Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

RIP Buddy

Old 01-15-20, 03:55 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 2,192 Times in 1,234 Posts
It is hard to lose someone that you are close to. It is also sad to hear of such a loss of one of our own, doing what we all do . So many times we put ourselves in danger without even realizing the finality of every move we make and decisions that are made . May you find peace and healing in the coming months and May his memory live on with every push of the pedals. Joe
Old 01-15-20, 05:50 PM
Carbonated

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sad news.
I am starting to wonder if age is the reason I have made a couple of careless moves/decisions on my road bike recently.
I may start riding greenways which would be a huge step down from the feeling I get on country roads.
I have to be honest with myself though - maybe it's time.
Likes For Carbonated:
Old 01-15-20, 05:58 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonated
Sad news.
I am starting to wonder if age is the reason I have made a couple of careless moves/decisions on my road bike recently.
I may start riding greenways which would be a huge step down from the feeling I get on country roads.
I'm 55 and I stopped riding on most highways a year ago. Too dangerous around here in my opinion. It's still fun.
Old 01-15-20, 07:04 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
In the area this happened is a very very busy (traffic) area about 30 miles north of CHARLOTTE.

Sad but it happens around here frequently
Old 01-16-20, 07:55 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 453 Posts
I hate reading these reports. This past fall, we had a club member killed in a similar fashion. In typical victim-blaming, the 80+y.o. driver claimed the cyclist swerved in front of him. The reality was, the cyclists did a hand-signal and was making a legal left-hand turn onto a cross road when the old man attempted to pass him. Also killed instantly.
Old 01-16-20, 12:31 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I hate reading these reports. This past fall, we had a club member killed in a similar fashion. In typical victim-blaming, the 80+y.o. driver claimed the cyclist swerved in front of him. The reality was, the cyclists did a hand-signal and was making a legal left-hand turn onto a cross road when the old man attempted to pass him. Also killed instantly.
unless witnesses see these accidents we have no idea exactly what happened
Old 01-16-20, 08:51 PM
nmichell

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your friend, Jppe. We all try to be safe out there, but we're sharing the roads with lots of fast-moving heavy metal. I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 01-17-20, 11:41 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
The service for Earl was yesterday. Overflow attendance doesn’t begin to describe it. The chapel where the service was held was completely full. An adjacent even larger room was standing room only. A third room was the same thing. The foyer was full as well. Everyone could see and hear the service via large screen TVs. Just incredible.

His bike, jersey, helmet plus numerous pictures were on display. Open casket which was really tough for me.....

I also attended his graveside service afterwards, just so I’d know where to check in with him from time to time.

Henceforth to me RIP means “Ride In Peace”.

Here is a post from from Earl’s sister that I thought I’d share with you. It’s pretty powerful.

From Earl’s sister:

I just wanted to say that as Earl’s sister I was so overwhelmed by the HUGE out pouring of love and support at his funeral service. The number of people that came to show their love and respect for Earl, and support for Earl’s family was UNBELIEVABLE!!!

They were so many of our friends, and extended family members, and of course Earl’s huge second family of “cyclists” (which I could easily pick out after the first few by their physiques)
Today made the extreme sadness of the funeral that I had been dreading for several days turn into something that gave me personally so much comfort and peace. The whole experience made one of the most awful tragedies in my family’s history into something bearable.

I have no doubt that Earl was watching, and so proud of his two sons for stepping up like mountains and watching over their mother, Earl’s Sandy, the love of Earl’s life. And I know that Earl was so proud of his beautiful daughter-in-laws right by their side, supporting them and being the glue that held everything together, all while caring for Earl’s beautiful grandchildren. And I know Earl was so pleased that ALL his siblings and their families could be there together. And I have no doubt that Earl was watching us all, and so humbled by the outpouring of love and support from his huge cycling family, just as Earl’s family was humbled by their love too.

But for me personally, I lost a brother and I am sure my heart has not even begun to realize the depth of that yet. But I have gained an entirely new prespective on why Earl loved riding his bike so much. Because of Earl’s cycling family, I feel like I know Earl even better than I did before this happened. And I am so grateful to all of them for that gift.

Thank you so much to each and every person that could be there today, and every person that wanted to be there but couldn’t. And thank you so much to every single person who sent their positive thought and constant prayers. Without you all this would have been so so much harder. And like I learned today, we just have to keep peddling thru the pain, even when it is so hard that we just want to quit. Because the privilege of the ride with Earl was so worth every minute of it❤️❤️❤️
Old 01-17-20, 11:51 AM
dicktill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Very nice and poignant thoughts by his sister.

And RIP = Ride in Peace is very appropriate.

Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 01-17-20, 05:28 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonated
Sad news.
I found myself riding yesterday on a MUP, pitch dark, but lots of totally hard-to-see homeless people use it. At some point, I realized I was totally spacing out and not paying the least attention to my riding. Mind wandering. Now, I have pretty severe type 1 bipoolar disorder and I suppose it could be related to that, but really, I was just spacing out for no apparent reason. Scared me. I am usually so dialed in.
Old 01-21-20, 12:53 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
There were witnesses and eventually the truth came out. The point being, unless there ARE witnesses, the driver will ALWAYS claim the cyclist swerved into his/her path, and unless the right questions get asked, lazy reporting and police work will always blame the dead guy for bringing it on himself.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 01-22-20, 04:28 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Had a similar “accident” outside my development main entrance last year. Driver said he swerved to avoid a head-on collision with another vehicle and did not see the cyclist. Broad daylight at the time. Cyclist was 40-something with two young kids.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 01-23-20, 03:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 2,792 Times in 1,796 Posts
In the area this happened is a very very busy (traffic) area about 30 miles north of CHARLOTTE.

Sad but it happens around here frequently
True. That area pops up often on my Facebook feed news from various cycling journals. Lots of motorists striking cyclists. A friend's daughter was struck and killed in that area while training for a pro team. It motivated him to organize and lead the local Ride of Silence and was a great organizer for the cycling community. Sadly he dropped dead of a heart attack walking to his car from the hardware store. And he was only in his late 50s, in good shape, rode his bike often. Might have happened anyway but he never really stopped grieving over the loss of his daughter.

Typical passive/aggressive move by too many drivers. They interpret a turn signal as "Speed up to cut you off."

Same reason I avoid bike lanes. Too many drivers use them as passing lanes to pass -- on the right hand side -- drivers who slowed to make left turns. And the drivers don't slow down and sneak into the bike lane carefully to check for pedestrians or cyclists. They swoop to the right at full speed. I've recorded it on video but the police won't do anything unless they witness is personally. To their credit, the police do patrol and park-and-watch that area often now in response to complaints. And I've seen 'em stop many vehicles. So they're making an effort.

That's why I run video cameras on the front and back of my bikes.
Old 01-23-20, 06:57 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
This is why every state needs a 'four-foot rule," and it needs to be more widely publicized. Some motorists don't realize that cyclists get blown by the wind, have to dodge debris on the shoulder, etc - and they need a little breathing room.

We have a four-foot rule here in PA, though I am sure most motorists don't know it exists. Still, when a driver cruises behind me, waiting until the other lane is clear in order to pass me with a large and safe margin, I always give a little "thank you" wave as they drive past.

Sorry for yourjppe . That really is a bummer.
The rule we need enforced (it actually already exists) is that passing a vehicle - of which a bicycle is one - must be done safely which almost always means going completely into the opposing lane. If you don't edge ride - which in an of itself is highly dangerous because it encourages close passes - then cars must pass safely. As an aside, having a video camera proves it because your bike wheel position in the lane and the lane strip provide excellent references for distance.

There were witnesses and eventually the truth came out. The point being, unless there ARE witnesses, the driver will ALWAYS claim the cyclist swerved into his/her path, and unless the right questions get asked, lazy reporting and police work will always blame the dead guy for bringing it on himself.
Exactly right.

I ride with a video camera on my bike (Cycliq cameras) and I've used them multiple times to get the police to go after motorists who pass too closely and/or who pass improperly. It takes a bit to get them jacked up to do it, but they get around to it. For them, it's an unusual set of circumstances but an insistent citizen who has proof usually gets them to go after the drivers. In the process, both the officer and the driver usually wind up learning something.

After just retiring and looking at estate planning, we're getting ready to redo our will. I'm contemplating putting in there that if my death is the result of a motor vehicle hitting me while on my bicycle, that my heirs should sue for wrongful death.

My condolences to @jppe - that is a tragedy and I can empathize about how tough it is to lose a friend in general but certainly in such a senseless way.
Old 01-24-20, 03:29 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Sorry for your, and Earl's family's loss, another good man done gone a full go'round. Ride In Peace Earl.

Prayers for you Joe, and for his family too.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-25-20 at 09:00 AM.
Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 01-25-20, 09:46 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Well, absolutely tragic, but I must say, whatever the facts, this story did remind me that I, myself, a fairly experienced rider, have swerved without warning slightly into the lane when seeing a dangerous object in my path at the last moment at speed. It's almost a reflex. I guess I have been lucky.
I have done this as well, probably most of us have. A rock, a stick or a dead animal and all of a sudden we're farther out into the lane than we expected to.
I have also started wearing only my left hearing aid while riding. Hoping to better hear any cars coming up from behind.

