Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hurt my knees riding..

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hurt my knees riding..

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-14, 12:10 PM
C.Andrade
Let's Ride!

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Crosstrail Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hurt my knees riding..

Hi everyone,

I've ridden my bike for long periods of time with many breaks in between, this past Sunday, I rode 25 miles which is 7 miles more than my norm without braking since I didn't feel like having mosquitos snack on me!

Right after the 25 mile mark, I noticed intense pain on my left and right knee.. I do have a torn meniscus on my right knee but I have been fine riding my bike at a steady pace. My left knee had been trouble free until after my ride! I'm guessing I tore my meniscus on that one as well because there is no other way to explain the pain I was under. I walked the last 1/2 mile to my truck and finally collapsed. Has anyone ever experienced something like I have? My constant speed was 10 mph with a few climbs, nothing major. Again, it's my first time doing anything over 25 miles and not taking a breather, could that be it? The weather was great so i know it wasn't heat related.. maybe over did it this time

I will not be able to bike for a wile even tho I feel a littler better and can finally walk without holding on too something, I am worried it will happen again.

Any advise? I do have my saddle extended so I get a good leg stretch on every rotation.

I ride on trails and asphalt and I own a Hybrid bike if that helps.

Many thanks!
Old 10-08-14, 01:32 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
There are factors other than distance, etc... although it could be a factor. Any time you push beyond what you have done before, I believe there is a greater chance of injury.

What cadence do you pedal? If you are a masher, that could contribute to (but possibly not be a sole cause) for knee or leg problems. Low rpm pedaling is very hard on my legs, and knees, so for me, a cadence of below 75 is not in the cards for me.

I recently rode 46 miles with someone who has a torn meniscus, so 25 miles is not likely to be a problem if nothing else contributes. In her case, she is a bit of a masher, but I would guess her cadence is 60 rpm or so... As she tells, her issue with the meniscus arose based on simply turning around to pick something up, and her assumption is that this was the culmination of damage caused earlier. Is something like that a possibility for you?

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 10-08-14, 02:56 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Do you use any kind of foot retention? I tweaked my knee back around Memorial Day and either I did while riding (for the first time in a while, pushing too tall a gear), or while walking- either earlier that day or the next and the pain got progressively worse as the ROM in my left knee decreased.

Never did see a doctor about it and occasionally will feel a twinge if I stretch at an awkward angle and fairly sure I now have arthritis, but I can walk and ride again pain free.
Old 10-08-14, 03:40 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by C.Andrade
Hi everyone,

I've ridden my bike for long periods of time with many breaks in between, this past Sunday, I rode 25 miles which is 7 miles more than my norm without braking since I didn't feel like having mosquitos snack on me!

Right after the 25 mile mark, I noticed intense pain on my left and right knee.. I do have a torn meniscus on my right knee but I have been fine riding my bike at a steady pace. My left knee had been trouble free until after my ride! I'm guessing I tore my meniscus on that one as well because there is no other way to explain the pain I was under. I walked the last 1/2 mile to my truck and finally collapsed. Has anyone ever experienced something like I have? My constant speed was 10 mph with a few climbs, nothing major. Again, it's my first time doing anything over 25 miles and not taking a breather, could that be it? The weather was great so i know it wasn't heat related.. maybe over did it this time

I will not be able to bike for a wile even tho I feel a littler better and can finally walk without holding on too something, I am worried it will happen again.

Any advise? I do have my saddle extended so I get a good leg stretch on every rotation.

I ride on trails and asphalt and I own a Hybrid bike if that helps.

Many thanks!
O.K. Andrade you came to the right place but before I can make any prognostications I must have some personal Information,,, first (age) next (Height) after that (Weight)also( inseam length) for stand over purposes and last your social security number!!!! please submit soon as possible
Old 10-08-14, 04:20 PM
C.Andrade
Let's Ride!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
There are factors other than distance, etc... although it could be a factor. Any time you push beyond what you have done before, I believe there is a greater chance of injury.

What cadence do you pedal? If you are a masher, that could contribute to (but possibly not be a sole cause) for knee or leg problems. Low rpm pedaling is very hard on my legs, and knees, so for me, a cadence of below 75 is not in the cards for me.

I recently rode 46 miles with someone who has a torn meniscus, so 25 miles is not likely to be a problem if nothing else contributes. In her case, she is a bit of a masher, but I would guess her cadence is 60 rpm or so... As she tells, her issue with the meniscus arose based on simply turning around to pick something up, and her assumption is that this was the culmination of damage caused earlier. Is something like that a possibility for you?

Hi,

I would think low cadence if I understand the question, I am definitely a pedal masher. I had a very similar think happen wile I was at the store, I turned around with the shopping card and I felt that very second the most excruciating pain! had to limp and drag my butt out of there.

Originally Posted by no1mad
Do you use any kind of foot retention? I tweaked my knee back around Memorial Day and either I did while riding (for the first time in a while, pushing too tall a gear), or while walking- either earlier that day or the next and the pain got progressively worse as the ROM in my left knee decreased.

