Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I Love New Technology: Confessions of an Early Adopter

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 03:58 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts

This thread is about discussing why one likes new technology and what are the features that make it compelling to own. It is NOT about saying that older technology is bad or ranting. In fact, this thread is about taking the high ground and talking positively about what one likes.

I like new technology, ideas, things and most importantly new bikes, frames, components, electronics, components, services and wheels. We own several carbon fiber bicycles. I like the fit and finish of the newer frames as well as graphics and the aerodynamic shapes. The engineers that design the frames have freedom to change the shape of supporting parts making them stronger and more aero while reducing weight where it is not needed. The ride of carbon fiber is superb due to the management of lateral stiffness and and vertical compliance. Each frame set can be tuned to a particular style of riding and or terrain while minimizing weight.

The new electronics and software and services being offered to track and optimize performance metrics are stunning, clever and useful. I took delivery of the new Garmin Vector power meter and it is a work of art and came packaged much in the same manner as my new Apple MacBook pro computer. Garmin did a great job with the rollout of version 1.0 and I feel fortunate to be one of the early adopters of the technology.

I appreciate the past and try not to repeat mistakes that history may teach. However, my heart and brain are in the future looking forward to new things.

My wife and her Cevelo track bike - GK Photography.

My Cervelo R5 with Quarq power meter. I also own a Cervelo R3, Cervelo P2C Time Trial bike and a Dolan DF3 and Felt Track bikes.

My wife riding her new Cervelo P3 TT bike - H'ors Category Photograph. Her postion and equipment were optimized at Velo Sports Center track using their new aero testing technology that measures aero drag instantaneously as one rides around the track. We were one of the first customers to use the new system.

Last edited by Hermes; 10-06-13 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-02-13, 06:11 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I love it! Great post, and nice pictures (as always). You are always inspiring.

I am finally on the fence about getting a nice carbon bike. When I was actually strong and fast, I didn't want to spend the money on top-flight equipment. Now I don't want to waste good equipment on a slow-poke rider. I'll just have to get to work and stop being a slow-poke to get rid of that final excuse.
Old 10-02-13, 06:48 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I totally agree. My preference for new technology extends beyond bikes to cars, homes, computers, medical devices, etc. My wife is even more of an early adopter than I am. I'm more of an early adapter.
Old 10-02-13, 07:00 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I like new technology, although I tend to be a late adopter. This is because I can't afford to be an early adopter. You know, CF is expensive now, but I expect in another decade or two, you will find bicycle shaped objects with CF frames that have electronic shifting.
Old 10-02-13, 08:05 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Ahem.. maybe time for a positive post.

I say go for it, if that's what you like and that's what you want. Myself, I bought aluminum because that's what I wanted at the time, and that's what I could afford. No looking back, I love my bike. I don't think my bike is limiting my performance.

Having said that, I would love to have electronic shifting. My mechanical shifters are now, finally, working really well. When they weren't, I was using small amounts of physical and mental energy every time I tried to get into the gear I wanted at a particular moment. For a short, easy ride that's not that big of an issue. On 4 and 5 hour (and longer) rides, trying to keep up with strong riders, all those small amounts of energy add up. I'd love to press a button, rather than throw a lever, and be in the gear I want to be in, and be able to pedal hard through a shift.

When I first started driving, I owned cars that were made in the 60's. I loved those cars. I used to have in my trunk jumper cables, starting fluid, extra plug wires, spare distributor cap, extra spark plugs, at times several quarts of oil, and a bunch of hand tools. I don't miss that aspect of car ownership. Fuel injection and electronic ignition sure made a difference in my driving experience. Technology isn't so bad..
Old 10-02-13, 08:15 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
I work in high tech, consulting for an advanced technology group and teaching cutting edge courses at university, but my tastes in the arts center on the 18th and 19th Centuries.

With bicycles, I have reservations about the safety and durability of carbon fiber as well as strong opposition to reduced spoke count wheels, unless one is a sponsored racer who is handed new kit every season. Give me 32 or 36 spokes per wheel, cross-laced, for the best strength-to-moment of inertia ratio and best longevity.

