Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer solo rides to group rides, and why?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you prefer solo rides to group rides, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-21, 06:44 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Solo. I can ride at the pace I want. Go where I want. Stop and take photos if I feel so inclined. Etc.

That said, I don't mind doing group rides from time to time. But given the choice, I'd pick solo.
Old 03-01-21, 07:41 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
In the Audax world, the Danes are renowned for their excellent group riding skills. Smooth, steady, strong. Catch a Danish wheel and you'll have a great segment. Americans are known as ****** in a group. Can't ride a straight line, unsteady pace, dangerous, competitive rather that cooperative, blowing up pacelines. That's consistent with results here for preferring solo riding, and our culture of individualism.
Old 03-02-21, 06:43 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Hardly ever in a group , save for Eroica Ca. . I ride solo unless I am with my wife.
Old 03-02-21, 06:49 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
In the Audax world, the Danes are renowned for their excellent group riding skills. Smooth, steady, strong. Catch a Danish wheel and you'll have a great segment. Americans are known as ****** in a group. Can't ride a straight line, unsteady pace, dangerous, competitive rather that cooperative, blowing up pacelines. That's consistent with results here for preferring solo riding, and our culture of individualism.
Silly question, as it isn't my world............how exactly is the audax world related to pacelines or rotations? I thought audax and randonneuring were often days done without seeing a soul?

Next, even though I often have negative things to say about group rides or hammer rides around here, I'll have to make a small defense here. In the US, bike racing and bike sport in general isn't nearly as popular as Denmark. So, it's not just blowing up pacelines being selfish or competitive. We don't have as many groups and clubs. So folks likely do ride alone more often and don't develop the skills.

Next point against it being a "culture" thing here is that the Danes are a very track cycling heavy country. I could imagine this drives folks to be able to well...........literally and figuratively hold their line.

If I had to fault local group rides and hammer rides, it is simply because they lack an identity and leadership. Nobody ever owns them and sets the rules. Nobody before each ride really stands up and says "this is the XYZ group, we do 30mi at a 20mph pace, rotating line, steady, all together". They don't do roll call to see if they have a new rider with them. When you don't have any set ground rules for a ride and no ride leader............yeah, chaos may reign. Even hammer rides need this. A veteran of the hammer ride needs to stand up before the ride and say "welcome to.........we're here to have fun and workout, not die......so xyz will not be tolerated.......etc....". Nobody does that.

I used to like my in town ride I could do with folks and almost leave from my house to do. I stopped going. Nobody ever took leadership to say "this is what we do here". So, it devolved into people doing whatever they wanted and nobody liking it. Nobody said to not attack, so they do. Nobody ever said what the regroup spots are, or if there are any.......so if folks up front had a green light they took it. Then everyone would get angry. All it took was the leadership to own the ride and set forth the standards. That's all. I don't think the folks on the ride showed up to hijack it on purpose. If you don't know what to do, what are you supposed to ride like?
Old 03-02-21, 06:55 AM
skenry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
If it's a race or an event, I'll ride with other people. Otherwise, so probably 95% of the time, I ride alone.
I like it because I hate most people. I'm around people at work, but they pay me.
Likes For skenry:
Old 03-02-21, 07:30 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbyx
Does anyone out there prefer solo rides, and avoids group rides. Why do you have that preference?
Less people on solo rides
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 03-02-21, 07:31 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Solo. I don't know anyone that likes going on long rides like I do, and I prefer to go at my own pace anyway.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 03-02-21, 12:36 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
I find the conversation is better solo, and I'm always impressed with my performance.
Old 03-02-21, 02:05 PM
TeamJAB

