Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Tyres - weekday commute, weekend mixed terrain/ touring

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-19, 10:45 AM
knoxy26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey,

I'm looking for some tyres that I can use in the week for my commute but could hold up to some light gravel/ mixed terrain at the weekends.

I don’t have tubeless ready rims but considering getting some hunts.

I was wondering what you guys would recommend. - main attributes I’m looking for are puncture resistance, not too slow and ability to hit some light gravel at the weekends.

Im in London (UK) so the tyre will mostly be dealing with city roads.

I have a CAADX and think that I can go up to about 35/ 40mm.

currently running marathon plus- which is great for puncture resistance but not able to handle any gravel.

thanks

M
Old 12-27-19, 10:17 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
If you'll pardon the question, why won't the Marathon Plus handle gravel? I'd have thought it would punch all the tickets except perhaps the reasonable rolling resistance.

I would have suggested Panaracer Paselas, but they're lighter than your Marathons and, though unlikely to puncture, more susceptible than the Marathons.

If you're riding narrower tires/tyres, have you considered getting a set of Marathons in 35-38 width?
Old 12-27-19, 10:33 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Panaracer Gravel King
Old 01-04-20, 12:18 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Continental Contact Travels have been great multi surface tires for me. They run narrow. 42's may fit w/o issues.
Old 01-04-20, 12:53 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Maxxis Minion DHR II Mega Exo

real answer: buy a tire for your real city life and tolerate it on the could-maybe weekends. Or another wheelset, or another bike.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-04-20 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-04-20, 06:41 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
If you'll pardon the question, why won't the Marathon Plus handle gravel? I'd have thought it would punch all the tickets except perhaps the reasonable rolling resistance.
This ^^
Old 01-04-20, 09:28 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by knoxy26
... tyres that I can use in the week for my commute but could hold up to some light gravel/ mixed terrain at the weekends.

main attributes I’m looking for are puncture resistance, not too slow and ability to hit some light gravel at the weekends ... mostly be dealing with city roads.
I've been very impressed with the Continental Ride Tour tires. They're available in 700c/29 and 26in varieties.

Grippy on standard urban roads (asphalt and concrete roads and sidewalks). Decent on frosty and wet surfaces. Very good water evacuation, so no hydroplaning even at speed. Handles modest amounts of hardpack dirt and gravel roads. Has good puncture protection. (In 3+ years I've yet to have any flats, on mixed surfaces for weekly commuting.) And with the fairly solid center rib, they're not bad on rolling performance either. A bit heavier than some other competing tires, but I think they offer an excellent mix of attributes for an "urban" tire with occasional mixed surfaces expected.
Old 01-04-20, 08:40 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
Yea, I was going to recommend the Marathons before I read the post in detail. I have a pair that I took off my mountain bike and replaced with Kenda Nevegal, but after I did that I regretted it because the Marathons would have been fine for the kind of riding I'm likely to do on that bike. At least I didn't pay much and since they are on the bike they are staying there and it is a blast to be able to go through anything.

My commuter bike has Gatorskins and these aren't suitable for gravel/dirt really. But then again I've ridden my road bike with GP4000s on dirt too.