Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 02-22-21, 01:50 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
What do you think is the wrong way? They should be going around it counterclockwise just like any other traffic circle/roundabout. Or am I wrong? That's how everyone here does it except a couple people who live on the "exit" of the cul de sac who cut off and some truck drivers (I assume that's something about it being easier for them to see that they're not hitting mailboxes if they turn right and go clockwise around it.
Yeah, I totally do that. I've never lived on one, but when visiting someone on a cul-de-sac (in the before times), I go directly to their driveway usually. Only if I'm just turning around do I stay to the right and do the full circle.
Old 02-22-21, 02:08 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Yeah, I totally do that. I've never lived on one, but when visiting someone on a cul-de-sac (in the before times), I go directly to their driveway usually. Only if I'm just turning around do I stay to the right and do the full circle.
If there's no divider, I'll often go directly if I'm going to their driveway (I usually park on the curb and if they live in the cul de sac park either just before or after it so I'm not screwing someone's radius as I for some reason am weird about parking in people's driveways).

If there is an island (my road has one), I go the full way around.

What gets me is that I was taught that you have to park on the side of the street in the direction of traffic (not a big deal with all the cul de sacs in subdivisions around here making it easy to turn around), but it seems like that wasn't taught here. Chaos with people parking both directions all over the place.
Old 02-22-21, 02:13 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
And doesn't Strava show it? Mine shows up right under ride time. Then the stuff in orange is from Strava Sauce (?) I think.

Not for the club leaderboards; just miles, elevation and average speed.
Old 02-22-21, 02:14 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
They're driving around it clockwise. They cross center on the straight road before even arriving at the cul de sac also.
Old 02-22-21, 02:17 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
I now have Tron bike envy.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-22-21, 02:21 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
It's fun! You guys are overthinking it.
Not in the least, honestly.

But zwift has bigger plans.

https://www.outsideonline.com/240300...g-olympics-UCI
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 02-22-21, 02:35 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by gsteinb

I feel like there's a population of Zwift that feels to me at least got there because they don't care for the IRL racing environment. I don't mean the people in your race. I just mean the whole "what it takes" to even make it to a lot of races places in the US. The US is a big country with lots of land and not a ton of bike racers. Meaning distance, time, weird times of year for some races, etc......

I mean, folks who race Zwift......if you get shelled you can give up and try again tomorrow. There's so many races, for free, you never have to wakeup at 3am to eat, drive 2 hours somewhere, and then race at dawn at freezing temperatures for your one or two local road races per year. Or beg to get off work early to drive 2 hrs west to the warm weather crit series.

Real life racing takes some more commitment. I mean, duh.

There is a bit of a risk/reward ratio with your time commitment for IRL racing. You could prep for that race for months and get a flat and be walking a few miles or waiting forever on a ride to your car. Zwift.........try again and again, etc...

I'd rather eat it and do the limited amount of real life stuff I do and be happy with it. Zwift racing I tried and am just "meh". A real TT there's just the sense of flying over the ground. Like, down a little grade at over 30mph on your own power alone. Cool looking machines and kit. Win, lose, new PR, not new PR.........I still felt like I was flying at some point in the ride.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-22-21, 02:47 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
They're driving around it clockwise. They cross center on the straight road before even arriving at the cul de sac also.
Yeah, that's nuts.
Old 02-22-21, 02:48 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Zwift keeps my toes warm. That alone is worth the $15ish/mo. Everesting on 0% trainer difficulty is merely the icing on top.
Old 02-22-21, 02:57 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,642 Posts
E-sports on an Olympic level? Hmm, not so sure about that haha.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 02-22-21, 04:07 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Eh. Zwift is Zwift. Trying to compare any part of it to real racing is like trying to compare regular tennis vs table tennis. They are both something and people like one or the other or both but they're definitely not the same. Personally I like real racing.....err...racing IRL. eSports racing hold absolutely Zero appeal to me.

That said - no one is losing sleep over the fact that I don't dig eSports.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-22-21, 04:48 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts

That sounds bizarre.

How many people watch actual, real-life bike races? In the U.S.? It can't be that many. Isn't the channel that broadcasts bike racing closing this year?

And they think people will want to watch virtual bike racing with avatars?

I watch just about every bike race on Tizcycling, but I watched a life stream of a Zwift race for all of about 3 minutes before I had to turn it off because it was so uninteresting.

I can't imagine it would have a substantial viewing audience.
Old 02-22-21, 04:56 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I actually watched the livestream of a local (NYC) race. It was interesting, but it was more of the gee whiz factor and that I actually knew the people racing.
Old 02-22-21, 04:58 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Eh. Zwift is Zwift. Trying to compare any part of it to real racing is like trying to compare regular tennis vs table tennis. They are both something and people like one or the other or both but they're definitely not the same. Personally I like real racing.....err...racing IRL. eSports racing hold absolutely Zero appeal to me.

