Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Maine Cancelled their 2021 Tour

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike Maine Cancelled their 2021 Tour

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-21, 01:28 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,927 Times in 1,210 Posts
I don't remember who used it as a tagline first:

Reality. What a concept!
Old 01-17-21, 04:06 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I don’t have a huge issue with not getting fully reimbursed for the registration fee. Unfortunately it’s not uncommon and I had a similar experience with Ride the Rockies in 2020. There are some costs the rides just can’t absorb and continue to operate future events. I’d rather they survive to live another day in these unusual times. I have asked for some leniency on my wife’s registration fee as she was just planning to eat the meals and camp. We’ll see.

Thanks for the ideas on other routes and rides. If anyone has other ideas for rides the US please offer them up. We probably won’t head up into the NE to do a ride this year. I like the idea of a west coast ride along the ocean. I just need to do some more vetting on the safety of Hwys 101 and 1. I still have the GAP/C&O on my list to do so maybe I can work that in. I’m hopeful of a tour in Montana this summer so that could be another one. I might also look at riding in my home state starting at the Tennessee state line and riding to the coast. I haven’t riding much lately so if I hope to do any of these I need to get back on the saddle!
Old 01-17-21, 04:10 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Seems like I've heard that one before. Vaccines will be approved before election day ring a bell? How about 20 million vaccine doses distributed by the end of December?

A. How many people do you know who are qualified to evaluate vaccine certifications from multiple venues in all 50 states and a few foreign countries? How many of them are looking for a temporary job?
B. Has your locality outlawed bike rides? I just got back from a lovely 20 mile loop. I'll get some longer rides in over the weekend; nobody is keeping me cooped up!
C. Did you notice the difference between me going for a solo ride and you wanting to go for a bike ride, eat, and sleep cheek by jowl with a few hundred of your closest friends you never saw before that week?
Sleep cheek by jowl???
Old 01-24-21, 11:23 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Seems like I've heard that one before. Vaccines will be approved before election day ring a bell? How about 20 million vaccine doses distributed by the end of December?
I never heard 20 million by the end of December. I always heard no significant immunizations until maybe March. By that timetable we're doing fine. I've already had my first dose. It'll get better as more vaccines are approved. And yes, the problem's not so much putting riders on the roads, it's trying to feed them and put them up for the night somewhere while meeting guidelines. Schools are popular overnights for many rides; but most schools are closed (remote-learning only) and are unwilling to host hoards of strangers.
Old 01-25-21, 07:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,927 Times in 1,210 Posts
Have you had your Kool-Aid today?

Covid vaccine: US officials promised 20 million vaccinated by 2020. It's going slower than that - CNN

20 million Americans will get a COVID vaccine this year, administration says (yahoo.com)
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-26-21, 09:23 AM
rlmalisz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I don’t have a huge issue with not getting fully reimbursed for the registration fee. Unfortunately it’s not uncommon and I had a similar experience with Ride the Rockies in 2020. There are some costs the rides just can’t absorb and continue to operate future events. I’d rather they survive to live another day in these unusual times. I have asked for some leniency on my wife’s registration fee as she was just planning to eat the meals and camp. We’ll see.

Thanks for the ideas on other routes and rides. If anyone has other ideas for rides the US please offer them up. We probably won’t head up into the NE to do a ride this year. I like the idea of a west coast ride along the ocean. I just need to do some more vetting on the safety of Hwys 101 and 1. I still have the GAP/C&O on my list to do so maybe I can work that in. I’m hopeful of a tour in Montana this summer so that could be another one. I might also look at riding in my home state starting at the Tennessee state line and riding to the coast. I haven’t riding much lately so if I hope to do any of these I need to get back on the saddle!
Cycle Oregon is always a great ride, but they cancelled 2020 (COVID) and had to cancel 2019 because the route went through national forest land that was afire leading up to the ride. For that year, they also did 50% refund. They usually announce new route and start booking riders around Valentine's. We've done it twice over the years...both in the eastern part of the state, charmingly referred to as "Oregon's Alps". Used to sell out every year...but these are weird times.
Old 01-26-21, 06:48 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by rlmalisz
Cycle Oregon is always a great ride, but they cancelled 2020 (COVID) and had to cancel 2019 because the route went through national forest land that was afire leading up to the ride. For that year, they also did 50% refund. They usually announce new route and start booking riders around Valentine's. We've done it twice over the years...both in the eastern part of the state, charmingly referred to as "Oregon's Alps". Used to sell out every year...but these are weird times.
Cycle Oregon is terrific! I’ve ridden it a couple times with the last one in ‘19 where we did Crater Lake, but rained hard the first 3 days!?!? Really well organized and the entertainment is a nice bonus. Maybe it was ‘18 that it was canceled due to the fires? I think some of the guys at CO told me I should do Bike Maine.

