Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Long Cyclist-Only Paths

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Long Cyclist-Only Paths

Old 02-09-21, 08:24 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 330 Posts
Long Cyclist-Only Paths

On one of our local multi-use paths, usage has increased to the point we're having consequential pedestrian-cyclist conflicts.

I'm looking for examples of cyclist-only paths, 5 miles or longer, without any street crossings or stops.

I'm familiar with Riverparks in Tulsa OK where there is a parallel cyclist track that does at times merge with the pedestrian track. I don't know how it is perceived locally, but my experience with it has been positive.

I remember seeing separate paths in Calgary AB near the central business district.

I'm particularly interested in whether there are any cyclist-only 5+ mile no-stop paths that aren't right next to a MUP.

Thank you.
Old 02-09-21, 08:38 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I'm not aware of any that are cycle only. That seems, unfortunately, like something very few cities would do. I have been on some (around the Seattle area) that were marked such that peds were supposed to stay within the lines and bikes within their lines, but we all know how effective paint is....
Old 02-09-21, 08:44 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
I’ve seen potential conflicts avoided by the cyclist riding away whose cause would’ve been the absence of the old “slower traffic please keep to the right” signage.

we’ve got three groups that tend to occupy the center: racers in training, phone walkers, oblivious teens.

signage. Visually agreed upon social code. It’s not hard.
Old 02-09-21, 09:04 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
The Veloway in Austin, Texas. It's actually only about 3 miles long. Bikes and inline skates (there are a lot of speed skaters who train there) only. no peds allowed, although sometimes people walk it anyways and get heckled the whole time.

the ironic thing about the Veloway is that, until the past year, it's nearly impossible to get there on a bicycle. You needed to drive there and park your car. they recently added some "safe" bike lanes and paved a path so there is more than one way go pedal there, but it was effectively inaccessible to bikes until recently.
Old 02-09-21, 09:33 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Seems the city or county or whatever municipal entity that administers the path would open itself up to all sorts of guff from the citizenry if they tried to keep some groups out. So they keep them open to all.
Old 02-09-21, 10:55 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
The Veloway in Austin, Texas. It's actually only about 3 miles long....
Thank you. That is precisely the kind of infrastructure I'm searching for as examples.
Old 02-09-21, 11:00 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
We have a path that runs along a canal that's technically open to everyone, but it's fairly remote, boring, and only has a few entrance points, so I've only ever seen riders on it. During the summer, it's the course for the local weekly TT series.

https://www.strava.com/segments/5408396

Last edited by caloso; 02-09-21 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-09-21, 01:22 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Except for on-street lanes, I don't know of any 'cyclist only' paths.

The great thing is, if you go 5 miles away from the nearest trailhead on any trail, you will not see many pedestrians.

Quebec, Canada has a cycle path network called 'Route Verte' which is primarily used by cyclists, and while other users are allowed, they are few in many places..
Old 02-09-21, 02:24 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
That's why you never hear (except slip-ups) the term Bike Path any longer. They're called MUPs, because everyone knows you can't keep non-cyclists off.
Old 02-09-21, 02:32 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
We rode the Eurovelo 6 in Burgundy in 2019. Much of the way it runs on the old canal tow paths. Since they were on both sides of the canals, those clever French folks have converted one side to be the pedestrian side and the other is the bicycle side. They have posted a speed limit of 30 Km/Hr, (18.65) on the cycle side which is pretty easy for a touring tandem to exceed, but no one ever gave us any trouble.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 02-09-21, 03:25 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
That's why you never hear (except slip-ups) the term Bike Path any longer. They're called MUPs, because everyone knows you can't keep non-cyclists off.
That term is commonly used in Quebec. The Montreal area where I live has many paths reserved exclusively for bicycles which have such heavy traffic that pedestrians steer well clear of them. Many have adjacent footpaths
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 02-09-21, 03:50 PM
work4bike

Originally Posted by alcjphil
That term is commonly used in Quebec. The Montreal area where I live has many paths reserved exclusively for bicycles which have such heavy traffic that pedestrians steer well clear of them. Many have adjacent footpaths
I imagine it is used in heavily used bike paths by cyclists; however, I've yet to see one, other than the Veloway shown in Austin, but I don't really count that, since it doesn't really go anywhere. I'm sure places in Dutch don't use the MUP term, but they also have their own problems with bike traffic. I'll stick to riding the roadways

Old 02-09-21, 04:56 PM
noimagination

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
I think you're chasing a chimera. And, I fundamentally disagree with trying to exclude others from using bike paths/bikeways/MUPs as they see fit just to make life more convenient for cyclists.
- Autos, at times, have to share the road with trucks, motorcycles, cyclists, pedestrians, trains, (trolleys/streetcars/RR crossings), buses, other autos, etc.
- Cyclists, at times, have to share MUPs/bike ways with pedestrians, skaters, pedestrians, kids with training wheels, dog walkers, other cyclists, etc.
It is ironic when cyclists insist on their right to ride on the road (at times inconveniencing drivers), and then don't want to share bikeways/MUPs/etc. with other users (because of the inconvenience it causes them, at times).

You can probably cycle as fast as you want on the road, with the effect that you may cause drivers to have to slow down around you, and at the risk of getting hit by a car.
You can cycle on a bikeway/MUP/etc., with the effect that you'll have to slow down around pedestrians and other users, at reduced risk of getting hit by a car and at enhanced risk that you'll hit a pedestrian.