Your friend sounds like he was a "friend" to just about anyone else on a bike. Very sorry jppe.
Old 01-25-20, 10:13 AM
Kabuki12

It is interesting that non cyclists view this topic and some feel that there is no reason someone should be on the road with a bicycle when the road is meant for cars. I get this from people who do not ride a lot . These are seemingly well meaning individuals. What these folks don’t understand is the danger in not respecting the space of another human being on a bike. Unfortunately sometimes it is too late when they finally get the message. It doesn’t matter if you believe someone should or shouldn’t be on a bike , it is another human being and one poor decision and that life comes to an end. No turning back!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 01-25-20, 11:11 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
It is interesting that non cyclists view this topic and some feel that there is no reason someone should be on the road with a bicycle when the road is meant for cars. I get this from people who do not ride a lot . These are seemingly well meaning individuals. What these folks don’t understand is the danger in not respecting the space of another human being on a bike. Unfortunately sometimes it is too late when they finally get the message. It doesn’t matter if you believe someone should or shouldn’t be on a bike , it is another human being and one poor decision and that life comes to an end. No turning back!
But you also cannot just randomly blame the vehicle for the accident without all the facts (each accident is created differently)

there is a reason why these things are called accidents (normal people just don’t wake up one day and say I am going to run over a bicyclist today). Things happen (unfortunately).

and yes it’s sad
Old 01-25-20, 11:36 AM
Kabuki12

But you also cannot just randomly blame the vehicle for the accident without all the facts (each accident is created differently)

there is a reason why these things are called accidents (normal people just don’t wake up one day and say I am going to run over a bicyclist today). Things happen (unfortunately).

and yes it’s sad
you are correct. I have seen instances of cyclists being inconsiderate of motorists as well. I just think a little consideration would go a long way to prevent some of these accidents.... on both sides of the equation. I feel so bad every time I hear of stories like this. I think of how can this happen, truth is it happens more often than we can imagine. And , you are also correct, very sad indeed.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 01-25-20, 01:10 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

you are correct. I have seen instances of cyclists being inconsiderate of motorists as well. I just think a little consideration would go a long way to prevent some of these accidents.... on both sides of the equation. I feel so bad every time I hear of stories like this. I think of how can this happen, truth is it happens more often than we can imagine. And , you are also correct, very sad indeed.
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 01-25-20, 01:33 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
This is why every state needs a 'four-foot rule," and it needs to be more widely publicized. Some motorists don't realize that cyclists get blown by the wind, have to dodge debris on the shoulder, etc - and they need a little breathing room.

We have a four-foot rule here in PA, though I am sure most motorists don't know it exists. Still, when a driver cruises behind me, waiting until the other lane is clear in order to pass me with a large and safe margin, I always give a little "thank you" wave as they drive past.

Sorry for yourjppe . That really is a bummer.
We have a 3-foot clearance rule in California, and getting it passed was a long struggle, but we finally did it. There are a lot of bicyclists in my town in north coastal San Diego County, and motorists are mostly pretty well-behaved, although we have our share of the aggressive and/or impatient ones, as well. If your state does not have a safe passing margin law, work with your legislators and your fellow cycling advocates to create one and get the governor to sign it.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-25-20, 01:34 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

and yes it’s sad
Yes, but most are preventable and occur because someone is either careless or distracted.
Likes For John E:
Old 01-25-20, 01:40 PM
John E
feros ferio

I simply point out to these folks that public roads are for the use of everyone and that gasoline taxes and vehicle registration fees fall far short of covering the cost of non-Interstate construction and maintenance. We are legitimate users with full rights and responsibilities, and entitled to as much respect as any others.

Today I ride far less than I used to, and far less than I would like to, in response to an entire generation of phone-distracted motorists and a new generation of cars with inherently dangerously distracting touch screen controls. (Future daughter-in-law number 2 drives a Model 3, and my son likes everything about the car except the damn touch screen. Off topic -- it's also pretty stupid to design a car in which the rear window has to roll down 1/4" so that the door can be opened. One major, one minor strike against an otherwise trend-setting and well-engineered car.)
Old 01-25-20, 01:56 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
We have a 3-foot clearance rule in California, and getting it passed was a long struggle, but we finally did it. There are a lot of bicyclists in my town in north coastal San Diego County, and motorists are mostly pretty well-behaved, although we have our share of the aggressive and/or impatient ones, as well. If your state does not have a safe passing margin law, work with your legislators and your fellow cycling advocates to create one and get the governor to sign it.
We have this law in GA as well and have had for about 4-5 years. But if you were to ask a hundred people about his law...viritually no one knows of it's existence. It's probably on your driver's test but who remembers those details without being reminded. I see dozens of signs every week reminding me to "buckle up". Don't remember seeing more than one sign reminding me of the Three Foot Law.
Old 01-25-20, 07:48 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by John E
Yes, but most are preventable and occur because someone is either careless or distracted.
but that’s most accidents