Old 01-26-21, 07:08 PM
rlmalisz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
Cycle Oregon is terrific! I’ve ridden it a couple times with the last one in ‘19 where we did Crater Lake, but rained hard the first 3 days!?!? Really well organized and the entertainment is a nice bonus. Maybe it was ‘18 that it was canceled due to the fires? I think some of the guys at CO told me I should do Bike Maine.

2017 was cancelled due to the fires. 2018/2019 both happened. 2020...oh, well. We had a lot of fire smoke here (Forest Grove) around Cycle O time in both 2017 and 2020...and with COVID, 2019 and 2020 sort of blurred together for me. We did 1995 and 2003, both stunners. By 2003 they had added the tent porter service and the rest day mid-ride. For 1995, things were a bit tougher. Glad to have done both. 2003 included the Halfway to Wallowa Lake day, where the weather guy travelling (but not riding) with us assured us it wouldn't rain. I insisted my SO take her rain jacket. Started drizzling on the first long climb, and was pouring and 50F on the descent...water running across the road 1/2" deep, so had to ride the brakes all the way down to the lunch stop. 600 riders sagged out there. We both made it, but I was close to being swept off the route due to darkness. Back in those days, I was riding with Oakleys, and it was *really* dark when I reached the campground from my side of the glasses. Photo-gray Tifosis after that event.
Likes For rlmalisz:
Old 01-26-21, 07:22 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Ride the Rockies say they are ON for this year. It seems a year too early for me but I’ll be vaccinated and am leaning towards riding it.
Old 01-30-21, 10:12 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/trending...3AQ3RIZUQNUGYY

Geez. Hopefully the repairs can be completed sooner than later!

Last edited by jppe; 01-31-21 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-30-21, 11:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Yeah, I saw that yesterday on the news and immediately knew where it was even before they said California or Hwy 1. Then I immediately thought of you indicating that you might want to ride Hwy 1.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...th-of-big-sur/

It's not the first time they've had that happen on Hwy 1. But this might be the worst.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-30-21 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-31-21, 09:10 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The weeklong supported tour was originally scheduled for September, 2020. They postponed the ride due to COVID until September 2021 which was a smart decision. They just rolled our registrations over from 2020 to the 2021 event. I received an email from them a few days ago that they’ve now made the decision to not hold the large event for 2021. We will get refunds except for an $150 administrative fee.

I think cancelling the event is a reasonable decision on their part. There are still too many concerns trying to put on an event like that for this year. I don’t know about the area where you like, but the initial rollout of the vaccination near me is extremely chaotic.

My wife told me that we just need to “plan to do our own thing” ride wise this year. She will SAG for me so I just need to figure out when and where. We really enjoyed the Natchez Trace Parkway a few months ago so I can check that off the list. I’ve already ridden across the US, the Blue Ridge Parkway and across the US so I need to come up some other options.

Any suggestions???
I have already had my first shot thru he VA and will get my second next month. Again by Sept I would suggest most everyone that wants one should have one by then. Why shut off a ride so far in the future.
Old 01-31-21, 01:53 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Waiting to see if the new and improved COVID re-infects everyone again in March and the vaccine effectiveness isn’t very good against the new mutations and the pandemic rages on all year. 2021, so far, is looking a lot like a dismal rerun of 2020. Until then I won’t be signing up for any rides where I have to send money. Maybe we’ll get back to normal, whatever that means, in 2022 or 2023.
Old 01-31-21, 02:17 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,653 Times in 780 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Waiting to see if the new and improved COVID re-infects everyone again in March and the vaccine effectiveness isn’t very good against the new mutations and the pandemic rages on all year. 2021, so far, is looking a lot like a dismal rerun of 2020. Until then I won’t be signing up for any rides where I have to send money. Maybe we’ll get back to normal, whatever that means, in 2022 or 2023.
A Massachusetts politician who had already been vaccinated recently tested positive for Covid-19: Coronavirus: Massachusetts Democratic congressman, vaccinated for Covid-19, tests positive for virus - CNNPolitics
Ride events everywhere are getting cancelled. I've lost money on registrations, but I understand the organizers are caught between a rock and a hard place. Imagine if someone caught the virus while on a group ride, and then decided to sue. Imagine if they cancel out of caution and someone sues. Sue ride organizers, and soon there will be no organized rides at all.
Old 02-01-21, 05:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I have already had my first shot thru he VA and will get my second next month. Again by Sept I would suggest most everyone that wants one should have one by then. Why shut off a ride so far in the future.
Earlier you predicted it would be by spring.

In any event, and to answer your question, events often require commitments on the part of the organizers WAY in advance. There can also be a lot of work, such as planning with local communities. And these days some communities may not want to host large events, making staging a ride difficult or impossible.

I hope you NOW understand what goes on behind the scenes.
Old 02-02-21, 07:47 AM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Yep. September should have everyone vaccinated that wants it. Mass vaccination is also the best way to prevent virus mutation, as well.

I’ve slowly grown to dislike the phrase ‘out of an abundance of caution.’

I think it’s too early to be cancelling fall events. In fact, I still hope to do a couple of organized centuries this summer.