Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hitch Rack Question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hitch Rack Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-21, 10:51 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Hitch Rack Question

Does anyone use the Thule DoubleTrack Pro 2 platform hitch rack? Do any of you use it with a carbon frame bike?

I am reconsidering my rack choices and rather than a roof mounted rack, I'm considering a platform hitch rack. I know that many of you don't like racks that touch the frame, but I will occasionally carry bikes with fenders, so racks that attach at the wheels won't work for me. The Thule DoubleTrack Pro seems to be good because it can attach to the frame without undue pressure, but is sturdy, lockable, etc.. It can attach to the frame from above, below or even the side of the top tube. My road bike is carbon, but my other bikes are aluminum and steel so they are not the issue. Thule even sells a $30.00 carbon frame protector pad for extra protection.

The rack is still on the Thule site, but appears that it may have been discontinued (I'll call Thule customer service.). I did however, find a place with some inventory.

Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.
Old 02-02-21, 01:06 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I don’t have that particular rack, but I won’t buy any rack that touches the frame of a bike after the rack I did have did more damage to the finish of the bike than the rack cost.

At some point the rack/frame interface will get some grit in there and with the vibration of driving, you’ll damage the frame to a greater or lesser degree.. This is especially true of rear hitch racks were in wet conditions, the bikes tend to get hit with water straight from the road surface at pressure.

The racks I have now are the 1UpUSA and the QuikrStuff racks that have both been excellent but not cheap.
Old 02-02-21, 09:56 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
I have the Yakima HoldUp for 2 bikes and have had it for about 10 years. Great rack, although I generally am only hauling 1 bike. So I recently decided to pick up the 1up Super Duty single bike rack. When my wife decides to go for a ride with me, I can just trade out the racks and we are good to go. I also will not use a rack that touches my frame again.

Old 02-03-21, 07:49 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
I have use the DoubleTrack Pro 2 for about 3 years, will all my bicycles-- from carbon road, to Aluminum MTBs. It's pretty versatile and I can always find a tray position that works with my Medium bikes and my wife's Small.. no matter that the wheel size/type.

As for the frame clamp, I have used it without a thought and there has never been a problem with my carbon frames. The clamp itself is padded with rubber and easy to dial in to just the right tension to hold the frame well. That plus the wheel straps at the tray make a pretty stable mounting platform. I do worry about the security of the locks, like most rack locks they seem pretty cheap. If I stay overnight I usually bring the bikes into the hotel, etc.
Old 02-03-21, 07:57 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
We always had two fork mount roof racks , loved it , we looked cool and very hip on the Interstates but the lift and place on our SUV got to be a little shaky and so I got a Thule T2 Pro hitch rack a couple years ago , love it , our bikes are Titanium - rear wheels are strapped and the hook comes down over the front wheels - very secure at high speed & easy on and off , would buy it again - the one caveat is that it probably is a little heavy compared to some other hitch racks and so my DW helps me lift it over to the hitch but there's no sway on the highway , it's solid .

Last edited by blinky; 02-03-21 at 08:01 AM.
Likes For blinky:
Old 02-03-21, 12:47 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
I just bought a 1Up Equip-D rack. The quality is WAY over the top compared to all the other tray racks on the market and the price is still inline with those...I ride MTBs, road bikes and Fat Bikes. This rack holds them all amazingly securely with no adjustments. No brainer for me...

Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 02-03-21, 01:20 PM
redcon1

Originally Posted by yarbrough462
I just bought a 1Up Equip-D rack. The quality is WAY over the top compared to all the other tray racks on the market and the price is still inline with those...I ride MTBs, road bikes and Fat Bikes. This rack holds them all amazingly securely with no adjustments. No brainer for me...
I see the 1-up for Equip-D for $729; add in shipping and 772.49-- not really in line for pricing. I paid $349 shipped for my Thule Double Track Pro. For the difference, I could buy a second Thule, and have about $75 left over.
Old 02-03-21, 03:58 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1
I see the 1-up for Equip-D for $729; add in shipping and 772.49-- not really in line for pricing. I paid $349 shipped for my Thule Double Track Pro. For the difference, I could buy a second Thule, and have about $75 left over.
The Double Track holds the bike by the frame. The Thule (and other brand) racks that don't are much closer in price to the 1-Up. I have had (and still do have) a few Thule racks. My Up Ride roof rack has had several issues. Thule has great warranty service and has taken care of me but, their racks are still not the same quality. I prefer to "buy once, cry once" at this point in my life.
Old 02-04-21, 04:11 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
I got one from Nashbar 10 years ago that holds 4 bikes well. It only touches the frame with foam over the top tube. I put a microfiber towel under that when I’m moving a “pretty” bike.
Old 02-04-21, 06:52 AM
redcon1

Originally Posted by yarbrough462
The Double Track holds the bike by the frame. The Thule (and other brand) racks that don't are much closer in price to the 1-Up. I have had (and still do have) a few Thule racks. My Up Ride roof rack has had several issues. Thule has great warranty service and has taken care of me but, their racks are still not the same quality. I prefer to "buy once, cry once" at this point in my life.
OP: I want to get a Honda Accord, does anyone own one, and what are your experiences?
BF: Dude, get a Mercedes S-Class. Does everything SO much better than the Accord.

He asked about a specific Thule Rack. I have one and it's worked great for 3+years, and is a good value.
Likes For redcon1:
Old 02-04-21, 05:29 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Yea, the Equip D is about 150 more than the original design....could not justify that and I did not care about it being black, so I just bought the silver model original and if I had gotten for 2 bikes, it would have come in right around 625 which is pretty much the same as the Thule and Yamika.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-04-21, 08:17 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
OP: I want to get a Honda Accord, does anyone own one, and what are your experiences?
BF: Dude, get a Mercedes S-Class. Does everything SO much better than the Accord.

He asked about a specific Thule Rack. I have one and it's worked great for 3+years, and is a good value.
I really appreciate all of the responses. Some of you missed that I said I'll need to carry bikes with fenders (a touring bike with front and back racks and fenders and a hybrid also with two racks and fenders). It looks like the Thule I asked about will serve me best. I see that Thule sells a $20.00 pad specially made to protect carbon frames so that adds frame security. Thank you Redcon1 for your on-point comments based on your actual experiences.
Likes For MAK:
Old 02-07-21, 04:53 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
The 1UP is certainly the rack to get if you need something until the end of time. They also have accessories for the rack so that it can carried fendered bikes. You can find it here.

Personally I wouldn't have any part touching my carbon frame, even if it was padded.

I purchased the copy of the 1UP by Thule but I don't think they have the same type of accessory that 1UP so it wouldn't be a great choice for you but non fendered bikes, it is a winner.
Old 02-10-21, 10:14 PM
hallux1 

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kuat,,,,use on all my carbon frame bikes,,,,never an issue
Old 02-12-21, 09:26 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
My wife has a bike with fenders. We have a Kuat NV 2.0 hitch rack that clamps the wheels down. We've never had any problems keeping the bike secure even though it has fenders. I have no experience with the rack you are asking about but if that rack isn't in stock don't cross others off your list.
Old 02-13-21, 07:09 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I have use the Kuat NV, Saris Holdup (I think that was the name), Thule T2, Sportworks T2, and the Kuat Sherpa. 1UPUSA trumps them all, PLUS it is all made here...Wisconsin, I think. Love that rack. Light, solid, modular. Their D-Equipe is heavier duty and also stellar.
Likes For Chandne: