase my fitness.
Old 01-07-14, 08:42 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
Garmin.. Upload to strava.. Save phone battery
This. Plus, I think Garmin gives more complete data.
Old 01-08-14, 09:21 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I only use the Strava phone app for run workouts and rides on my Trek 1500 (no mount nor is that bike setup on my Garmin 500)