Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling and smoking

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling and smoking

Old 10-18-19, 11:57 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I quit when I got custody of my son, the summer before he started high school. He was an aspiring athlete, and I didn't want him to see me being an advocate of smoking. I haven't smoked since, and more importantly, he hasn't. That was 15 years ago.
Old 10-18-19, 12:52 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts

Bring it on......sissies....
Old 10-18-19, 02:25 PM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
For what it's worth........When I started riding 3 years ago, my first group rides had a mysterious stranger.......a very fit middle aged man. Found out he was an ex pro racer. In our B group he would simple asked what pace the group wanted and pulled all the time. It usually started to become an A group at 20, 21 mph so a gentle reminder was sent up to him. Just a "recovery" ride for him. Now it was only a B group but after awhile he would simply take off and leave us like we were standing still. For the nubie comeback rider (me) it was something to behold. I was really in awe at the guys power without what seemed to be very little effort. We eventually caught up to him. At that point he was stopped waiting for us on his second cigarette! Could not comprehend how he could ride like he did and smoke.
Fast forward to this year at a group event. Ran into him again. The man could not keep up with a relaxed 15MPH group. He was stuggling to hang unto my wheel. I asked about him and was told he rides less and less and smokes more and more. At stops he would arrive huffing looking bad but lighting up. So sad to see and yes I do understand it is an addiction (my Mom) but PLEASE get help and quit. Think about it this way, a pack a day smoker can afford ANY bike he wants by giving up the habit! And for those well off enough to afford both ....the cost of smoking would make a great donation to a deserving charity.
Old 10-18-19, 02:31 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Congratulations on kicking the habit. It's been many years since I stopped but I do remember how hard it can be.
Old 10-18-19, 04:41 PM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Still laughing about the time I took my no-exercise but just naturally very strong buddy for his first cross-country ski outing. He innocently lit a big cigar as if this was the normal thing to do when skiing. Off we went... Not too far down the trail, he had a coughing fit from inhaling the cigar smoke. Looked at the cigar as if surprised & puzzled, tossed it into the snow.
Old 10-18-19, 05:12 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
I started smoking when I was 12 and by 16 was up to a pack a day and have been ever since. I’m 38 now and started cycling as an adult about 5 years ago and still haven’t quit cigarettes, but I’ve tried many times. The irony of being a smoker and cyclist doesn’t bother me. I would rather quit but my spouse also smokes and has little desire to quit. Hard to quit by yourself. I’m sure as hell not going to quit riding just because I haven’t quit smoking.

Edit: I’m not an athlete and never was, but my fitness has increased somewhat since I started cycling despite my tobacco use remaining the same. I’m

Last edited by Phamilton; 10-18-19 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-18-19, 06:14 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
When I was a kid my siblings and I worked for our parents. No pay. 'If you don't like it then leave' was the answer to that! So... to have some kind of income, among other things, I would work elsewhere once my chores were done. I would haul hay, cut brush, milk cows (electric milkers but you still had to clean and prep machines and clean barn, etc.) and work tobacco. It was good pay for a kid. I've set it, topped it, cut it, hung it and booked it but never did have any hankering to smoke, dip, snuff or chew. Plenty of friends did but cigarette smoke is just foul! However... tobacco smells great in the barn so whenever I see some in a barn I stop to look and smell. Mmmmmm! It sure is a tough addiction to quit so hang in there.
Old 10-20-19, 08:27 AM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
I smoked for 20 years, picked up the habit in college. I finally quit almost seven years ago, largely because it felt horrible hiding it from my children who were finally old enough to know better (than me). I quit cold turkey, basically just distracting myself with work and tv. I think I gained about 20 pounds. It took awhile, but I no longer think about it even nostalgically. And by picking up cycling and some other good habits, I’m in better shape at 45 than I was at 35.
Old 10-20-19, 09:55 AM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I smoked a pack a day for 23 years and there were periods that i went up to 3 packs. I quit a few times during this time for intervals of a few months but i went back to smoking. However, the last time i tried was almost 19 years ago and i've been smoke free since then. It usually takes a few tries to be successful and every smoker knows it's very difficult to quit but one should never stop trying.
Old 10-20-19, 03:53 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I was able to quit smoking by vaping. After quiting for 5 years I said time to start biking again. Pathetic at first but improving with every ride. After a little riding success I stopped vaping to. Now I just need to keep improving by riding more.
Old 10-20-19, 03:56 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
An old thread been dug up from the grave a year later ......

Giving up "the weed" about 11 years ago was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life x's 1000 ... seriously hard habit to kick so congrats to anyone else that does!!!
Old 10-21-19, 07:03 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Ald1
Think about it this way, a pack a day smoker can afford ANY bike he wants by giving up the habit!
I take it you don't smoke - have you been able to afford ANY bike you want?
Old 10-21-19, 07:34 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

People waste their money on all sorts of things they’d waste on cigarettes if they smoked. Lottery tickets, clearance aisle stuff, fast food, Starbucks, bike parts they don’t need and will never use, you name it.
We already know it’s bad for us, and we already know it’s a waste of money. We have already become marginalized socially. That’s something non-smokers would do well to keep in mind when trying to talk to smokers about smoking. We already get the abuse everywhere. The habit may as well be a skin color or religion.
Edit: for clarity, I’m describing the experience as a smoker in 2019 USA. I don’t know how smoking is treated elsewhere.