That said - no one is losing sleep over the fact that I don't dig eSports.

Likes For gsteinb:
Old 02-22-21, 05:21 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
And they think people will want to watch virtual bike racing with avatars?
My partner zwift races and watches zwift races.... so not only am I watching virtual racing, I'm watching low-level women's fields.

Not something I ever thought I would be doing.
Old 02-22-21, 05:37 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I'm going to throw out one here that given how big betting on Keirin is in Japan, maybe Zwift has an equivalent in other countries with the betting. Makes me wonder sometimes.
Old 02-22-21, 05:43 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I like this version of the gif better.......given that my grandfather's name was also Kowalski and he also lived in that part of Michigan early in life.

Old 02-22-21, 06:05 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I'm going to throw out one here that given how big betting on Keirin is in Japan, maybe Zwift has an equivalent in other countries with the betting. Makes me wonder sometimes.
I'd just be happy with more velodromes in the US and sport book betting allowed at them.

OK I'd be happy with an indoor velodrome in Chicago with legal gambling on the races now that it was legalized in Illinois....

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-22-21, 06:44 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I'd just be happy with more velodromes in the US and sport book betting allowed at them.

OK I'd be happy with an indoor velodrome in Chicago with legal gambling on the races now that it was legalized in Illinois....
I would do all track things not full on sprint event if we had one closer than Rock Hill. That's just a lot of investment in something to only do once a year begging for time at a birthday or something. Maybe once kids are a bit older in HS or something.

There's a local paved car track that's really short in our county but bet the pavement would be too crap to do track racing on. Plus, no "lines" obviously.

We have the bans on sports betting and possibly prohibition (does the timing line up there?) also to thank for the failure of American track cycling. Madison was named for well........Madison Sq. Gardens. Known more at the time for track cycling than basket ball.

What a damned shame it went that way instead. Could you imagine?

If I won the lotto........
Old 02-22-21, 08:15 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,642 Posts
Track rules. I'm a member of SDVA and have had some track time since the pandemic started, mostly pursuit work testing out my new bars b4 I put them on my TT rig. Some time on the motor going fast to get used to them (coach's hours). I really look forward to routine Tuesday night racing starting again, whenever that is...

I would also like to get into some IP and TP stuff eventually too, but I'd need some better gear to do that for states. I'm sure I could borrow equipment for it at least.
Old 02-23-21, 09:33 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I watch just about every bike race on Tizcycling, but I watched a life stream of a Zwift race for all of about 3 minutes before I had to turn it off because it was so uninteresting.

I can't imagine it would have a substantial viewing audience.
I tried watching the Zwift World Championship a few weeks (months?) ago. I did not find it engaging at all. It was very anticlimactic. The race was just over. I didn't even realize they were on the final sprint.
Old 02-23-21, 09:34 AM
topflightpro

Track is awesome. It's worth the drive.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 02-23-21, 11:42 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Track rules. I'm a member of SDVA and have had some track time since the pandemic started, mostly pursuit work testing out my new bars b4 I put them on my TT rig. Some time on the motor going fast to get used to them (coach's hours). I really look forward to routine Tuesday night racing starting again, whenever that is...

I would also like to get into some IP and TP stuff eventually too, but I'd need some better gear to do that for states. I'm sure I could borrow equipment for it at least.
We're starting up timed events this season. I am hoping it meshes back into some mass start by early fall but based on the feedback from the committee I am not confident that will happen. They're switching back to ATRA for this year mostly. USA Cycling is too expensive they say.

We took a trip to Detroit a few years back after Lexus opened. It was my son's first time on a track bike and on a track and it was Lexus. I prepped him for about 20 minutes before the trip. great dad I know. When Dale Hughes was teaching him via a clinic it was going well. Then Dale got a call and I wasn't exactly paying attention. by the time I realized what was going on Dale was running and yelling "PEDAL PEDAL PEDAL!"
3 year anniversary of that was yesterday. Showed my son a picture. "Remember Detroit?" "Yeah. I really left my MARK on that track. Literally."

"You want to go back sometime when all this settles out a bit?" "N------ well...may-Sure. That'd actually be fun."

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-23-21, 12:01 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Track is awesome. It's worth the drive.
I love track. I agree it's totally worth the drive. I just find it's not worth all the standing around.
Old 02-23-21, 12:03 PM
topflightpro

Some time on the motor going fast to get used to them (coach's hours).
Behind or in front?

Riding behind is easy and fun. But it's an entirely different experience when you're in front and the moto driver has his hand on your back and is pushing you up to speed.

I love track. I agree it's totally worth the drive. I just find it's not worth all the standing around.
That's why I sit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.