Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting and sweat and body odor.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 08:21 PM
PastorJim

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Schwinn Sidewinder 26" Men's (SRAM Max Pro) & Trident TW Bents

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a hard time believing everyone who cycles to work has showers available at work. For you who don't how do you solve the sweat and body odor issue?
Old 05-09-19, 08:55 PM
realperson

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Raleigh One Way, Gary Fisher Aquila

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If you showered in the morning, then there shouldn't be an odor issue, even if you sweat a lot. If your ride is more than 3 miles I would suggest a change of clothes. When you get to work go into the bathroom stall and then change and wipe down with some cold wet wipes. You can use unscented baby wipes, or just use the bathroom paper towels. That's what I do.
Likes For realperson:
Old 05-09-19, 09:06 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
It's their problem, not mine. They should be happy I don't take a crap in their cowboy boots.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 05-09-19, 11:55 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
1. Pedal slower
2. Bring some extra deodorant
3. Have a cool down period before settling in at your desk

My face tends to get really hot, but that is the main extent of sweating. It seems like I get extra, extra sweaty if I go into the office too fast. Taking a 10 minute walk seems to get me mostly cooled down. I'll wash my face, apply lotion etc, and add another layer of deodorant. As long as I have an effective deodorant that is good enough for the 5 miles I have. I've been trying out some new natural deodorants lately, so reapplying is necessary. Back when I used antiperspirant, it was fine....
Old 05-10-19, 12:22 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I wear street clothes and don't have an issues. Every job that I have had since finishing studies has had a shower.

As an aside, people stink in Europe and change much less frequently than in the US. I'm OK with that.
Likes For acidfast7:
Old 05-10-19, 05:09 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I give 10 minutes for cool down. My kit goes into the sink on warm days and then hung to dry. Anyone can bathe from a bucket, so don’t need a shower, just use the sink. I carry deodorant with me. I don’t have to be super polished, so that is plenty.
Old 05-10-19, 07:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
start clean & when you get to the office there's less to do. when I bike commuted (17 miles ea. way) w/o a work shower, I showered at home. when I got to the office I sink washed with a soapy washcloth, did the hair w diluted shampoo in a big plastic cup & rinsed the same way. it required getting up pretty early & carrying more stuff, including a towel. thanks for the reminder cuz I've been thinking about trying it where I am now (22 miles ea. way)
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-10-19, 07:38 AM
Whib

Bikes: Giant Fathom 1, Giant Escape Disc 1, Co-op ADV 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
It's their problem, not mine. They should be happy I don't take a crap in their cowboy boots.

Originally Posted by acidfast7
... As an aside, people stink in Europe and change much less frequently than in the US. I'm OK with that.

Originally Posted by realperson
If you showered in the morning, then there shouldn't be an odor issue, even if you sweat a lot. If your ride is more than 3 miles I would suggest a change of clothes. When you get to work go into the bathroom stall and then change and wipe down with some cold wet wipes. You can use unscented baby wipes, or just use the bathroom paper towels. That's what I do.
Yep, baby wipes, extra deodorant, a change of clothes, and a bathroom stall.

Last edited by Whib; 05-10-19 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-10-19, 07:57 AM
RonE

Bikes: 2010 Giant Rapid - Trek 820 - 1968 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I live in Florida, so it is almost always hot and humid. My commute is about 17 miles each way. There is no shower at work, so I shower in the morning before leaving home.

The perspiration normally pours off of me while I am riding. For about the last mile I slow my speed down considerably to start my cool-down. When I arrive at work, I let myself cool down some more in the air conditioning, try to dry off, apply deodorant and change clothes. Nobody has ever complained about the way I smell, but maybe they are just trying to be polite.

I commute by bicycle 2 to 3 times a week, so I bring fresh clothes on the days that I drive.
Old 05-10-19, 08:06 AM
josephjhaney

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My ride is 20 each way, I'm in PA so we get the hot and humid, and the freezing cold. I actually have more sweating issues near the end of the winter than in the summer, most times going to work I sweat but it evaporates, when I get here I take 10 mins or so and sit at my desk in my bike stuff. Once I stop sweating I grab the baby wipes and the no stink stick, head to the bathroom, change, hang up the bike clothes, then do computer stuff till the end of the day where I reverse the process, skipping the baby wipes and no stink stick steps of course. I have a pack that I use to swap out clothes as needed.