Surprise!! Other people exist, and they are as real as you are, with goals and desires that may conflict with yours.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 02-09-21, 05:21 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
It would be hard to find anywhere you could have a path 5 miles long that didn't cross roads unless you're in a very rural area.
Old 02-09-21, 06:28 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I rode many mountain bike trails (single track) in Arizona that were for cycling only. Each state park seemed to have one.
-if you want pavement for cyclists only, I'm afraid you will need to visit your local Velodrome.
- I think it comes down to taxes. Walkers, runners, dog walkers, stroller pushers, etc are paying taxes for that paved surface just like we are.
Old 02-09-21, 07:37 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM
I’ve seen potential conflicts avoided by the cyclist riding away whose cause would’ve been the absence of the old “slower traffic please keep to the right” signage.

we’ve got three groups that tend to occupy the center: racers in training, phone walkers, oblivious teens.

signage. Visually agreed upon social code. It’s not hard.
You wouldn't think so, but humanity seems to have a lot of trouble with "social code"...
Old 02-09-21, 10:44 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
Trexler has a crit course which has a slow bike lane, a fast bike lane and a separate pedestrian lane thats a few miles long. Once on it you don't cross any roads or have any stops and if the pedestrians stay where its designated they shouldn't cross your path. Closest thing I've ever seen to what you're referring to. Only other is sections of the NY trail that were rural enough that you just didn't see pedestrians and there could be well more then 5 miles between road crossings, I think I've seen as much as 10 miles but I suspect some of the western stretches I haven't done might have longer being more rural.
Old 02-09-21, 11:25 PM
flangehead

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Trexler has a crit course which has a slow bike lane, a fast bike lane and a separate pedestrian lane thats a few miles long.....
I tried finding "Trexler" on Google Maps and the term "trexler long island" without success. Could you provide a better identifier? Thanks!
Old 02-09-21, 11:31 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
I tried finding "Trexler" on Google Maps and the term "trexler long island" without success. Could you provide a better identifier? Thanks!
Trexlertown, PA; a nice little cycling mecca. They've got a velodrome, a crit course, somewhere around 80 miles of contiguous rail trail and amazing country roads with lots of hills and little traffic. The course is across the street from the velodrome.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 02-10-21, 07:50 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
I think you're chasing a chimera. And, I fundamentally disagree with trying to exclude others from using bike paths/bikeways/MUPs as they see fit just to make life more convenient for cyclists.

Surprise!! Other people exist, and they are as real as you are, with goals and desires that may conflict with yours.
I'm not sure the OP was looking to exclude other users from the path; he was just asking if such bike-only paths exist. Maybe he is considering a move?
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 02-10-21, 08:33 AM
work4bike

If the OP is looking for a move, I recommend not falling for the ******** that Amsterdam is some kind of cycling paradise. If you do a Youtube/Google search of cycling places, Amsterdam is always portrayed as a cycling mecca. However, they have many of the same problems as other places, especially pedestrians getting in the way, as shown in the below video

And this guy gives a good firsthand account of what it's really like cycling in Amsterdam https://www.bikelaw.com/2019/05/amst...ling-paradise/

Excerpt:
Bicycle utopia was what I expected. What Amsterdam turned out to be was altogether different, a bicycle dystopia.

For me, my wife and my 11 year old daughter, biking in Amsterdam was a stressful, chaotic, generally unpleasant experience. I expected carefree, but what I experienced over a week of riding in the city was widespread carelessness among a large number of biking Amsterdammers. Frankly, I saw more bad biking behavior than I’ve seen in my many years of biking in the United States. Many people biked while staring at their mobile phones, paying little heed to pedestrians and other people on bikes.

Last edited by cb400bill; 02-11-21 at 07:51 AM. Reason: do not change the spelling of censored words
Old 02-10-21, 09:44 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Except for on-street lanes, I don't know of any 'cyclist only' paths.

The great thing is, if you go 5 miles away from the nearest trailhead on any trail, you will not see many pedestrians.

Quebec, Canada has a cycle path network called 'Route Verte' which is primarily used by cyclists, and while other users are allowed, they are few in many places..
This is true of many MUPs, which is nice. I've ridden most of the Loop around Tucson (although they now finished it, after I moved away), and there are stretches where pedestrians and families are common. I'm ok with slowing for a couple miles here and there. But there are long stretches (the loop is ~120 miles now) where you won't see anyone except other long distance bike riders for miles! I do want to take my velo to Tucson and ride the whole loop now.
Old 02-10-21, 01:53 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
There are some rails to trails paths in my state that were created mainly with the intention of cyclists. They aren't exclusively for cyclist, but it seems one can tell that those that created and manage it have cycling and cyclists as their primary emphasis.

The two main trails are over 40 miles long and paved. Being former railways, the grade doesn't get much over 1.5% for much of the route. So perhaps a little boring from the lack of challenging climbs, but nice for just a long relaxed ride with some views or a long fast ride to see what you can do without being slowed by hills.

Tanglefoot Trail

https://www.longleaftrace.org/
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-10-21, 04:13 PM
Comfort is King

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
The Pere Marquette Trail in Michigan is 53 miles long, wide, strait, and mostly empty except near Midland at the terminus. Very few road crossings. The other end intersects the White Pine Trail which is around 90 miles. Freshly paved. Very rural, except near Grand Rapids. I've seen people on velo style set-ups over the years on the PMT, for what it's worth.
Old 02-10-21, 09:18 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Probably not exactly what you're thinking of, but UC-Santa Barbara has an interesting network of bike paths: some mix bikes and cars, some mix bikes and pedestrians, and some are bike only. There are also pedestrian sidewalks that don't permit bikes.

https://bikes.as.ucsb.edu/files/2019...mitte_2019.png

When I was on the campus on foot, I had to be constantly reminded (by my watchful host) that when a dedicated bike path crossed a sidewalk, the bikes had the right of way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.