Never did see a doctor about it and occasionally will feel a twinge if I stretch at an awkward angle and fairly sure I now have arthritis, but I can walk and ride again pain free.
No foot retention, I think I gave it more than what I had to give that morning so chances are, I over worked my knees. I do pound those peddles pretty hard, not sure why to be honest, I am walking just fine now but worried that pain might come back at the worst time possible!

Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
O.K. Andrade you came to the right place but before I can make any prognostications I must have some personal Information,,, first (age) next (Height) after that (Weight)also( inseam length) for stand over purposes and last your social security number!!!! please submit soon as possible
I'm mid 30's and measure 5'11'', I weight 185 and my inseam is at 32. My social is 123-45-6789.

Thanks fellas for the response, I need to find the right riding pace for my sake! Liking the forum so far, thanks again.
Old 10-08-14, 04:33 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Spinning is better than mashing ... aim for something over 80 rpm. Easier on the knees.

Also, you say you have your saddle extended so you get a good leg stretch on every rotation ... perhaps it is too high. Find a flat bit of road and ride for a minute or two. Then coast with one leg in the 6:00 position. Place that heel on the pedal. Your leg should have just a very slight bend at the knee. It should not be locked straight, and it should not be quite noticeable bent.
Old 10-08-14, 04:36 PM
Fastfingaz

Hey Andrade you seem pretty normal physically, I don't think that going 7 miles over the norm would have that much effect on your knees? the only thing I can think of is over extention on your down stroke? But I'm no MD! your ss # is pretty easy to remember Huh?
Old 10-08-14, 06:38 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure sounds like your meniscus. Did you have some swelling bellow the knees? I'm not sure how you'd improve this other than having an ortho surgeon take a look at it. Doubt it would be a real issue but to improve it, you may have to get that meniscus trimmed or apply the RICE procedure...
Old 10-08-14, 08:39 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
I'm mid 30's and measure 5'11'', I weight 185 and my inseam is at 32. My social is 123-45-6789.
Point of clarification: is that your pants inseam, or cycling inseam? We like to measure inseam from crotch to ground here.

Start reading up in the fit subforum. I'm still amazed sometimes how even small tweaks to the saddle or bars can make a big change in fit.
Old 10-08-14, 08:59 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Not sure what's wrong with your knee, but you may want to consider pedals with more float, pedals with little or no float are really tough on the knees
Old 10-09-14, 04:04 AM
Lone

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
your hurt knee is probably shorter than the other knee. move your hurt knee cleat towards your heel for more direct power from your big leg muscles.
since it took me so long to know this, i'll add that for the shorter leg, your cleat should be farther towards your toes. so you have to move your longer leg cleats even closer to your heel.

Last edited by Lone; 10-09-14 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-09-14, 09:05 AM
C.Andrade
Let's Ride!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Spinning is better than mashing ... aim for something over 80 rpm. Easier on the knees.

Also, you say you have your saddle extended so you get a good leg stretch on every rotation ... perhaps it is too high. Find a flat bit of road and ride for a minute or two. Then coast with one leg in the 6:00 position. Place that heel on the pedal. Your leg should have just a very slight bend at the knee. It should not be locked straight, and it should not be quite noticeable bent.
I agree, but for some reason I mash not realizing that I'm doing so, I might just need to retrain my brain to spin and not try to climb to the moon.
I have done just that to see if I have adjusted accordingly, I do have just enough bend but now that I think about it, I use the front of the foot more trying to work out the calf muscle, that might be what did it? I can see that putting more strain on the knee.

Hey Andrade you seem pretty normal physically, I don't think that going 7 miles over the norm would have that much effect on your knees? the only thing I can think of is over extention on your down stroke? But I'm no MD! your ss # is pretty easy to remember Huh?
Lol, My wife would argue that statement! I think it's my peddling that's breaking me. I'm sitting right here typing this and lifting my foot by the toes and I could feel a terrible pain in my knee, I just need to adjust, Might put those damn biking shoes to work even tho I hate them!

Originally Posted by knobster
Sure sounds like your meniscus. Did you have some swelling bellow the knees? I'm not sure how you'd improve this other than having an ortho surgeon take a look at it. Doubt it would be a real issue but to improve it, you may have to get that meniscus trimmed or apply the RICE procedure...
No swelling that i've noticed, I've had it torn for a little over a year with no time to fix it unfortunately, I will soon tho. I have had a Ortho check it out and indeed is torn, never did check the left, but the pain compares to the right knee so I'm positive it's torn too, just my luck!

Originally Posted by Caliper
Point of clarification: is that your pants inseam, or cycling inseam? We like to measure inseam from crotch to ground here.

Start reading up in the fit subforum. I'm still amazed sometimes how even small tweaks to the saddle or bars can make a big change in fit.
That's my pants inseam lol, the more I read on this forum, the more technical terms I find! I will definitely read up that sub forum. I obviously have no idea what of what I thought I knew. Glad I found this forum, you guys sure know your stuff!

