Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Howdy all!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-13, 04:56 PM
Thedoofa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy all!

Hello from the UK! The wife and I are planning on taking up cycling mainly to start getting out more but to shift some weight too.
We used to have our own business and never used to have any free time, now we work from home, and live right by the sea, so we're going to put that promenade to good use. After all we're only 50 metres away from the sea!

I'm the biggest out of the two of us 6"1 and just over 400lb. Had what some would call an epiphany the other day and I need to make some drastic changes. The wife is 5"2 and about 300lb - so some would call us the 2 fat ladies (fitting as we're two chefs!)

At the moment we're looking at what bikes to get etc etc, and ordering them this week. Cannot wait to be honest!

We're planing on a Giant Rapid 2 for me and a Specialized Vita Sport for the other half. She's only got little legs so it's going to be the step thru model. Going to see how we get on with the stock wheels and if sh*t happens we have an awesome local bike shop Today we ordered cycling shorts, woooo! I don't want anything to put us off and to enjoy it as much as possible.

So yes, hello all - I'll no doubt end up picking your brains at some point, thank you for having us 2 fat chicks So glad such a place exists on the internet!
Old 06-15-13, 05:03 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to BF!

We've got at least one other Chef on the Clyde Forum. Don't forget to post pics of your new bikes.
Old 06-15-13, 05:10 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thedoofa
Hello from the UK! The wife and I are planning on taking up cycling mainly to start getting out more but to shift some weight too.
We used to have our own business and never used to have any free time, now we work from home, and live right by the sea, so we're going to put that promenade to good use. After all we're only 50 metres away from the sea!

I'm the biggest out of the two of us 6"1 and just over 400lb. Had what some would call an epiphany the other day and I need to make some drastic changes. The wife is 5"2 and about 300lb - so some would call us the 2 fat ladies (fitting as we're two chefs!)

At the moment we're looking at what bikes to get etc etc, and ordering them this week. Cannot wait to be honest!

We're planing on a Giant Rapid 2 for me and a Specialized Vita Sport for the other half. She's only got little legs so it's going to be the step thru model. Going to see how we get on with the stock wheels and if sh*t happens we have an awesome local bike shop Today we ordered cycling shorts, woooo! I don't want anything to put us off and to enjoy it as much as possible.

So yes, hello all - I'll no doubt end up picking your brains at some point, thank you for having us 2 fat chicks So glad such a place exists on the internet!
Welcome to the madhouse!

If you're allowed to cycle your promenade it's a great way to get a few miles in before you tackle any nasty hills. Places I'm at least vaguely familiar with on the south coast with a promenade often have quite steep hills leading away from the sea, which I can imagine feeling quite punishing to a new cyclist.

If you're new to cycling take your time and build up a bit at a time. My first ride as an adult - my first ride in about 20 years if you exclude the somewhat inebriated and aborted attempt to get to a cash machine on a borrowed bike in my student days - was a little under 5 miles and at the end I wanted to curl up and die somewhere. It gets easier with practise.
Old 06-15-13, 05:11 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
One other thing, be a little wary of spending a lot of money on cycle-specific clothing while you're in a place where your body shapes are going to change relatively quickly, unless you've got plenty of cash to burn. When I started riding I rode in regular T-shirts and when the shirts that used to be tight started to get people commenting that they were so loose I really needed some shirts that fit properly I realised my body shape had mostly stabilised, and bought some proper cycling clothes.
Old 06-15-13, 05:25 PM
Thedoofa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We certainly shall Thankyou for the warm welcome
Old 06-15-13, 05:34 PM
Thedoofa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello!

I was under the impression that everyone was from 'Murica, but I was evidently mistaken!

We're really lucky, the promenade stretches about 20 miles, with a dedicated cycling lane for all of it too - all the war around our coast. I say around as we live on a peninsular.

Don't worry we're going to take it easy, at least till we get the hang of it. It's been about 20 years since we last rode bikes too - and hopefully that will be try about clothes. I've put solo much weight on in the last 6 years, too much nice food! So my first aim is to drop 100lb, be back where i was 6 years ago and I'll be happy! Going to be tough, but it's a good job we like a challenge!

Thankyou so much for the warm welcome, it really is appreciated, been lurking for a while now
Old 06-15-13, 06:22 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome from one of the 'Muricans. The Vita sport is a great choice for your short legged spouse.
Old 06-15-13, 07:14 PM
Thedoofa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
Welcome from one of the 'Muricans. The Vita sport is a great choice for your short legged spouse.
Hi Finch! Many thanks for the warm welcome - no fence intended what so ever We <3 you Muricans

Ah yes - she's tiny, she says she has average legs for a short person hehe.

Thanks for the reply
Old 06-15-13, 07:44 PM
AWB

Bikes: 2013 Reid Aquila, 2013 Reid X126

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Old 06-16-13, 01:34 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hello!

I was under the impression that everyone was from 'Murica, but I was evidently mistaken!

We're really lucky, the promenade stretches about 20 miles, with a dedicated cycling lane for all of it too - all the war around our coast. I say around as we live on a peninsular.

Don't worry we're going to take it easy, at least till we get the hang of it. It's been about 20 years since we last rode bikes too - and hopefully that will be try about clothes. I've put solo much weight on in the last 6 years, too much nice food! So my first aim is to drop 100lb, be back where i was 6 years ago and I'll be happy! Going to be tough, but it's a good job we like a challenge!

Thankyou so much for the warm welcome, it really is appreciated, been lurking for a while now
A 20 mile cycling lane sounds good, whereabouts in the UK is that?
Old 06-16-13, 02:19 AM
AmFaeEmbra
NewKidInTown

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Hi Thedoofa - there's loads of Brits on here. Check out https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...United-Kingdom

Enjoy!
Old 06-16-13, 04:41 AM
Thedoofa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
A 20 mile cycling lane sounds good, whereabouts in the UK is that?
On the wirral - near Liverpool

Here's a link to google maps of the path - very very long!
Old 06-16-13, 06:55 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
On the wirral - near Liverpool

Here's a link to google maps of the path - very very long!
Looks like a good route to cycle without much in the way of hills! Great to get started out and get used to the bike.
Old 06-16-13, 01:16 PM
KittiPaws

Bikes: Schwinn Legacy cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome! You've been given lots of good advice so far. The best thing I can add is not to give up, no matter what your starting point. A couple of months ago I got onto a bicycle again for the first time in decades (I'm 52). I only had the strength to ride from my apartment building to the one next door. Now, I can go 3 miles. All progress is good progress!
Old 06-16-13, 06:41 PM
Rollerdave

Bikes: 2007 Lightfoot Cycles Magnum, 2009 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome, Bike riding is an excellent way to get in shape and lose weight. I lost 163lbs and bike riding was a big part of that. Best part, you get to see some sights and ride with someone you love.

Seeya 'round the boards,

RD