Bikes: CoMotion Carrera, Salsa Warbird, BH Quartz, Santa Cruz Tallboy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Solo or on the tandem with my wife, still by ourselves. Too many squirrel like riders out there to be in a group.
Old 03-02-21, 02:25 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
when I ride solo, the only person i need to keep up with is myself. I try to drop the dummy, but there they are, blowing the red light trying to catch back up.
Old 03-02-21, 02:27 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,085 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
If I had to fault local group rides and hammer rides, it is simply because they lack an identity and leadership. Nobody ever owns them and sets the rules. Nobody before each ride really stands up and says "this is the XYZ group, we do 30mi at a 20mph pace, rotating line, steady, all together". They don't do roll call to see if they have a new rider with them. When you don't have any set ground rules for a ride and no ride leader............yeah, chaos may reign. Even hammer rides need this. A veteran of the hammer ride needs to stand up before the ride and say "welcome to.........we're here to have fun and workout, not die......so xyz will not be tolerated.......etc....". Nobody does that.
In my experience with these types of rides (which were a large part of my training diet in my racer-boy days) there is a fair amount of self-policing going on, even without a defined leader. Experienced riders of the group will call out riders who are riding dangerously or doing things that are out of character for the type of ride, and direct them on the correct behavior (sometimes more tactfully than others).
Old 03-02-21, 02:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by TeamJAB
Solo or on the tandem with my wife, still by ourselves. Too many squirrel like riders out there to be in a group.
Another option...Find better riders to ride with. The cooperative efficient effort of a tight pack rolling easily along at 25+ mph where everyone is comfortable, confident, and capable riding close together is a magical part of the cycling experience (IMO).
Old 03-02-21, 04:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
In my experience with these types of rides (which were a large part of my training diet in my racer-boy days) there is a fair amount of self-policing going on, even without a defined leader. Experienced riders of the group will call out riders who are riding dangerously or doing things that are out of character for the type of ride, and direct them on the correct behavior (sometimes more tactfully than others).
Agreed. That's how it's always worked on those types of rides I do here.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-02-21, 08:01 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Silly question, as it isn't my world............how exactly is the audax world related to pacelines or rotations? I thought audax and randonneuring were often days done without seeing a soul?
Audax is a big tent. Pacelines happen, sometimes for many hours. As for events, they range from a solo permanent to quite large events.
Old 03-03-21, 01:23 AM
simoncyrene

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I Prefer Solo Trip

I like to go on solo bike trips, once a week normally on weekends. I make a list of my trip essentials first, arrange them and go for decided place. In solo trip you can go for more distant places and it help me in thinking, like we do in walking.
Old 03-03-21, 01:45 AM
Goofball

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 36 Posts
When riding solo I am a sleek, sexy, spandex-clad stallion on my way to winning another Tour de France
when riding with others I realise I am a fat, slow old slob 😭
Old 03-03-21, 09:31 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think you'll find most people in the world are quite happy riding in 20° weather.
Anything below 60 degrees is not fit for man nor beast.
Old 03-03-21, 09:37 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
While I like both, if I had to chose, it would be solo. When riding solo you get to make ALL the decisions. When I ride solo I usually have one of my routes in mind. But being solo I can make an instant decision to depart from that route if I see something that makes me want to change the route. I dont have to confer with anyone.
Old 03-03-21, 10:30 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by simoncyrene
I like to go on solo bike trips, once a week normally on weekends. I make a list of my trip essentials first, arrange them and go for decided place. In solo trip you can go for more distant places and it help me in thinking, like we do in walking.
to BF
Old 03-03-21, 10:58 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Goofball
When riding solo I am a sleek, sexy, spandex-clad stallion on my way to winning another Tour de France
when riding with others I realise I am a fat, slow old slob 😭
This may be the most compelling argument on this topic so far.
Old 03-03-21, 11:01 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
it is easier to talk to yourself when you are alone
Old 03-03-21, 11:27 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
It also makes it easier to shout at clouds.
Old 03-03-21, 11:56 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It also makes it easier to shout at clouds.
don't interrupt me when I talking to myself! that's just RUDE!
Old 03-03-21, 01:54 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
Conversing when group riding is always enlightening and cordial when done with me, myself and I. Never a political or religious disagreement and never insulted when called >>>

Old 03-03-21, 04:08 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
With me it depends on my mood. I do like group rides for the socialization and camaraderie. But I also like solo rides because I can set the route, go at my own pace, and don't have to hurry up for or stop & wait for other riders. If I want to stop and take pictures in the middle of the ride I don't have to hold anyone else up. Plus the solitude helps me clear my mind and get rid of things I may be worrying about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.