Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gaining 4mph Without Fitness

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Gaining 4mph Without Fitness

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-19, 07:37 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
The Bontrager aluminum TLR wheels weigh a lot. I traded
them out for Aeolus 3 wheels and my Domane felt a lot lighter.
Yeah, the stock wheels on my Domane are heavy, too. I think that they ones he (the poster that you quoted) was referring to are actually aluminum wheels with carbon fairings; they're standard on a few of their bikes and I don't imaging that they're terribly light.
Old 08-05-19, 11:09 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
I just turn on the Strava app while driving my car. Now I'm super-fast.
Old 08-05-19, 11:17 AM
myisland

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'm allergic to carbon. Instead I leave a few minutes early.
Old 08-05-19, 11:35 AM
jpdemers

Bikes: '78 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, on nicer wheels.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
Is it safe to say that having two lumbar discectomies added 4 mph to my average speed?
Makes you more rigid, for better power transfer and better aero. OP should try this.

[OP was yanking chains, for them that are slow on the uptake.]
Old 08-05-19, 11:37 AM
Leadrunner

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Diverge Elite A1, 2013 KHS Flite, 1998 Trek 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
This is great advice. I'll add you can buy the roading company and get them to put smoother asphalt on your favourite routes. That should run you $30-40million but worth 1mph so why wouldn't you?
Awesome idea. I am all in on that. I just happen to have several million just laying around. Oh, wait, you're kidding, right?
Old 08-05-19, 11:48 AM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Debo3osu
Boom, there you have it. Those last items add 1mph for a total gain of 4mph. I was averaging 19mph easy and 20mph when I really got after it.
Wow, this has to be a troll. All that money and he can only do 20mph? I guess it's the bike that's slowing him down, he needs to spend more.

So there you have it. 3 years ago I’m a 40 year old golfer that thought biking was for losers, now I’m at the front of grand fondos.
I wonder where he rides Gran Fondo's? I'd love to go somewhere that my 48-year old *ss riding a five-year-old aluminum Cannondale could be winning them, if he's at the front doing 20.
Old 08-05-19, 11:54 AM
wle

Bikes: road: 1999 GT road:40Kmi+ // 2001 fuji finest AL:9Kmi+//1991 schwinn paramount ODG:0.1Kmi+

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup

Sometimes it's not about finishing first.

it;s better to look fast, than to be fast..

wle
Old 08-05-19, 11:55 AM
wle

Bikes: road: 1999 GT road:40Kmi+ // 2001 fuji finest AL:9Kmi+//1991 schwinn paramount ODG:0.1Kmi+

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by myisland
i'm allergic to carbon. Instead i leave a few minutes early.
ha ha ha ha ha
Old 08-05-19, 11:59 AM
Happy F

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see a lot of people asking how to make their bike faster and everyone’s response is always “get more fit” or “be more aero.” That’s great and all, but my fitness hasn’t changed much but I’m 4mph faster on average. How? Hint: It will take $ but can be done.

Background: Got into road cycling 3 years ago for a charity ride, bought a cheap aluminum Motobecane junker with aluminum spd pedals. Felt like it weighed 30 pounds. Averaged 15mph on a good day and 16mph if I really pushed it.

After my wife finished several minutes ahead of me on her ultralight S-Works I decided that would never happen again.

Step 1: Get a carbon bike. Any carbon bike will add 1mph simply because it is lighter and has better power transfer.

So you can gain ~1mph just by getting any carbon bike.

Step 2. Don’t get just any carbon bike. Get a NICE carbon bike. Lightweight. Aero. Great components. Carbon wheels. These will run you $5-10k. I got the Canyon Endurace SLX 9 with SRAM Red eTap. Definitely wasn’t cheap, but added another 1mph because of further weight reduction and better components.

So far I’ve added ~2mph simply by spending money. This is a much better solution than getting fit.

Step 3: Replace anything that isn’t carbon with carbon. This includes seatpost, stem, bar, saddle, cranks and pedals. I only had to change a few things as the Canyon was already set up pretty well. I got the Specialized Power Pro carbon saddle with titanium rails (Canyon setup wouldn’t take larger carbon rails), carbon cages, and Dura Ace pedals. Again, the carbon not only reduces weight but also reduces vibration and increases rider comfort and power transfer.

Step 4: Get lightweight carbon shoes with SPD-SL red clips (0 degrees of motion) that fit correctly and have them set up professionally to ensure maximum power transfer (carbon on carbon) and no knee injuries.

