Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

While you were riding....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-21, 11:13 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts

Got out for a ride today. Left at noon and had a great fat bike ride in the snow. I was really in my happy space for over 3 hours.

Turned on the radio on the way home at around 4 PM, and learned.... well, you know, attempted subversion of our democracy and all that. Guess we lost those “peaceful transition of power” bragging rights after today.

Made me think of a story I read of some folks who were rafting in on the Colorado with no cell service for weeks just as the pandemic started. They emerged cold turkey to a world on lockdown, and no toilet paper.

So what big events have you missed while out riding?
Old 01-07-21, 04:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Michael Jackson’s and Farrah Fawcett’s deaths. The GF and I were in Glacier National Park for a couple of days. No cell service. We saw a newspaper when we left the park through the west entrance. It was the last day of the tour, and we had a hotel booked that night, so we got caught up by watching TV.
Old 01-07-21, 06:57 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
When I was in my 20s, I often traveled for weeks at a time in my pickup truck, doing a lot of hiking and backpacking along the way, often far away from any radio reception. And cell phones were but a sci-fi fantasy back then.

One night, sleeping under the stars somewhere in southern Utah, it dawned on me: something big could happen — say, a relative could die — and I wouldn’t know about it for quite some time.

I rolled over and went back to sleep. Nothing I can do about those things. They happen whether I know about them or not.
Old 01-07-21, 08:58 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
So what big events have you missed while out riding?
If it's 'Fear of Missing Out' vs. disengagement I vote for time spent in "happy space".

Likes For BobbyG:
Old 01-07-21, 08:59 AM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts

I was on my morning commute (20+ miles) when the Towers were hit. Walked in front door and first thing I heard was "Did you hear what happened?" Then I received calls from both my kids before I could get changed.
Old 01-07-21, 09:05 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
If it's 'Fear of Missing Out'....
It's not
Old 01-07-21, 09:43 AM
mark_schiess

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So many events missed this year
Likes For mark_schiess:
Old 01-07-21, 10:11 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Wall

I was teaching a multi nationality class in the USA.
I asked the German in the class “what he thought of the Wall”
He replied “All countries have their walls, just some you can’t see”

I got to break the news.. “your wall came down yesterday”
He didn’t believe me, he suspected a translation issue, I had to describe bricks on the floor and people climbing over them.
He ran to phone home, still in disbelief.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 01-07-21, 10:29 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
On a Friday night back in 1994, I went to be really early - like 7PM - because I was getting up at some crazy dark hour to leave on a road trip. So while I slept, millions of people were glued to the TV watching O.J. Simpson's "Low Speed Chase" through the streets of LA.
Old 01-07-21, 10:59 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
If I had been trying to get updated with the latest news and missed my bike ride, then I would have missed something important to me. I have not had TV reception since I bought and moved into my present home, almost 6 years. I rarely have the radio on in my car, and now, do not drive that much anyway. I never go to news or social media sites. I believe I have missed nothing that I regret missing. It is kind of amazing what little effect being up to date on all that stuff has on ones everyday life.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 01-07-21, 12:02 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
On a Friday night back in 1994, I went to be really early - like 7PM - because I was getting up at some crazy dark hour to leave on a road trip. So while I slept, millions of people were glued to the TV watching O.J. Simpson's "Low Speed Chase" through the streets of LA.
Hah, I was riding near his house that day. Helicopters were flying over and stuff, I had no clue what was happening until I got to the trail head and my buddies told me ht was being pursued. We went for a ride.
Old 01-07-21, 09:17 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Those rides are deliberate, yet I find myself in the know.

Need to take longer rides it seems.
Old 01-07-21, 09:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
If I had been trying to get updated with the latest news and missed my bike ride, then I would have missed something important to me. I have not had TV reception since I bought and moved into my present home, almost 6 years. I rarely have the radio on in my car, and now, do not drive that much anyway. I never go to news or social media sites. I believe I have missed nothing that I regret missing. It is kind of amazing what little effect being up to date on all that stuff has on ones everyday life.
There’s something to be said for that. BITD (1999) I spent close to 4 months on a bike tour. Rarely read a newspaper or watched TV. Didn’t really miss it all that much. A chair with a back was more of a treat.