I do think electronic shift is kind of cool, but no one so far is exploiting its best advantage, which would be to provide fingertip shift controls for multiple hand positions on the bars. This is the perfect opportunity to break way from brifter silliness.

With automobiles, I am not enamored with push-to-start, because there is no corresponding fast shutdown procedure in the event the throttle sticks open. (At freeway speeds, during the three seconds one has to hold the "start" button to shut down a Toyota engine, the car has traveled the length of a football field.) I also detest electronic parking brakes -- just give me a good old-fashioned sports car style lever on the center console.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-02-13, 08:20 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Sweet photos!

I enjoy my Garmin 500 a ton. I love being able to see the tracks of where I went, and play them back in Google Earth. I'm often amazed about where I was compared to where I thought I was. It's interesting to see how geographical features connect in a way you can't see when riding.

I know it's popular to bash Strava, but I love it. I may never keep a KOM, but I love seeing my own results, and keeping track of friends I can't ride with.

As a daily bike commuter, I am amazed at how far lights have come in the past 5 or 6 years. It's amazing to me how I can light up the dark trail I ride home on with a light that costs less than $100.

I also like my iPhone because I have friend finder enabled. If my sweet wife checks my location during my 10 pm commute and my dot doesn't move for a long time she might call me or at least come pull my own bad self out of a ditch.

All this techno stuff, though perhaps unnecessary on some levels, has made my cycling, and life, more fun.

Someday, I hope to have the perfect gear ratios for me available in electronic shifting. It hasn't happened yet, but it's getting closer.
Old 10-02-13, 09:02 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by cccorlew
Sweet photos!

I enjoy my Garmin 500 a ton. I love being able to see the tracks of where I went, and play them back in Google Earth. I'm often amazed about where I was compared to where I thought I was. It's interesting to see how geographical features connect in a way you can't see when riding.

I know it's popular to bash Strava, but I love it. I may never keep a KOM, but I love seeing my own results, and keeping track of friends I can't ride with.

As a daily bike commuter, I am amazed at how far lights have come in the past 5 or 6 years. It's amazing to me how I can light up the dark trail I ride home on with a light that costs less than $100.

I also like my iPhone because I have friend finder enabled. If my sweet wife checks my location during my 10 pm commute and my dot doesn't move for a long time she might call me or at least come pull my own bad self out of a ditch.

All this techno stuff, though perhaps unnecessary on some levels, has made my cycling, and life, more fun.

Someday, I hope to have the perfect gear ratios for me available in electronic shifting. It hasn't happened yet, but it's getting closer.
Thanks for the kudos on the photos. The two cool shots are by pros and the garage shot is mine.

Strava is really cool and is energizing cycling. IMO, most cyclists like it and it creates opportunities for cycling events that could not be done without the technology. For example, there are hill climb events that rely on Strava for determining results.

I think you are correct on the lighting. It keeps getting better each year - lighter, brighter and less expensive.
Old 10-02-13, 09:05 PM
overthehillmedi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not going to comment on the technological side but from the pictures I'm thinking you robbed the cradle.
Old 10-02-13, 09:33 PM
Velo Fellow

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Technology (thank you for the mercies of Novocaine) is often a blessing. But it's just "choices". Some advances, (like Novacaine and the safety bicycle) we eagerly choose, some of those choices are simply nice (brifters, steering wheel paddle shifters) and some are silly (polyester slacks, Allsop softride bike).

Each of us dips into the See's candy box of new gizmo's and chooses what he likes, ignores what he doesn't. Finances influence us. So does perceived need. So does vanity. So does cagey marketing. Or just personal taste.

Last edited by Velo Fellow; 10-02-13 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-02-13, 09:34 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by John E
I work in high tech, consulting for an advanced technology group and teaching cutting edge courses at university, but my tastes in the arts center on the 18th and 19th Centuries.

With bicycles, I have reservations about the safety and durability of carbon fiber as well as strong opposition to reduced spoke count wheels, unless one is a sponsored racer who is handed new kit every season. Give me 32 or 36 spokes per wheel, cross-laced, for the best strength-to-moment of inertia ratio and best longevity.

I do think electronic shift is kind of cool, but no one so far is exploiting its best advantage, which would be to provide fingertip shift controls for multiple hand positions on the bars. This is the perfect opportunity to break way from brifter silliness.