Last edited by Phamilton; 10-21-19 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 10-21-19, 08:05 AM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
I take it you don't smoke - have you been able to afford ANY bike you want?
Well I did smoke decades ago. And YES I can afford any bike I want. So what? What does that have to do with anything. Again read entire post. I lost friends and loved one's to smoking. Not judging. It's your business what you do. As pointing out the obvious, it's an addiction, it's proven to slowly kill people and I support and applaud anyone who quits and understand how hard it is to do this. Yes people spend a lot of money on what you might lable as "waste." That's your option. Mine is spending money that is PROVEN to slowly kill you is something I discourage. OK? BTW what does a pack cost these days? Someone told me in my state Pa. it's pushing $10.00. It that true?
Old 10-21-19, 08:16 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Good for you. I was just pointing out that this type of maths (if I stop spending 10$ on something every day, after a year I'll have $3650) rarely work that way in real life. I am not condoning smoking or any other unhealthy habits in any way though.
Old 10-21-19, 08:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
People waste their money on all sorts of things they’d waste on cigarettes if they smoked. Lottery tickets, clearance aisle stuff, fast food, Starbucks, bike parts they don’t need and will never use, you name it.
We already know it’s bad for us, and we already know it’s a waste of money. We have already become marginalized socially. That’s something non-smokers would do well to keep in mind when trying to talk to smokers about smoking. We already get the abuse everywhere. The habit may as well be a skin color or religion.
Edit: for clarity, I’m describing the experience as a smoker in 2019 USA. I don’t know how smoking is treated elsewhere.
I'm old enough to remember when the marginalization worked the other way--that you couldn't go many places in public if you couldn't or wouldn't tolerate other people's cigarette smoke in public indoor spaces. As someone who very rapidly will start to feel ill if I'm in a confined space with cigarette smoke, I welcome that sort of marginalization of smoking--that's a "your rights end at the end of my nose" kind of thing.

That said, I think that smoking is a lot like obesity--behavioral issues that impair the person physically, but for the most part not mentally. Having been morbidly obese at one time, I can say with absolute certainty that having people lecture me or shame me or insult me was absolutely of no help whatsoever in spurring me to successfully take and keep off the weight. Those people were not telling me anything I didn't think myself and, if anything, just made me want to say nasty things about them. Knowing a habit is irrational and destructive does not really help you figure out how to break it.

For me, it was only when I started to actually feel the start of years of debilitation and decline that would have inevitably followed if I continued the way I was going when I started doing the very hard work of restructuring my eating and activities.

BTW, anyone who feels an urge to talk an adult out of vaping or nicotine gum or patches, learn to MYOB. You can't know what their alternatives really are unless you're inside their head.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-21-19, 03:44 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Boxkite
cigarette smoke is just foul!
No argument here. When I have a migraine, my sense of smell becomes really acute and even mild smells become nearly unbearable. I've had a migraine or other bad headache when someone comes in smoking a cig, and the smell makes me totally nauseous. I'm not sure but I think cigarette smoke might trigger my migraines.
Old 10-21-19, 04:16 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
No argument here. When I have a migraine, my sense of smell becomes really acute and even mild smells become nearly unbearable. I've had a migraine or other bad headache when someone comes in smoking a cig, and the smell makes me totally nauseous. I'm not sure but I think cigarette smoke might trigger my migraines.
I wonder where you live that smoking is permitted in any public place. I’d be surprised if the laws aren’t more strict or at least equally as strict as here in the UK, if your username is your location. There’s no smoking inside any public place except for tobacco stores, and no smoking within 20 feet of the entrance of any public building, and many college and hospital campuses ban smoking from the entire campus property. Where are you that you aren’t protected from indoor smoking?

Last edited by Phamilton; 10-21-19 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-21-19, 04:24 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Body odor smell makes me nauseous but I’m not going to blame my migraines on other people’s bad hygiene.

Pass some laws about unwashed asses and armpits AND HANDS in public places.
Old 10-21-19, 04:29 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

I’ll quit smoking when you quit pissing all over the restroom at the grocery store.
Old 10-21-19, 04:34 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

I’d rather be the jerk smoking outside the restaurant who washes his hands after he smokes than the lady who left her crapped-in pants in the restroom.
Likes For Phamilton:
Old 10-21-19, 06:15 PM
Milton Keynes

I wonder where you live that smoking is permitted in any public place.
My automotive shop, when I have the overhead doors open during the summer some people assume that they can just walk in while smoking. I have to tell them to take it back outside. Even when they're standing outside smoking, the stench comes into the shop. I think I'm going to have to make the entire property non-smoking.
Old 10-21-19, 06:16 PM
Milton Keynes

Body odor smell makes me nauseous but I’m not going to blame my migraines on other people’s bad hygiene.

I’d rather be the jerk smoking outside the restaurant who washes his hands after he smokes than the lady who left her crapped-in pants in the restroom.
OK, we get it. There are other bad habits which are just as olfactorily offensive. That doesn't make smoking any better.
Old 10-21-19, 07:06 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
I recently saw my nephew, after maybe 10 years. Unbelievable.

I'm 59 and he's 53, but anybody looking at us would guess he's 65 and I'm 50. I don't think he could run 30 feet without stopping to wheeze for 5 minutes, then have a smoke to calm him down.

Good on you for quitting.
Old 10-22-19, 04:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts

If you keep it outside, I don't care if you set your entire head on fire, but if I'm in an indoor space with a cigarette, I'm going to have several hours to a day of respiratory problems. I don't think I'm even slightly unusual in that regard.

This isn't just a matter of unpleasant smells, smoke is an irritant in the medical sense. I have no such issues being around vaping.

Washing hands is also a public health issue, but good luck figuring out how to enforce that one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.