The biggest event I remember hearing about was the Kennedy kid being killed in the plane crash. Our group of 13 spent the weekend in a hostel in Minneapolis that had a TV.
Old 01-07-21, 09:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Can't think of any significant event -- in terms of regional, national or global significance -- that I missed while riding a bike.

Most of the memorable events and tragedies I can think of, I heard about during commutes -- driving, train, etc. That includes the space shuttle Challenger explosion, 9/11, many others, including personal losses such as deaths in the family. For some reason I usually heard about those during a commute or at work.

The only alerts I set for my phone to notify me during bike rides, walks, jogging, etc., are for weather and national emergencies. There isn't much else I'd really need to know about during the brief period I have to decompress on the bike or walking. I've disabled most news alerts on my phones, permanently. I check the news a couple of times a day anyway.
Old 01-07-21, 09:56 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
This x 100.

Most of what is passed off as "news" is just entertainment presented by people with nice haircuts. And the vast majority of it has no impact on our lives.
Old 01-07-21, 11:22 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
I was spending a week riding from Amsterdam to Paris and didn't pay any attention to the news, turns out I was riding through one of the biggest heat waves to hit Europe in something like a century with a huge death count from heat stroke and I came back to NY hours after the power was restored to most of the state from a power failure in Canada that effected the whole grid. Starting in Amsterdam meant I was spending the whole ride completely stoned, bought lots of good stuff and had a smoke at bed time and did a wake and bake in the morning. Although I did drink plenty of water I mostly traveled on Fanta and munchies. Would do it again.
Old 01-08-21, 09:52 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Pridedog
I was on my morning commute (20+ miles) when the Towers were hit. Walked in front door and first thing I heard was "Did you hear what happened?" Then I received calls from both my kids before I could get changed.
gonna be tough to top this one
Old 01-08-21, 09:53 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I was spending a week riding from Amsterdam to Paris and didn't pay any attention to the news, turns out I was riding through one of the biggest heat waves to hit Europe in something like a century with a huge death count from heat stroke and I came back to NY hours after the power was restored to most of the state from a power failure in Canada that effected the whole grid. Starting in Amsterdam meant I was spending the whole ride completely stoned, bought lots of good stuff and had a smoke at bed time and did a wake and bake in the morning. Although I did drink plenty of water I mostly traveled on Fanta and munchies. Would do it again.
I do it again with you
Old 01-08-21, 10:17 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
This x 100.

Most of what is passed off as "news" is just entertainment presented by people with nice haircuts. And the vast majority of it has no impact on our lives.
When they started putting viral videos - water-skiing squirrels, piano-playing cats, etc - on the national news, the message became clear. It had become an entertainment show.
Old 01-08-21, 02:28 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
I got back from a ride & found out about the Oklahoma bombing.
Old 01-08-21, 02:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Not riding, but...
I was on an internship for college at a nice golf course in the Chicago area back in '01 and was golfing with some staff on 9/11. It was an awesome morning- quiet, crisp, and some leaves but not too many. We made the turn and heard about the first tower, but at the time thought it was just some crazy awful accident. Halfway thru the back 9 our phones were buzzing left and right because more became known.

I rarely seek out news, so I may have missed something while riding and not even known. Ignorance is bliss.
Old 01-08-21, 05:10 PM
notthe1freeman
Bike Bum Extrordinare

Bikes: 1990s specialized hard rock ultra

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Nothing...my best life events minus my children's births...I was riding!
Old 01-10-21, 10:13 AM
Aroyobob

Bikes: Trek 460, Trek 1420, Schwin High Sierra

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
When I got back from my ride yesterday I learned that Harry and Meghan have sworn off social medial.