Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Would you let your Kid or Neighbor or Friend borrow your Bicycle?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-27-21, 08:56 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
My kids....yes under supervision until I am confident they are safe and understand how to care for it. Anyone else...no, unless it was a beater bike that I didn't care about.
Old 01-27-21, 09:02 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
I like keeping a relatively cheap vintage MTB around as a loaner. Those bikes are tough to destroy and easy to set up for different sized riders. But with the pandemic, I gave away the two specialized rockhoppers (one was from the late 80s, the other early 90s) that I used as loaners. I just picked up a Peugeot UO 10 for $40 that I'll likely keep as a loaner at least for a while.
Old 01-27-21, 03:13 PM
aspalmat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Nobody touches my bikes.
This!
Likes For aspalmat:
Old 01-27-21, 03:24 PM
Bosco13

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 18 Posts
Yes, maybe, no. Loaded question.
Old 01-27-21, 03:25 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
When he was visiting last year, I let my 27 yr old son borrow my number one for a 25 mile solo ride, because I wanted him to experience the awesomeness of carbon, Di2, and a power meter. Upon returning I simply got a "cool" out of him. In hindsight he should've gotten the "cool" trainer bike.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 01-27-21, 07:47 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I lent out my E-Bike once... Never again... I can usually get over 100Km out of it before the battery is dead/close to dead...(1 bar left) I got it back after 25Km of this dude riding it like a moped and the battery was stone cold dead... NOT a good thing to do with a $1,000 battery... (or any battery for that matter).
Old 01-28-21, 03:14 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
My two bikes are like underwear. They're meant to fit my body and my style. And like my underwear, they don't get loaned out.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 01-28-21, 04:32 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Re my kid, sure. We actually shared a pit bike for CX this year. And I have some friends I'd loan bikes to. Others not so much.
Old 01-28-21, 05:05 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
When I was about 8yo, I let an annoying guy ride around w/my bike; we were @ baseball practice. After a few minutes, I wanted it back; he played chicken w/me; rode right toward me slowly; I didn't move- the front bolt-on axle tore into my leg- 16 stitches.
Old 01-28-21, 11:36 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I gave a bike to a friend of mine after his house burned in the CZU fire and he lost everything. But it still managed to annoy me. One of the first things he did was put something like motor oil all over a freshly waxed chain because he thought it was too dry.

i have to learn to let go.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 01-28-21, 11:39 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Similar story here. My folks told me about a young guy attending their church who was recovering from drug addiction and was looking for a bike to get to his job. I gave him a clean Raleigh mountain bike that was completely tuned and now sporting pavement worthy tires. We hung out for a day and he genuinely seemed excited about riding to work and improving his situation in life. I found out a couple months later he sold the bike in pieces to buy drugs.
No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 01-29-21, 12:06 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,071 Posts
My son, sure. He's a skilled artisan who cares about quality; his standards are higher than mine. It would come back better than it left.
My daughter's too short.
For friends/neighbors, if they are cyclists I'd loan them anything except my Fog Cutter; I want to be the one to scratch it first.
Old 01-29-21, 06:20 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
My three bikes are clipless and I do not have spare platform pedals in the parts bin. I also wear size 13 US shoes. So unless they have their own SPD or SPD-SL shoes, it is a non-starter. I would loan out my MTB to a trusted friend or family member but it is such a porker at 35+ lbs, no one would want it.

I would never ask to ride another cyclist's bike because it is a very personal item.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 01-29-21 at 07:12 AM. Reason: added
Old 01-29-21, 06:42 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
Kid - yes, he's my kid. (My daughter's my kid too, but she rides horses. She bought her own. We don't share our rides. We're both happy with that.)
Friend - possibly, but not probably. Very unlikely actually.
Neighbor - no. He/she can buy my bike and take it. But no borrow.

I loaned a prized Schwinn Paramount w/ upgraded Ultegra 600 Tri-Color components to a very good acquaintance. He was training for a tri. He was cross-chaining up a steep climb and the derailleur went into the wheel.
He was transporting the bike in the back of his car, so I suspect the derailleur may have been misaligned at that point, then made then poor riding skills on top of that.
The bike shop realigned the hanger (steel is real, Dorothy!) and he bought a new 105 derailleur, and the LBS fixed the wheel.

So there ya go.
Old 01-29-21, 11:47 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
When I was about 8yo, I let an annoying guy ride around w/my bike; we were @ baseball practice. After a few minutes, I wanted it back; he played chicken w/me; rode right toward me slowly; I didn't move- the front bolt-on axle tore into my leg- 16 stitches.
You learned multiple life lessons that day. Don't loan out your stuff to annoying guys. And don't try to win at chicken, because the winners always lose.
Old 01-29-21, 03:40 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9647 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Nope! If they cause damage, they'll find a way to get out of paying for it. Speaking of neighbors and friends. Kids know better than to ask.