Steps 3 and 4 added about 0.5mph.

Step 5: Get a complete proper fitting. You may want to do this before buying new bars, stem, etc. I had to get a new Canyon aerobar to fit me properly. Also make sure you have the right saddle width. The right setup will increase your power transfer and reduce injury.

Step 6: Improve your technique (independent of fitness). Get a power meter, cadence meter and speed meter and integrate with Garmin Edge. Read articles about technique and use these tools to improve.

Steps 5 and 6 add another 0.5mph. We’re now at a 3mph improvement.

Step 7: Get fast tires. Specifically, focus on rolling resistance but also factor in puncture resistance so that you have confidence at speed. Tubes or tubeless, your choice. I like tubes and run 50g Conti butyl tubes with Conti 5000 tires. Can’t go wrong. The Specialized Cotton Turbo is also a good choice. Go wide (25-28) and keep at the ideal psi (plenty of articles out there based on your tire).

Step 8: Adjust your brake levers. You’ll have a lot more confidence during high-speed descents if the levers are at your fingertips. If you can’t figure it out take it to your LBS.

Step 9: Keep your bike clean, especially the chain and gears. Plenty of good stuff out there, I like Park Tool’s cleaner. Clean chains = fast bike.

Step 10: Get aero. Wind resistance is your biggest enemy at speed. In addition to getting an aero bike, get form-fitting jerseys and shorts (I’m a huge fan of Pearl Pros), a light aero helmet, aero gloves, and socks. Learn to get in an aero position during sprints/descents. If you really want to get crazy and shave your body, go for it. Get rid of that bulky seat post bag and only carry what you need. I use Specialized’s integrated SWAT Road Bandit tube holder. Saves weight and lost energy through things jostling. Get light bottles and only carry them if you need them.

Boom, there you have it. Those last items add 1mph for a total gain of 4mph. I was averaging 19mph easy and 20mph when I really got after it. And that is solo. Plus, it made me love riding so much that I’ve also improved fitness and have added an extra 1-2mph. Now I blow by the clowns in the peloton with their dumb time trial bikes and helmets and matching jerseys. Yeah, my endurance bike just spit gravel in your face. My wife won’t even ride with me anymore because I’m miles ahead in a matter of minutes.

So there you have it. 3 years ago I’m a 40 year old golfer that thought biking was for losers, now I’m at the front of grand fondos.

Can’t afford all this stuff? Not my problem. Stop wasting time doing nonsense and do something with yourself so that you can buy nice things on a whim. Or just work on your fitness I guess.
Save your money.Technique Posture and practice. You hit the brakes going through corners? Do you have to accelerate back out.? Are you fast on a downhill? Understanding of center of mass on the bike? These are but a few of the questions that you need to answer to make yourself faster good posture means good airway you can increase volume by 500 ML's 2 1000 ML's. Posture also means improved airway. Core strength, mobility to access your glutes.
This is how you get faster
Old 08-05-19, 12:00 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Just because he lives under a bridge doesn't make it his.
Old 08-05-19, 12:02 PM
db9091

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this was forgotten:

x) Ride in a Peloton (

Other than that, it's mostly your body's condition, especially VO2.
It would be more useful to practice swimming under water on one breath than making the bike any lighter.
Old 08-05-19, 12:03 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks, interesting info. You have broken everything down and arrived at facts. Very cool!

I bought a mid high range bike, Devinci Millenium, in 2000 after years of low to midrange bikes. I love that bike. Nice gear on it. After all of these years and only once into the shop for a refit 2015, the shifters etc all work perfect with virtually no fiddling even before I got it serviced. It didn't really need service as I do my own work, but decided to spend a few bucks to have it done at Mountain Equipment Co-op, Vancouver and they did a great job. I bought Gator Skin tires (very tiring) after I fixed a gazillion flats after walking home practically carrying the bike.

I broke a spoke attachment on my Cosmic Elite wheel taking it down from ceiling hooks last year, and due to the cost of parts I fixed it with a washer. LOL.

It's my transportation most of the time, because I can. I live in a small town and I use my Rav4 to pick up groceries and lumber, but the bike for the rest. My wife has a Pinarello (which weighs less than a pound of feathers), but mine goes further on a downhill roll with either one of us riding. I have incredible shoes: Sidi Hi-Tech which feel amazing, but I chose not to use them as I drive in traffic and am concerned about dismounting them. I'm 66 revolutions around the sun.