With automobiles, I am not enamored with push-to-start, because there is no corresponding fast shutdown procedure in the event the throttle sticks open. (At freeway speeds, during the three seconds one has to hold the "start" button to shut down a Toyota engine, the car has traveled the length of a football field.) I also detest electronic parking brakes -- just give me a good old-fashioned sports car style lever on the center console.
John, I am going to have to give you a grade of C for your response - sorry. You did not follow directions. You were supposed to talk about what you liked not rant about what you do not like. I have had great experience with CF frames, forks and low spoke count wheels. I have been on tandem vacations where tandems with 48 spoke wheels broke spokes and low spoke count wheels did not. That is of course anecdotal and one cannot and should not draw any conclusions. In fact, the lower spoke count wheels were more prone to rim cracks. I respect your credentials but your conclusions / reservations, clearly well intentioned, are based upon perceived low probability but high consequence events. I get it that you would like to go to zero probability and not have any high consequence events. However, I would like to see the data you have that supports your conclusions. If your hypothesis is true, we should be seeing lots of expensive litigation and product liability suits due to product failures that would preclude the manufacture of CF frames and low spoke count wheels - just not profitable.

Boeing has 30+ tons of CF composites in the Dreamliner airframe. The primary reason is fuel savings due to weight reduction. Airbus has a competing solution using "traditional" materials in the airframe and cites "potential" problems with the composites. Boeing has solutions for the "problems" cited by Airbus. I am looking forward to flying on a Dreamliner and I will take the Boeing engineers over the Euros any day of the week as well as the energy savings.

Electronic shifting has solutions for placing buttons on different parts of the handlebars. They can be added to the drops for shifting while sprinting, for example.
Old 10-02-13, 09:47 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I'm completely with you. I'm old (67) and ride a 750 g CF bike with Di2 and Zipp 404s. It has a Garmin which I love for the data. My second bike also is CF with Zipp 303s. I not only feel faster and better on the bikes, I am. It gives me excitement every time I get on for a ride and I know I push myself harder to.

I really embrace technology in all aspects - I never go anywhere without my phone, I often take my iPad, and read from a Kindle at night.

My car has a computer controlled transmission and suspension based on how I drive. Maye the most practical thing is the GPS because I never get lost now regardless of where I go on business appointments.
Old 10-02-13, 10:13 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
As a daily bike commuter, I am amazed at how far lights have come in the past 5 or 6 years. It's amazing to me how I can light up the dark trail I ride home on with a light that costs less than $100. ...
For bicycle technology, batteries and LEDs indeed represent one of the biggest advances of the past decade. Most of us are old enough to remember tire-driven generators and strap-on French arm/leg lights back in the days when rechargeable batteries were a novelty. I'll also bet most of us consider a mobile phone standard equipment, and I have enjoyed using my Garmin when visiting an unfamiliar area.

To clarify my earlier rant about bicycle wheel engineering -- the way to maximize the strength of a wheel while minimizing the weight of the rim (rim + tire weight is what really counts for acceleration) is to increase, not decrease, the spoke count. The sole benefit of reducing the spoke count is reduced air resistance. If one is racing, fine. If one is touring or cycling for transportation or recreation, it still makes sense to have lots of spokes per wheel. I just hate to see cutting edge race-specific equipment marketed for more pedestrian uses.

I have two practical reservations regarding CF. First, it is extremely difficult to trigger a traffic signal if you have CF, instead of aluminum, rims. Second, too many CF riders are unaware of the safety threat posed by small scratches, which develop as stress risers into cracks and eventually points of failure. I know of fatalities caused by CF fork blade failure. In one well publicized local case, the rider had ignored the admonition of a bike shop mechanic.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-02-13, 10:22 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
This thread is about discussing why one likes new technology and what are the features that make it compelling to own. It is NOT about saying that older technology is bad or ranting. In fact, this thread is about taking the high ground and talking positively about what one likes.

