Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Computer forward bar mount. Worth it?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-14, 07:54 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I've got a Garmin Edge 500, which I really like. I use it with the stock bar mount, so it's right on top of the handlebars next to the stem. Noticed that they make a mount that clamps to the handlebars and puts the computer out front a little more. Was curious if anybody has tried the two different locations and if they feel it is worth it to get the forward bar mount as compared to the stock on the bar mount? Biggest advantage I can see is that the stock mount uses rubber O rings to hold the mount,which could snap off, while the forward bar mount can be purchased in aluminum, so wouldn't have to worry about losing the Garmin on a ride. I can see it being out front being a little more visible and maybe easier to touch the buttons, but don't want to spend $ on something that doesn't make that much difference.

Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/k-edge-compu...item4183418c9c

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-01-14, 07:59 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I like the forward mount better.

Its closer the the hands and you don't have to look so far down.
Old 07-01-14, 08:06 PM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I went to forward mount. During certain sun angles display was difficult to read - with o rings it was easy to tilt 500 for better viewing. Can't do that with fixed mount. Otherwise I like it.
Old 07-01-14, 08:11 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, absolutely worth it. I put it on one bike and liked it so much I put them on two more bikes. Any bike you ride a lot deserves one.

But . . . try just one at first and I'm betting you'll really like it.

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-01-14, 08:16 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
For my Garmin 800 I have a Bar-Fly forward mount on my road bike and a SRAM forward mount on my CX bike. Both hold the computer more solidly and in an easier to read position than the standard rubber band mount in either the stem or handlebar position. On my MTB, I have a Bar-Fly mount that positions the computer over the stem (more protected from being snagged by limbs etc.), but its adjustability lets me put it at an easier to read angle than resting on the stem with the standard mount. All of these are made from nylon and are very sturdy. I still use the rubber band mounts on a couple of other bikes. I have not had a band break while riding, but they do tend to move around a little, especially mounted on the handlebar.
Old 07-01-14, 08:55 PM
Cychologist
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I agree the forward bar mount is an improvement mainly because it is easier to read out there. I have the ones made from aluminum and have no complaints.
Old 07-01-14, 09:07 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I have a barfly for my Garmin 500. I love it. You don't look down so far and remove your eyes from the road. I got mine on eBay.
Old 07-01-14, 11:54 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Sounds like I need to look into these a little more. Sounds like it would make it easier to read. Nice having folks out there who have tried them. I do notice my 500 moves around with vibration and I have to rotate it back up, so maybe something a little more solid would be the trick.

Had a gift certificate to spend, so put it towards this. Not bad for almost half price.

Last edited by HIPCHIP; 07-02-14 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-02-14, 03:48 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
I have an SRAM forward mount, and it looks/works great. IIRC, I shelled out about $15 on ebay.
Old 07-02-14, 05:07 AM
mrFreel

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Trek 520, Surly Straggler, Trek Roscoe 8, Fisher HK2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the SRAM on one bike and the stock Garmin on another. I refer the SRAM. It seems to hold my Garmin tighter, locks in with a tighter snap

Mike
Old 07-02-14, 05:47 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Don't have a Garmin, just a cheap cycle computer from Walmart, but the way I see it is, it would be 1 less thing mounted on the bar and thus room for yet another thing mounted on the bar.

My little cycle computer mount is curved to fit the bar. I have it zip-tied to the stem which puts the curve 90° to actually fitting. It is mounted crooked but I have 2 lights mounted on the bar and my bar ends made me push the grips, brakes, and shifters in towards the center which leaves no room to mount the computer with the 2 lights. I would like to get a real single bike light (mine are 2 flashlights) and a bell for riding on the trail for alerting those I am passing rather than calling out close enough for them to hear but too close that I startle them (mostly seniors either riding really slow or walking side by side.) I don't really have room right now to mount a bell because of the flashlights.
Old 07-02-14, 05:51 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Love the bar mounts.

Old 07-02-14, 05:55 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I have the Sram bar mount and love it and it's cheap to.
Old 07-02-14, 06:44 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
How much do you use your Garmin? I use mine primarily to record rides, and rarely look at it during a ride. If you're using ride guidance features, sure, get the extended mount. We're all old and can't see as well as we used to.
Old 07-02-14, 06:54 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Mine (phone, not Garmin) needs to be forward mounted or I have a hard time reading the GPS map.
Old 07-02-14, 07:25 AM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Sram bar mount is nice and worthwhile. helpful hint - use some blue Loctite on the screw or it will back out over time
Old 07-02-14, 07:30 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by HIPCHIP
I've got a Garmin Edge 500, which I really like. Noticed that they make a mount that clamps to the handlebars and puts the computer out front a little more.
I'm so sorry.

If you hadn't known that such a thing existed you would have been perfectly happy with your bar mount. Now that you know, it's like the song you can't get out of your mind. The only short term cure is to buy the damm thing. The long term solution is to quit looking at bike accessory catalogues.