I rarely clean the bike and like the scratches as shiny bikes get stolen.

I used to buy junk and then get frustrated and then buy what I really wanted, until my wife cornered me one day and said to me "Look, what do you really want to buy??? because you may as well buy it now and get it over with, rather than buying the junk and wasting time and money on it."

Of course she is right and I got the Hobie Tiger brand new.

I see PPL with mountain bikes and know they are getting a much more vigorous workout. I like the workout, but I don't love it. I want to arrive at my destination not sweating.

I see some riding you hard for spending so much dough, but I say if it turns your crank go for it. My experience is that PPL who ride others hard are just weinies who talk tough online. It doesn't add to the conversation and mostly it's not humorous. If someone says something funny, great, but ease up on the teenage garbage.

One website I used to go to, you had to write a cheque for 5 dollars to join or pay by credit card., and your real name was your online name. The best PPL in that musical instrument world posted there, because if you were a jerk, you got the boot and that was final, because your cheque or credit card had your name on it, so you were forever banned and that made PPL think twice before stepping over the line and saying something unworthy. You could get advice from the creme de la creme of the best pros in the world there. Amazing gentlemanly and ladylike place for discussion. Jerk-free. There is nothing more annoying than trying to find something useful in a string of posts only to be disappointed.

BTW I like most of the posts here and have gotten lots of good info and advice and thanks the owner and Mods.

The only thing I was wondering about is the "power meter".

Thanks!

Last edited by alanf; 08-05-19 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-05-19, 12:04 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
My favorite was the description of TT bikes in the peloton...
Likes For ksryder:
Old 08-05-19, 12:04 PM
fabiusfarmrider

Bikes: Cannondale R800

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What did the riders of old do when there was no carbon to be had? ...ride more
Old 08-05-19, 12:13 PM
ADSPRU
A. A. Ron

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I see a lot of people asking how to make their bike faster and everyone’s response is always “get more fit” or “be more aero.” That’s great and all, but my fitness hasn’t changed much but I’m 4mph faster on average. How? Hint: It will take $ but can be done.

Background: Got into road cycling 3 years ago for a charity ride, bought a cheap aluminum Motobecane junker with aluminum spd pedals. Felt like it weighed 30 pounds. Averaged 15mph on a good day and 16mph if I really pushed it.

After my wife finished several minutes ahead of me on her ultralight S-Works I decided that would never happen again.

Step 1: Get a carbon bike. Any carbon bike will add 1mph simply because it is lighter and has better power transfer.

So you can gain ~1mph just by getting any carbon bike.

Step 2. Don’t get just any carbon bike. Get a NICE carbon bike. Lightweight. Aero. Great components. Carbon wheels. These will run you $5-10k. I got the Canyon Endurace SLX 9 with SRAM Red eTap. Definitely wasn’t cheap, but added another 1mph because of further weight reduction and better components.

So far I’ve added ~2mph simply by spending money. This is a much better solution than getting fit.

Step 3: Replace anything that isn’t carbon with carbon. This includes seatpost, stem, bar, saddle, cranks and pedals. I only had to change a few things as the Canyon was already set up pretty well. I got the Specialized Power Pro carbon saddle with titanium rails (Canyon setup wouldn’t take larger carbon rails), carbon cages, and Dura Ace pedals. Again, the carbon not only reduces weight but also reduces vibration and increases rider comfort and power transfer.

Step 4: Get lightweight carbon shoes with SPD-SL red clips (0 degrees of motion) that fit correctly and have them set up professionally to ensure maximum power transfer (carbon on carbon) and no knee injuries.

Steps 3 and 4 added about 0.5mph.

Step 5: Get a complete proper fitting. You may want to do this before buying new bars, stem, etc. I had to get a new Canyon aerobar to fit me properly. Also make sure you have the right saddle width. The right setup will increase your power transfer and reduce injury.

Step 6: Improve your technique (independent of fitness). Get a power meter, cadence meter and speed meter and integrate with Garmin Edge. Read articles about technique and use these tools to improve.

Steps 5 and 6 add another 0.5mph. We’re now at a 3mph improvement.

Step 7: Get fast tires. Specifically, focus on rolling resistance but also factor in puncture resistance so that you have confidence at speed. Tubes or tubeless, your choice. I like tubes and run 50g Conti butyl tubes with Conti 5000 tires. Can’t go wrong. The Specialized Cotton Turbo is also a good choice. Go wide (25-28) and keep at the ideal psi (plenty of articles out there based on your tire).