I like new technology, ideas, things and most importantly new bikes, frames, components, electronics, components, services and wheels. Between my wife and me, we own 12 bicycles, of which, ten, the frames are made of carbon fiber. I like the fit and finish of the newer frames as well as graphics and the aerodynamic shapes. The engineers that design the frames have freedom to change the shape of supporting parts making them stronger and more aero while reducing weight where it is not needed. The ride of carbon fiber is superb due to the management of lateral stiffness and and vertical compliance. Each frame set can be tuned to a particular style of riding and or terrain while minimizing weight.

The new electronics and software and services being offered to track and optimize performance metrics are stunning, clever and useful. I took delivery of the new Garmin Vector power meter and it is a work of art and came packaged much in the same manner as my new Apple MacBook pro computer. Garmin did a great job with the rollout of version 1.0 and I feel fortunate to be one of the early adopters of the technology.

I appreciate the past and try not to repeat mistakes that history may teach. However, my heart and brain are in the future looking forward to new things.

My wife and her Cevelo track bike - GK Photography. She owns five Cervelos - one road, two track and two time trial.

My Cervelo R5 with Quarq power meter. I also own a Cervelo R3, Cervelo P2C Time Trial bike and a Dolan DF3 and Felt Track bikes.

My wife riding her new Cervelo P3 TT bike - H'ors Category Photograph. Her postion and equipment were optimized at Velo Sports Center track using their new aero testing technology that measures aero drag instantaneously as one rides around the track. We were one of the first customers to use the new system.

I might be considered an early adopter but not a leading edge. Typically I am one generation late. I don't tend to be a tester but once something seems to be better than what I have I start looking for a way to get it. Even if I have to save for a frame and slowly build it myself. You however have some fine looking machines.

I only jumped in with both feet when cell phones first starting selling to more of the General public. To date myself I got a Pactel Briefcase phone before they became AT&T. I took a bath on the early phone and all of my Luddite friends said they were a fad and would never replace a hard line. Today most of my friends have smart phones and some don't even own a hard line home phone. Went to Kenya in 2006 and was totally surprised to learn more people had cell phones than land lines.

I remember when I was into sailing the old salts said Fiberglass was never going to last. I was told I had to learn celestial navigation or I could never sail off shore. Bought a Loran when they first came out because my wife didn't like manning the helm while I took an hour charting down below. When GPS came out I sold my Sextant and was told that was a bad idea because batteries can die. Today not many use a Sextant and GPS guides cruise ships and most off shore cruisers. I see very few wood boats anymore. Fiberglass is holding up just fine thank you very much and TT bikes like yours are Dominating local TT races with both male and female rides.

You sir are an example to many of us. Your wife is a good example as well. Strive for better and don't settle for "just good enough" to get by. That is my take anyway.
Old 10-02-13, 10:24 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
You just do it, man. It's all about doing it. Carpers may wish they could do it, but what's stopping them? My wife and I are 132, but we're still getting faster on our 2003 steel tandem, thanks to technology - mostly training knowledge that tech discovered, but also to bits and pieces like Garmin and Strava, shoes, pedals, tires, clothing, stuff like that. A carbon tandem would be wonderful, but we can't afford it. We got a heck of lot faster just putting on some old used aero clip-ons. But who cares? We do what we can and enjoy the heck out of doing it. Love the photos. My best wishes to you and your wife.
Old 10-02-13, 10:33 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by John E
For bicycle technology, batteries and LEDs indeed represent one of the biggest advances of the past decade. Most of us are old enough to remember tire-driven generators and strap-on French arm/leg lights back in the days when rechargeable batteries were a novelty. I'll also bet most of us consider a mobile phone standard equipment, and I have enjoyed using my Garmin when visiting an unfamiliar area.

To clarify my earlier rant about bicycle wheel engineering -- the way to maximize the strength of a wheel while minimizing the weight of the rim (rim + tire weight is what really counts for acceleration) is to increase, not decrease, the spoke count. The sole benefit of reducing the spoke count is reduced air resistance. If one is racing, fine. If one is touring or cycling for transportation or recreation, it still makes sense to have lots of spokes per wheel. I just hate to see cutting edge race-specific equipment marketed for more pedestrian uses.