Originally Posted by qclabrat
Not sure what's wrong with your knee, but you may want to consider pedals with more float, pedals with little or no float are really tough on the knees
I actually installed the Click'r pedals so I would have something of decent quality on the bike as oppose to the $5 pedals that come on it! I forgot too mention that I used to break pedals on my old bike.. I might be too much of a beast on that crank. I will try to ease it down a bit, I'm sure that will help.
Old 10-09-14, 09:14 AM
C.Andrade
Let's Ride!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found a good article that helped a bit, passing it on to you fellas, good read. bikefitting.com | made to measure
Old 10-09-14, 09:50 AM
Dave Horne

Bikes: Van Nicholas (Titanium) Deveron, Pinion 18 speed, Gates belt, disc brakes; Brompton - 5 speed Sturmey-Archer

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's been a while since I've had any pain in my knees but I have noticed one thing that will cause it. I work out at the gym nearly every day and use the cross trainer for 60 minutes. If I use a setting where I'm 'mashing', I'll have pain the next day.

Since I live in Holland and there aren't many hills, I rarely have to work very hard when I bike. I would think just taking it easy to begin with would avoid many problems.
Old 10-09-14, 10:33 AM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
I notice knee pain more often if the saddle is too low. When it's too high I notice rocking hips but not so much knee pain. The correct height for me leaves my heel about 1 cm off the pedal but I have huge feet.
Old 10-09-14, 04:18 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I agree, but for some reason I mash not realizing that I'm doing so, I might just need to retrain my brain to spin and not try to climb to the moon.
I have done just that to see if I have adjusted accordingly, I do have just enough bend but now that I think about it, I use the front of the foot more trying to work out the calf muscle, that might be what did it? I can see that putting more strain on the knee.
To retrain your brain, take a spinning class over the winter (are you going into winter soon?). I was a low-80s cadence person until I started taking spinning classes. Now I'm a high-80s person.

And you're supposed to ride with the ball of your foot on the pedal. You use your heel to determine saddle height, but don't ride with your heel.
Old 10-09-14, 04:19 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

An article about knee pain that might help: CYCLING PERFORMANCE TIPS - Leg, Knee, and Hip Pain
Old 10-10-14, 03:34 PM
C.Andrade
Let's Ride!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice fellas, Knees are finally feeling much better.
I'll be biking this weekend and see if I can re-adjust.
Old 10-10-14, 03:34 PM
C.Andrade
Let's Ride!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! that was a good read.
Old 10-10-14, 03:58 PM
Fastfingaz

Originally Posted by Lone
your hurt knee is probably shorter than the other knee. move your hurt knee cleat towards your heel for more direct power from your big leg muscles.
since it took me so long to know this, i'll add that for the shorter leg, your cleat should be farther towards your toes. so you have to move your longer leg cleats even closer to your heel.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Never heard of such a thing, One knee shorter than the other??? unless of course you're talking about the weenie ?
Old 10-11-14, 03:25 AM
GravelMN

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From what you describe, and your history of a knee problem, I suspect that you have more going on than a simple overuse problem from a long ride. A trip to your physician may be in order. I've had knee soreness and leg weakness after a long, hard ride, but not the kind of pain or disability you describe.

+1 each on getting a bike fitting, spinning instead of mashing, and using some form of foot retention. If you go clipless, make sure to get them set up properly so that you can clip out easily and intuitively.
Old 10-16-14, 02:13 PM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Never heard of such a thing, One knee shorter than the other??? unless of course you're talking about the weenie ?
He might have phrased it wrong, but it's true, no one's legs are exactly the same length. Usually the difference is taken up by the pelvis tilting, but for some adding shims to the cleats helps..
Old 10-16-14, 05:14 PM
Fastfingaz

Originally Posted by delcrossv
He might have phrased it wrong, but it's true, no one's legs are exactly the same length. Usually the difference is taken up by the pelvis tilting, but for some adding shims to the cleats helps..
To tell you the delcross I've heard that before,I was being a little dramatic and using it as a lead in to my punch line,,,,,
Old 10-16-14, 05:27 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Go see a good sports orthopedist, hopefully one who is also knowledgeable about cycling. There are so many structures involved with the knee it's really hard to determine what's wrong in a forum. Better to find out exactly what is wrong and get it fixed now before it gets worse. Check with your local college's Athletic Trainer who the team orthopedist is (hopefully they'll have a cycling team too) and get it checked. It might be something as simple as an overuse injury, but the meniscus does not have blood flow, so it heals really slowly, so better to have it repaired now before it gets worse, if that is the problem. It could be the cartilage on the backside of your knee. If that is the problem, it can be fixed easily with a knee sleeve and some strengthening, but if you let it continue, then you'll need surgery to clean it up, so have it checked ASAP.