Step 8: Adjust your brake levers. You’ll have a lot more confidence during high-speed descents if the levers are at your fingertips. If you can’t figure it out take it to your LBS.

Step 9: Keep your bike clean, especially the chain and gears. Plenty of good stuff out there, I like Park Tool’s cleaner. Clean chains = fast bike.

Step 10: Get aero. Wind resistance is your biggest enemy at speed. In addition to getting an aero bike, get form-fitting jerseys and shorts (I’m a huge fan of Pearl Pros), a light aero helmet, aero gloves, and socks. Learn to get in an aero position during sprints/descents. If you really want to get crazy and shave your body, go for it. Get rid of that bulky seat post bag and only carry what you need. I use Specialized’s integrated SWAT Road Bandit tube holder. Saves weight and lost energy through things jostling. Get light bottles and only carry them if you need them.

Boom, there you have it. Those last items add 1mph for a total gain of 4mph. I was averaging 19mph easy and 20mph when I really got after it. And that is solo. Plus, it made me love riding so much that I’ve also improved fitness and have added an extra 1-2mph. Now I blow by the clowns in the peloton with their dumb time trial bikes and helmets and matching jerseys. Yeah, my endurance bike just spit gravel in your face. My wife won’t even ride with me anymore because I’m miles ahead in a matter of minutes.

Can’t afford all this stuff? Not my problem. Stop wasting time doing nonsense and do something with yourself so that you can buy nice things on a whim. Or just work on your fitness I guess.
Just did everything he posted. I should now be in the 23-24 avg... This is great. Thanks to amazon I should have everything tomorrow. I'll report back on my results
Likes For ADSPRU:
Old 08-05-19, 12:38 PM
SwtBadger

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I can validate the OP with some anecdotal data from last week. Unfortunately my Road bike was out of action and road my Mountain bike on pavement instead.

Strava indicates that I road 17.0 mph with 21 ft of elevation gain for 33.7 miles. Was averaging 19-21 mph on the Road bike under similar conditions per Strava. Effort was about the same it seemed.

Therefore between a heavy old Mtn bike with lightly knobbed tires and my Carbon BMC SLR02 with 55mm deep Heds that there was a 2-4 mph difference.

I'm on the side of the OP

Actually was shocked when I saw the difference - expected more. Perhaps put out a wee bit more power on the Mtn Bike as knew my brother was 5 minutes behind me on his gravel bike.
Old 08-05-19, 12:49 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by SwtBadger
with 21 ft of elevation gain for 33.7 miles.
This is the most remarkable thing that I've read in this thread.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-05-19, 12:57 PM
SwtBadger

Bikes: 2015 BMC SLR02; 2004 Bianchi Veloce; 2000 Gary Fischer Big Sur

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
This is the most remarkable thing that I've read in this thread.
Whoops per mile...… 21 feet per mile.

Not too far from where you reside btw.
Old 08-05-19, 01:55 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
One can be faster without fitness and for free by always riding in the direction of wind only.
Old 08-05-19, 03:12 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by SwtBadger
Whoops per mile...… 21 feet per mile.

Not too far from where you reside btw.
Oh. I thought that you lived on a rather large billiards table.
Old 08-05-19, 03:13 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
If I ride in the direction of the Earth's rotation I gain approximately 1000 miles per hour in speed!

Approximately....
Old 08-05-19, 03:17 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
I knew the flat-earthers were right!
Old 08-05-19, 03:58 PM
drbarney1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
I am not competitive enough to do all those things for a minuscule gain in speed because I use my bike to go to appointments and get groceries in town to save on car use whenever I can and to augment my amateur - and I emphasize amateur - bodybuilding which may not win first place (second place for men over 50) and the medical safety such a way of life offers me from some nasty diseases.
Old 08-05-19, 04:09 PM
scottz123

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now I blow by the clowns in the peloton with their dumb time trial bikes and helmets and matching jerseys. Yeah, my endurance bike just spit gravel in your face. My wife won’t even ride with me anymore because I’m miles ahead in a matter of minutes.

It's just an idea.

It might not be that you are so fast.

But because *No One* wants to ride with you because you are not a nice person.

I am wording this as nicely as I can based on the above statements you made.
Old 08-05-19, 05:54 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I am just impressed that the OP has got 174 responses out of his first and only troll/post.
Is that a record?
He didn't even have to feed it along the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.