I have two practical reservations regarding CF. First, it is extremely difficult to trigger a traffic signal if you have CF, instead of aluminum, rims. Second, too many CF riders are unaware of the safety threat posed by small scratches, which develop as stress risers into cracks and eventually points of failure. I know of fatalities caused by CF fork blade failure. In one well publicized local case, the rider had ignored the admonition of a bike shop mechanic.
Great point. In aerospace, engineers and maintenance personnel should by procedure, Q/A and Q/C, inspect and review the data from the systems Boeing developed to monitor composites in airframes just as they do for other materials.

Bicycles are operated and maintained by us and bike shops, to some extent, look after the maintenance. I inspect my bikes before each ride and look for CF scratches and cracks as well as IMHO, the more problematic issue of tire failure. I do the classic pilot check of the bikes before we ride them. I make my wife review her track bike after I make a gearing or cockpit change telling her that she has to know that it is right before she goes on the track. My goal is zero mechanical failures.

IMO, we have smart guys on this forum capable of checking their bikes and listening to their mechanics.

I cannot speak to the triggering of lights nor do I want this thread to become an A&S discussion. It is about "what we like about technology". If you want to start another thread with a different topic, be my guest.
Old 10-03-13, 03:21 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I love the new technology that I love, I don't love the new technology that I don't love.

CF is interesting, Garmin and electronic shifting etc. is boring to me. Horses for courses. It's just a matter of personal taste, not good or bad taste, but different tastes.

I wait for others with more money (plus skill and enthusiasm) than I to be early adopters then I buy the tried and tested when it drops in price.

I agree with the op's hope that it would be nice if the thread would be more about what you like than don't like but doubt whether that would ever happen on any enthusiasts' forum where like for one item is often seen as dislike for another.

Any mark above a C+ for this post will help raise my forum average.
Old 10-03-13, 04:18 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
I like slant parallelogram derailleurs and brazed water bottle bosses........2 pairs of them.

Nylon Jerseys......not so much yet.
Old 10-03-13, 07:01 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Interesting post and I had to sit back and assess where I fit. I figured out that I'm certainly an adopter but not an "early" adopter. I think a part of my adoption process is to gather feedback from those who have blazed the trail so I can selective determine what provides me the best options at the lowest price. Some of that might be just trying to separate the marketing and fluff from the actual science of it all.

Given that I'm certainly a big fan of Carbon frames and forks and even carbon wheels for certain applications. Last year's models work fine for me if it is an upgrade over what I have, will help me perform better and will shave off big bucks off the price. Certainly give me more light with a longer battery life.......... but at a lower cost. I love all the data from my equipment that is available and use it on most every ride but really haven't done much analysis with it other than to say I've ridden xxxxx miles and climbed xxxx feet. However the data is invaluable in comparing actual performance over time........that is my gauge on my conditioning. But I've never had a power meter but am intrigued by the new stuff, and will probably go there......but certainly not early.

Golf is much the same. I have some of the latest and greatest technologies in equipment because I know it improves what I'm now able to do. For example I played 40+ years without one but now I'd feel lost without my range finder. But don't even think about taking my rusty old putter away from me!!!!
Old 10-03-13, 07:15 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am not generally an early adopter. I do buy new tech, but like it to mature a little bit first. I changed that in the newest computer I just built as it's the newest Intel chipset and CPU.
Old 10-03-13, 07:47 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

JPPE, Golf equipment and services are an interesting topic. When I lived in LA, we belonged to a country club and I was an avid golfer. I updated my driver, woods and putter but stuck with my vintage Ping Eye II irons. I tried a lot of new irons but could not hit the newer technology as well as I could the old Pings. What I liked was the services offered by the PGA tour teaching pros at our club especially the video technology. I would go on the range and the instructor would have a video camera set up for a behind and side video of me hitting balls. We would then work on technique and watch the replays to see how I executed the swing. There was imbedded video in the software that showed different pros swings such as Tiger Woods. My swing was overlaid on the tour pro for comparison. Did this help? Not initially. It took a long time to make even minor changes in the golf swing and hit accurately under the pressure of actual play. But the lessons were fun and I learned a lot about the swing and how to practice.

I think one of the biggest technology changes in golf was the oversized driver with the greater sized sweet spot. It seemed that it generated more consistent drives resulting in more fairways hit. The range finders are also very cool and may speed up play as golfers spend less time trying to determine their distance from the pin.
Old 10-03-13, 08:56 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by on the path
Ahem.. maybe time for a positive post.

