Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I was a bad Boy Scout today - not prepared

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-13, 07:03 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

Not sure why I had a Schrader valve tube in my seat bag or why I had taken the patch kit out, but when my rear tire went flat halfway up Union Hill, I had to start walking home. I must have hit a rock too hard on the fast gravel road just before that, causing a pinch flat. Too bad I'm not running tubeless on the monstercross bike like I am on the Crux.

Luckily, my friend Joe was home and gave me a lift the final 3 miles after I walked 2. It was a very nice ride before that on one of my favorite partly paved, partly gravel routes. Odd to be wearing a l/s jersey on a midday ride. It was a beautiful sunny and cool day, but at times the wind made it seem a better day for flying a kite.

https://app.strava.com/activities/90914157

Fall gravel by BluesDawg, on Flickr

James Fire Dept. by BluesDawg, on Flickr

I've got my Orange Crush by BluesDawg, on Flickr

James Cemetery by BluesDawg, on Flickr

middle of the road by BluesDawg, on Flickr

horse barn by BluesDawg, on Flickr

bridge and creek by BluesDawg, on Flickr
Old 10-23-13, 07:34 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Where's the pic of the flat tire?
Old 10-23-13, 08:07 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
If you insist.

Old 10-23-13, 10:29 PM
overthehillmedi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even though I never was a Boy Scout I'm not that bad. By the way call your walk cross training and nobody will ever know otherwise except us.
Old 10-24-13, 05:27 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
You could've made up for it by helping an old lady across the street. No wife jokes, please...you'll get us all killed.
Old 10-24-13, 05:52 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
One of the neato things about the A719 rims that we have is that the holes are drilled for Schrader, but have plastic inserts for presta. The inserts can be removed easily -- almost too easily.

I think I've left home more than 10 times without tubes, and more recently a couple of times without a pump as I was sorting them out. Mind you, the pumps I got for our RTW trip were so crappy, that taking them was more of a liability than taking none at all because they wouldn't let go of the valve when the lever was undone.

I like your bike, by the way. I seems to have a nice proportional balance to it, and I really like the colour.
Old 10-24-13, 06:39 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
nice roads in your area, looks like a good time otherwise
Old 10-24-13, 06:58 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I find that the problem is usually that you need better labelling of spare tubes. When I fix a tube, I either put it in the appropriate size box, or in a sandwich bag with a label of the size inside. This way I don't get the wrong tube as the spare on a bike.
Old 10-24-13, 07:12 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I guess I am a Boy Scout. I have a trunk pack on both my bike and trike that is a mini bike shop. I dont like to walk home, and I havent. Also I dont know how many times I have stopped and fixed bikes for people that carry absolutely nothing when they ride. Younger people are amazed that I can fix most things right on the bike path. They think for the most part when anything goes wrong, including flats, they need to take their bike to a bike shop.
Old 10-24-13, 08:50 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
It happens to all of us, sooner or later.
Like the 'kick stand'.
Old 10-24-13, 09:28 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Looks like the perfect bike for that kind of riding. I keep thinking I need a cyclo-cross bike, even though I have no intention of entering a cyclo-cross race.

Re: Presta and Schrader, I've converted (almost) all my bikes to Presta, so usually no problem. The Folder's 16" tubes look so different, no chance of mixing them up with the 700C tubes. The exception is my '57 Hercules 3-speed. I just can't bring myself to convert an English classic to presta . . . though I am often tempted, and I don't have a source for 26x1-3/8" presta tubes in any case.

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-24-13, 09:38 AM
Gnosis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my local commutes I’ll oft times head out without a spare tube when I know I’ll be picking up a number things to carry in my backpack which will require all of its space, but I otherwise typically carry a spare tube and I always carry my tools and tire repair kit. I’ve only had to replace a tube one time due to a pinch flat on my road bike’s OEM 700 x 23 rear tire (which only had 40 miles of use on it, but the release of its high pressure blew out its sidewall rendering it useless for future usage). After that, I switched to 700 x 28 tires on my road bike and I’ve been quite pleased with their far better ride comfort.

On my long distance rides (almost always via one of my portly mountain bikes via their large volume street tires), I wouldn’t dare tempt fate by leaving home without a spare tube, as that would be the cue for Murphy’s Law to make my day a living hell.

I did head out one time to my cousin’s house on my mountain bike, but forgot to install its seatbag, which had my tools, tire repair kit, tire levers, spare master links, and extra lighting batteries, so the whole way home I was dreading a flat. Though I could easily enough walk the 7-mile distance if I had to, it would take a couple of hours. Fortunately, no flats incurred on my way home.
Old 10-24-13, 06:17 PM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
geez, BD, I'd never park my bike at the entrance to a cemetary. I don't want it getting any ideas.
Old 10-24-13, 06:55 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Disgusting-turn in your merit badge sash!

This was an unfortunate end to a nice Conti 4000!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1024x768_bestfit.jpg (93.5 KB, 8 views)

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 10-24-13, 07:03 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Looks like the perfect bike for that kind of riding. I keep thinking I need a cyclo-cross bike, even though I have no intention of entering a cyclo-cross race.

Rick / OCRR
All the cool kids have them.
Old 10-24-13, 07:26 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Being prepared includes being prepared to walk. You did fine.

No matter how many flat tires you're prepared to fix, n+1 can happen. If you carry one spare tire, two can be destroyed. If you carry a 6" boot, you can have an 8" rip. You can field repair a broken top tube with a whittled stick and some duct tape, but not a broken head tube. You can replace your right pedal with a well chosen spark plug, but not the left pedal. A broken chain could be shortened one link, unless it slipped between the slats on the bridge you were crossing when it broke.
Old 10-24-13, 07:28 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnosis
I did head out one time to my cousin’s house on my mountain bike, but forgot to install its seatbag, which had my tools, tire repair kit, tire levers, spare master links, and extra lighting batteries, so the whole way home I was dreading a flat. Though I could easily enough walk the 7-mile distance if I had to, it would take a couple of hours. Fortunately, no flats incurred on my way home.
Before we left our previous place to move to where we are now, I was building up a few bags, toolsets and tubes so each could remain on a bike and not have to be swapped between bikes. Over the years, there have been several tools and other bits that I like and now it's a matter of trying to replicate them.
Old 10-24-13, 08:28 PM
Gnosis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Before we left our previous place to move to where we are now, I was building up a few bags, toolsets and tubes so each could remain on a bike and not have to be swapped between bikes. Over the years, there have been several tools and other bits that I like and now it's a matter of trying to replicate them.
I have 4 bikes, but only two seatbags. Even then I need to move the tools from one bag to the other and that’s how I ended up forgetting the seatbag. I removed the seatbag from one bike, got distracted, then forgot to install it on the other bike prior to hurrying out the door to my destination.

Like you, I’d much prefer having a seatbag for each bike complete with their own set of essentially identical tools so I don’t have to swap them around, but funds have been stretched lately, so I have to continue playing swaperoo.
Old 10-25-13, 07:33 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
All the cool kids have them.
Well then, that explains why I don't have one!

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-26-13, 09:20 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Love the pics Bennie. Wish we had more easy access to roads like that. Thanks for sharing. And +1 to Rowen's nice bike comment.

We've had the same windy pattern here making it cooler than the static temps indicate.