Joe
Old 05-10-19, 08:16 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
Starting off clean scrubbed & freshly showered is a really great place to start.
A decent anti-perspirant is a must.
Synthetic fiber clothes that breath well like basketball shorts & soccer jerseys (or full cycling kit, if that's your thing) and if necessary a second set regular office clothes to change into.
Regulating your effort to keep core temp down to prevent sweating to begin with. It would be easy to have an inbound to office heart rate limit to keep things in check. Say, 120 beats per minute or some other suitably low effort level...You can blast home at any effort level you want.
Another, trick is to have a pair of shoes that live at the office and 5 sets of shirts, pants, & under garmets that come in on Monday & go home on Friday can lessen the training load for 8 of your 10 weekly trips.
Old 05-10-19, 09:42 AM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
My experience in Phoenix summer (and I'm sure in GA where the original poster is from) even riding slow the entire ride isn't going to stop the sweat. When it's 90 and humid a 7am even the most leisurely of commutes will drench you in sweat.
Start off clean and when you arrive a wet paper towel in the bathroom stall, change of clothes, and fresh deodorant will take care of things.
Old 05-10-19, 09:50 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadKill
My experience in Phoenix summer (and I'm sure in GA where the original poster is from) even riding slow the entire ride isn't going to stop the sweat. When it's 90 and humid a 7am even the most leisurely of commutes will drench you in sweat.
Start off clean and when you arrive a wet paper towel in the bathroom stall, change of clothes, and fresh deodorant will take care of things.
Correct. Fortunately I have always had shower at work, except for one year in Sept/Oct, but it was cooler then in the AM - I did the shower first and baby wipes at work trick. Another year the shower went out mid summer, but I showered using the outdoor faucet on side of building, stripped down to just shorts and washed off.
Old 05-10-19, 11:28 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
This get me almost as clean enough:
  • Find a air-conditioned restroom. Go to sink and wet a small towel.
  • Go to toilet, close door, strip down naked, and sit on toilet to cool down for about 10 minutes or so (surf BF while you wait)
  • when body is cooled down, use wet towel to wipe the sweat off whole body.

I find that keeping arm pit and pub hair well shaved also helps alleviate BO.

I learned from Muslim friend a trick. They wash their butt over the toilet with plastic water bottle.
Use this philosophy to wash arm pit over the toilet, or over the sink if noone is around.
Wow, this might be the most personal, intimate and revealing post I have ever seen on these forums.
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 05-10-19, 11:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Sponge bath in the Loo.
Old 05-10-19, 11:37 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
  • Go to toilet, close door, strip down naked, and sit on toilet to cool down for about 10 minutes or so (surf BF while you wait

I find that keeping arm pit and pub hair well shaved also helps alleviate BO.

And today I learned a lot more about my fellow Bike Forum members than I expected to.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 05-10-19, 11:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

I don't shave my armpits but I do trim the length of that hair using my standard electric man~scaping shears
Old 05-10-19, 11:48 AM
rumrunn6

best place I ever worked was because they had a shower & a boiler room. I was able to hang everything in the boiler room, out of sight, to dry. & one of the owners (may he rest in peace) was a cyclist. he offered to get me my own locker to put in the boiler room. miss him
Old 05-10-19, 11:55 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I agree with others that starting clean is the trick to not smelling.

I used to commute 7-8 miles each way in hot/humid (Mobile, AL). I started clean, changed clothes, washed my face, and sprayed off with some natural body deodorant (which was basically witch hazel and some non-offensive gender neutral scent.)
Old 05-10-19, 05:21 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Commuting and sweat and body odor
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have shower facilities and can store clean clothes at work, though usually I wear scrub shirts and pants, I don’t have much close interaction with staff, and they would let me know if I offended. But here’s my unique contribution.

I shower in the evening or the morning before the ride, and as my deodorant I use 91% rubbing alcohol. This is used to clean the skin prior to drawing blood and is an effective bactericide. It leaves no scent and evaporates quickly and refreshingly. It can also be used to clean “down there” to prevent lesions from the saddle.

If I have to wear regular clothes though, I always want to take a shower.
Deodorant alternatives

…You can carry a small amount as needed for any trip and just apply it with a cloth or paper towel. There are ladies at my job who would let me know if it didn't work, and I've not had any complaints in years.
Originally Posted by wgscott

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-10-19 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added quote by wgscott
Old 05-10-19, 06:06 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Alcohol, especially in high concentration, will dry out the skin badly with repeated topical use.
Old 05-10-19, 07:08 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
As an aside, people stink in Europe and change much less frequently than in the US. I'm OK with that.
We Americans made BO (or just fear of it) a source of profit. Yay.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-10-19, 07:29 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
…I shower in the evening or the morning before the ride, and as my deodorant I use 91% rubbing alcohol. This is used to clean the skin prior to drawing blood and is an effective bactericide.

It leaves no scent and evaporates quickly and refreshingly. It can also be used to clean “down there” to prevent lesions from the saddle. .
Deodorant alternatives… There are ladies at my job who would let me know if it didn't work, and I've not had any complaints in years. [
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Alcohol, especially in high concentration, will dry out the skin badly with repeated topical use
Originally Posted by noglider
All of these tips are very good. But I would recommend against alcohol.

If you use it, try witch hazel. It has the same drying and cooling effect, but it doesn't dry your skin. Sometimes I put it on when I'm at home just to cool off, as we don't have A/C at home. It works great.
Can I just use it until I need glasses?
Old 05-10-19, 07:57 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
We Americans made BO (or just fear of it) a source of profit. Yay.
There is no AC in Europe, so in the summer, people are ripe, which is OK. Also, clothing is more expensive for the same items but we make less money (on average) so stuff gets washed less frequently.
Old 05-10-19, 08:14 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I bike an hour each way so generally fairly soaked. We have showers but I occasionally go to a Doctors appt on my way and I'll bring a facecloth. A quick rinse in the washroom, clean t-shirt and I'm good to go. I'd do the same if I didn't have a shower at work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.