Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Wheelset inner and outer width for use with 32mm tires

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-21, 12:44 PM
pcunite

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Overview:
  • In need of a new carbon wheel set
  • Will only install 32mm tires
  • Continental Grand Prix 5000 or Gatorskin
  • Highway pavement roads

Question:
Since I will only be using 32mm tires, should I go with a carbon rim that has a 25mm inner dimension (32 outer) over a rim that is 21mm inner (28 outer)? I'm comparing the Light Bicycle WR35 to the AR36. Something like the Zip 303, I imagine.
Old 01-27-21, 01:20 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
From what I can tell, the best/optimal external width for a rim is 1.05x the tire width when inflated. Obviously that gets impractical as tires get really wide. But you’ll be better off with the wider internal rims for a 32mm tire. Hunt has a set of wheels that are very well priced that are specifically aimed at wider tires. So does Enve with their 3.4 AR wheels (only not so well priced...).
Old 01-27-21, 03:43 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by pcunite
Continental Grand Prix 5000 or Gatorskin
This is like saying, I'll either be riding on asphalt or in mud.
Old 01-28-21, 09:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Is staying within the tire manufacturers recommendation important to you or are you going for your own set of specs? Perhaps aesthetics and how the tire profile matches the aero shape of your rim?

If you are going for the tire manufacturers recommendation then Continental's general guide for sizing rims and tires says a 32 mm tire should go on a rim that is between 15 and 19 mm internal width. What is it for external is entirely your choice and whether or not you use rim brakes and what range they'll function in if you do have rim brakes.

https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...g-instructions

Open the "Can I mount 28mm wide tires on my road bike? " and there is a chart that includes 32 mm wide tires. Note that the C is for "clinchers"

There is also this .pdf by Continental for mounting their tires on carbon rims. The chart in it shows the same for 32 mm wide tires.

https://blobs.continental-tires.com/...ction-data.pdf

Last edited by Iride01; 01-28-21 at 09:04 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-28-21, 09:45 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Keep in mind that some of the very wide road wheelsets/rims are hookless and tubeless tire only (though you can put a tube in them) and that Conti tires are not compatible with hookless rims.

Out of curiosity, why 32mm only? With wide rims, 28s are pretty voluminous and allow low pressure/supple ride. I'm on Zipp 303S and 28mm tires and I'm running -/+60psi at ~185 lbs. Did you want/need to go lower?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-28-21, 10:02 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts
My superteam carbon wheels are 25 mm wide and I run 32 conti gp 5000 on them.
Old 01-28-21, 10:36 AM
pcunite

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Is staying within the tire manufacturers recommendation important or are you going for aesthetics? See ETRTO chart here.
Thank you. That helps me understand better. It is older information, but very useful. I'm leaning towards aesthetics, but wondered what was considered proper and correct for air signature. I'm not a racer, just a curious individual.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Conti tires are not compatible with hookless rims. Out of curiosity, why 32mm only? Did you want/need to go lower?
I will only buy hooked versions. As far as 32mm only. I can't say for certain, but it seems a nice starting place. Seems popular with some data[1] to back it up. I think I just perceive it to be more comfortable. So, I want to invest in it. About comfort again, do to the higher volume of air in a 32mm tire, the air pressure is lower. This should increases comfort and grip. If I ever went hookless, 32mm might also be best because the standard states that for tires with a max pressure of 80psi there must be a rim hook. 32mm should not ever require such high pressure.

Originally Posted by bampilot06
My superteam carbon wheels are 25 mm wide and I run 32 conti gp 5000 on them.
That is the outer dimension. What is the internal? I think it is 17 or 19.

Additional information:

[1] Are wider tires faster?

[2] Wider tires need less pressure. The ETRTO max pressure for hookless rims is 73psi.

Last edited by pcunite; 01-28-21 at 11:51 AM.