Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Beginner needing a straight answer on a pedal situation. ;/

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 06:58 PM
Furcifer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Excuse my ignorance, but I need an answer.

So, Ive only used flat pedals that do not attach to your shoe in the past, coming from a primarily bmx riding background.

Long story short, Ive been working my way into road biking, and have purchased the pictured bicycle, which I love.

Said bicycle came with these exact pedals: Product Description | Origin8

Needless to say, its not very fun riding the bicycle without proper footwear. So I go to the LBS (the one I hate, but its on the way home, and generally has more stock) after work today. Guy tells me that the pedals are outdated, and they no longer carry shoes for such a thing. So Im looking at their stock of pedals contemplating an upgrade, and they are selling pedals that look just like mine! Guy was acting funny, so I just left and decided to do more research at home. Thus my question to you: What shoes should I be looking at to use my existing pedals? If I have to upgrade, what do you recommend I look at getting as a beginner? Is there anything Im missing out on here? Im finding it confusing looking at all the different types and varieties, and trying to make sense of it all. I need a friend on this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_00000742.jpg (102.2 KB, 88 views)
Old 08-05-14, 07:03 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
You need road shoes with 3 holes and look keo or keo compatible cleats. Both are readily available.
Old 08-05-14, 07:16 PM
Furcifer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you datlas, that is quite helpful.
Old 08-05-14, 07:24 PM
bgrider

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those look like shimano spd-sl cleats to my untrained eye. They are not obsolete. If in fact they are spd-sl pedals you need shoes that will accept spd-sl cleats (shoes will have three holes.) I not that another responder says Look cleats/shoes - he may be correct. There will be a name on the pedal.....
Old 08-05-14, 07:30 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
The shoes have screw holes in the sole, and cleats that go with the pedals are attached.

Pedals bought new come with cleats, and replacement cleats are available for the several styles.

Road shoes have three or four holes, mountain shoes have two, the styles are not very compatible.

Generally, any road shoes will take the cleats that go with those pedals, so it's two things-

Getting some shoes, and getting the right cleats. Cheap shoes tend to be uncomfortable.
Old 08-05-14, 07:31 PM
NWS Alpine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The guy at the shop was wrong. They are standard look KEO style pedals. Any 3 hole road shoe is what you need. The type of pattern is the middle shoe.

Theses are the cleats (grey 4.5* float, red is 9* float, and black is 0* float)
Old 08-05-14, 07:36 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
From what I can see, they look like standard Shimano pedals. Shoes and pedals are like anything else, you have to experiment and find what you like. Most road shoes are all three hole and accept cleats for road pedals, so make sure you have a road shoe and get a Shimano cleat and they should work with these pedals. If the pedals are old and don't turn freely, then it's time to get some new pedals anyway. Sidi shoes are a little narrow. Others are wider. Some feel great and some hurt like heck. You get what you pay for. Specialized has different insoles that change the angle of your foot. I had to go with new shoes and orthopedic inserts to find a pair that didn't hurt. MTB shoes have more flexibility in the sole and use a different pedal, so make sure whatever shoe you get matches the design for the pedal. Get something good that fits you well and you'll love clipless pedals in no time, just start out in a park so you'll fall on soft grass. Practice ALOT clipping in and out so it becomes second nature. Learn to unclip well before your stop so you won't fall.
Old 08-05-14, 07:38 PM
Furcifer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amazing, so simple...

Thanks guys, should have asked last night. Will be stopping at my favorite LBS tomorrow.
Old 08-05-14, 07:38 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Origin 8 page that you linked to says that your pedals are Look Keo compatible. You need the three hole shoe as NWS Alpine noted and these (or compatible) cleats.

Cleats come with pedals, if you didn't get any you will need to buy them. Shoes don't include cleats.
Old 08-05-14, 08:58 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
The Origin 8 page that you linked to says that your pedals are Look Keo compatible.
+1 I'm reading the responses that call for Shimano SPD cleats, laughing hard.
Old 08-05-14, 09:46 PM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
The Origin 8 page that you linked to says that your pedals are Look Keo compatible. You need the three hole shoe as NWS Alpine noted and these (or compatible) cleats.

Cleats come with pedals, if you didn't get any you will need to buy them. Shoes don't include cleats.
Originally Posted by Furcifer
Amazing, so simple...

Thanks guys, should have asked last night. Will be stopping at my favorite LBS tomorrow.

I have 2 or 3 sets of look keo pedals I am not using (got in a bundle deal w/a craigslist guy). I have shimano pedals and cant use them. You pay shipping you can have them, they are brand new.