I know this to be true - except for that last part.
Old 07-02-14, 08:49 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Barfly early adopter here. Big improvement over a stem mount. Before Barfly hit the market I had been using one of the accessory bar mounts; this worked fine for my 705, but didn't hold the 800 steady enough to use the touchscreen consistently. The Barfly has worked flawlessly; some have observed that the retention doesn't have a positive "click" (which is true), but I've never seen a report of someone having a Garmin eject when using a Barfly.
Old 07-02-14, 09:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
There is always your Pocket. Stop.. take it out, look, put it back in your pocket, and go back to riding.
Old 07-02-14, 12:06 PM
gabedad

Bikes: 2014 Trek Madone 5.2 2012 Canondale Synapse 6 alum. Gary Fisher Wahoo Panasonic DX 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my k-edge but I would love if it were angled a bit more
Old 07-02-14, 12:37 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

The reviews I read about the K-Edge vs. the Bar Fly is that the K-Edge is a little more Blingish and sturdy. Since I have a gift card through Amazon, I decided to go with the K-Edge as it just looks nicer and maybe a bit more stout. Now I just have to hope it fits my bars and works the way I think it will. I'll have to play with the angle and make sure it's sitting correctly.
Old 07-02-14, 12:40 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by fietsbob
There is always your Pocket. Stop.. take it out, look, put it back in your pocket, and go back to riding.
Kind of defeats the purpose of having it if I can't look down and get the data I want when I want it. If it accidentally falls out of the pocket, I'd never know either. The K-Edge sounds like it puts it more in view, has a solid retention system, and looks good to boot, so I think that will work. I'm going to give it a shot and see. The pocket method is fine if the O-Ring breaks and I have to get it home, but I want to see mine so I can see where I'm at while pedaling (especially when looking to see my cadence or speed, etc.).
Old 07-02-14, 01:29 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by HIPCHIP
...don't want to spend $ on something that doesn't make that much difference...
Honestly . . . it falls into the realm of carbon water bottle cages. It is not an absolute necessary to own before having an enjoyable cycling experience, but that said, I have them on all my bikes. The biggest advantage is that, as you state, it puts the GPS unit further out in front of you so that you don't have to look down so much to see it. I have a K-Edge and several Bar Fly mounts. (That's a good price on the K-Edge that you posted.) The only thing that I don't like about the K-Edge, (and is actually an advantage from different viewpoint), is that being AL, it could scratch the paint on my handlebar when I torque it down. What I do is cut up an old inner tube and wrap the bar once around before screwing down the mount. Works well enough and I don't have to worry about scratching. The Bar Fly is a plastic composite and will not scratch bars.

I'm just curious about your rubber band Garmin mount. Why do you have it on your handlebar? I would think that for sure it would not stay in place because the bars are smaller in diameter than the stem. When I used the rubber band mount, I always mounted it on the stem. Never turned in that position.

p.s. I do have carbon water bottle cages on my bikes. I'm partial to the Blackburn cages.
Old 07-02-14, 01:51 PM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the K-Edge really like it but get the newer version with the plastic mount the older one wears out the plastic on the Garmin and it will start to get loose.

Old 07-02-14, 01:53 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Originally Posted by volosong
Honestly . . . it falls into the realm of carbon water bottle cages. It is not an absolute necessary to own before having an enjoyable cycling experience, but that said, I have them on all my bikes. The biggest advantage is that, as you state, it puts the GPS unit further out in front of you so that you don't have to look down so much to see it. I have a K-Edge and several Bar Fly mounts. (That's a good price on the K-Edge that you posted.) The only thing that I don't like about the K-Edge, (and is actually an advantage from different viewpoint), is that being AL, it could scratch the paint on my handlebar when I torque it down. What I do is cut up an old inner tube and wrap the bar once around before screwing down the mount. Works well enough and I don't have to worry about scratching. The Bar Fly is a plastic composite and will not scratch bars.

I'm just curious about your rubber band Garmin mount. Why do you have it on your handlebar? I would think that for sure it would not stay in place because the bars are smaller in diameter than the stem. When I used the rubber band mount, I always mounted it on the stem. Never turned in that position.

p.s. I do have carbon water bottle cages on my bikes. I'm partial to the Blackburn cages.
I bought the Garmin at the same shop I purchased the bike from. They mounted and set up everything. They put the stock Garmin mount on the handlebar just to the right of the stem, so totally their idea as I had no idea of how it went on or locations to put it. It's actually worked very well and only rotates when the road gets bumpy and the vibration will make it rotate just slightly. I was more worried about the O-Ring getting old and breaking and me losing the computer on a ride. The K-Edge being aluminum just seemed to make sense as it wouldn't dry out and crack like rubber or plastic might. The fact that it opens up the bars a little and puts the unit in front of the stem is just a bonus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.