I say go for it, if that's what you like and that's what you want. Myself, I bought aluminum because that's what I wanted at the time, and that's what I could afford. No looking back, I love my bike. I don't think my bike is limiting my performance.

Having said that, I would love to have electronic shifting. My mechanical shifters are now, finally, working really well. When they weren't, I was using small amounts of physical and mental energy every time I tried to get into the gear I wanted at a particular moment. For a short, easy ride that's not that big of an issue. On 4 and 5 hour (and longer) rides, trying to keep up with strong riders, all those small amounts of energy add up. I'd love to press a button, rather than throw a lever, and be in the gear I want to be in, and be able to pedal hard through a shift.

When I first started driving, I owned cars that were made in the 60's. I loved those cars. I used to have in my trunk jumper cables, starting fluid, extra plug wires, spare distributor cap, extra spark plugs, at times several quarts of oil, and a bunch of hand tools. I don't miss that aspect of car ownership. Fuel injection and electronic ignition sure made a difference in my driving experience. Technology isn't so bad..
I have an aluminum track bike Felt TK2 which is an excellent bike that rides great and is stiff. Also, I have an aluminum Santana tandem with a carbon fork that rides really nice. I think frame design can trump material selection and it is knowhow coupled with technology that enables producing a great frame set. I thought the CF tandems were too much money for the amount of time that we would spend riding it and focused our budget on other cycling priorities. Having said that, many of our friends have CF tandems and they love the ride and performance.
Old 10-03-13, 09:33 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
I might be considered an early adopter but not a leading edge. Typically I am one generation late. I don't tend to be a tester but once something seems to be better than what I have I start looking for a way to get it. Even if I have to save for a frame and slowly build it myself. You however have some fine looking machines.

I only jumped in with both feet when cell phones first starting selling to more of the General public. To date myself I got a Pactel Briefcase phone before they became AT&T. I took a bath on the early phone and all of my Luddite friends said they were a fad and would never replace a hard line. Today most of my friends have smart phones and some don't even own a hard line home phone. Went to Kenya in 2006 and was totally surprised to learn more people had cell phones than land lines.

I remember when I was into sailing the old salts said Fiberglass was never going to last. I was told I had to learn celestial navigation or I could never sail off shore. Bought a Loran when they first came out because my wife didn't like manning the helm while I took an hour charting down below. When GPS came out I sold my Sextant and was told that was a bad idea because batteries can die. Today not many use a Sextant and GPS guides cruise ships and most off shore cruisers. I see very few wood boats anymore. Fiberglass is holding up just fine thank you very much and TT bikes like yours are Dominating local TT races with both male and female rides.

You sir are an example to many of us. Your wife is a good example as well. Strive for better and don't settle for "just good enough" to get by. That is my take anyway.
Great post...even without the kudos which I appreciate.

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
You just do it, man. It's all about doing it. Carpers may wish they could do it, but what's stopping them? My wife and I are 132, but we're still getting faster on our 2003 steel tandem, thanks to technology - mostly training knowledge that tech discovered, but also to bits and pieces like Garmin and Strava, shoes, pedals, tires, clothing, stuff like that. A carbon tandem would be wonderful, but we can't afford it. We got a heck of lot faster just putting on some old used aero clip-ons. But who cares? We do what we can and enjoy the heck out of doing it. Love the photos. My best wishes to you and your wife.
You guys rock. You are one of the best posters at BF. You always offer well intentioned positive advice that has sound basis in fact - keep it up. Thanks for the kudos. You guys have us by 4 years as our combined age is 128 which makes me 88 years old.
Old 10-03-13, 09:44 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
In the geek<--------------->Luddite spectrum, I'm heavy on the geek side. My great regret in life is that it took me so long to drink the Apple Koolaid

I love the new cycling technology but other than owning a GPS unit I don't have much use for it.

If if I were racing on the national/international level, I would love the stuff. As a recreational rider who is lucky to get in 50 miles a week, it makes no sense to me.

The real reason Hermes posted this is that he wants to show off his trophy wife as well he should.

Old 10-03-13, 09:54 AM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm impressed by the value of the humble blinky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.