Knew a guy years back that seemed pretty cool but a little sketchy. He spoke of moving to another state but before he planned on doing a ride in another state (Ragbrai ?). He asked if he could borrow or rent my tandem to travel our of state to do the ride. I don't think so. Never saw him again after that so I'm thinking if I had let him borrow my tandem, I never would have seen it again.
Sounds like you need to find better friends!
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-29-21, 04:28 PM
huffman 

Bikes: Niner Jet 9 • Santa Cruz 5010 • Litespeed Watia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Family yes, but only with my backup bikes. I let a friend bring a coworker on a ride and I loaned him my backup mountain bike, 300 yards into the ride he had destroyed the rear derailleur, chain, hanger. Ride over! For the life of me I don't know how he did it. $278.51 later my bike was rideable again. They never offered to help with the repairs (both make way more money than I do), I never asked them for it. Me, I would have footed the entire bill. Ya live & ya learn.
Old 01-29-21, 05:05 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
I've often loaned out a motor vehicle, so why not a bike? But in both cases, it depends on the person and the situation.

Regarding tools: we live in a ridiculously individualistic society. Given how long they will last with minimal maintenance, it is a bit silly for each household to have its own lawn mower, snowblower, air compressor, etc. It makes much more sense to share things. My neighbors have some tools that I lack, but there are other things that I can offer them. e.g., both of my next-door neighbors have air compressors, which makes it easier for me to mount tubeless tires. And I'm a very good baker. It all works out, as long as everyone is reasonable.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-29-21, 05:36 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
Loan out my Domane? Uh, no.

Luckily, my daughter has no interest in riding my bike. She has a kinda hybrid mtb I got for her at a shop years ago. My wife has her own Giant.
Old 01-29-21, 06:09 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
My daughter has a couple of nice road bikes that I helped her build. My neighbor loves his Harley so no interest in vintage road bikes. I hired a homeless guy to paint the floors in my shop and the third or fourth day he showed up on foot saying his bicycle got stolen. I had a mid level Specialized mountain bike I was no longer riding so I put it on the stand and tuned it up , the tires were almost new. He showed up at my shop a few days later with it rattle canned bright green . The whole bike , tires wheels everything, but not before changing the handlebars out for some ape hangers. The brake levers were tied up around the top tube! He said it didn’t work well so he made some changes to improve it. Never again! He destroyed the bike in less than a week. Oh and he swapped the nice alloy wheel with one of his buddies for a nutted Rusty chrome steel one. I would only loan or give a bike to someone I know well that would take care of it.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 01-29-21, 09:11 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I'm not a bank or a credit union, so no. No loans.

Plus my kids have a couple bikes each.

I just realized how many bikes are here. I don't want to think about it...
Old 01-29-21, 10:31 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I’m not even ready to give my kids my Legos
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-30-21, 10:27 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I would lend a bike to go on a ride but for a log term, Bye and thanks, see you in a month, kind of burrow I don't think so. It would depend on the person as I am careful with my stuff so it would be hard for me to just let it out of the garage and wave. I made a living as a licensed plumber for 48 years and respected my tools as a means of making a living. I respected the tools of all of the other craftsmen on the jobs as their means of making a living so lending mine out would again depend on the person. I have a daughter that I let borrow anything she wants as she has respect for what they mean to me but even with that she doesn't return them in a condition that I would have if the situation was reversed. As far as anything breaking on something I have borrowed, there is no question as to my paying to have it repaired or replaced. This is the reason I have tools that I have used once and they now hang in my shop because if I have to repair/replace it for you I might as well buy it and have it. Honestly, I have not always been of this mindset. I used to loan out anything I had but got burned many times that now I really think twice before I offer.
Be safe, Frank.
Old 01-30-21, 06:18 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Of my fleet of 10, 5 stay put (one classic racer I barely ride due to pristine condition). If those near me need a bike while we ride it’s a different story than the bike being out of my sight. I’m generous with my bikes but not unwise.
Old 01-31-21, 12:14 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
As others have said, it depends on the bike and the family/friend. As a general rule, I don't lend anything that would upset me if it didn't come back. The guy I ride with could borrow any of my bikes, books, firearms, chain saw, or tools because he takes very good care of his own stuff and has always returned what he borrowed. Son or grandson could borrow any of my things including bikes short term. Again, they take care of their own bikes so probably wouldn't need mine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.