Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

My twitter feed

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 11:32 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
Right -so, my fiance talked me out of selling the Cervelo & the HED wheel.
Sheesh - how lucky can a guy get - she kept after me until I agreed to NOT sell off my B-bike and a wheel that isn't critical to my success.

Wise move considering selling it now might end up in major bike purchase later. My wife has come a long way in regards to bike purchases, she just never thought of bikes as being expensive so when I'd tell her how much things cost she'd be in shock. She's always supported my riding though and now that she sees I'm pretty practical with purchases she doesn't bug me about them.
Old 02-22-11, 11:51 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Right -so, my fiance talked me out of selling the Cervelo & the HED wheel.
Sheesh - how lucky can a guy get - she kept after me until I agreed to NOT sell off my B-bike and a wheel that isn't critical to my success.
I mentioned your dilemma to the Missus. She asked me (seriously) if the fiancee was giving anything up too. lol.
Old 02-22-11, 12:08 PM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
snow fluirries this morning. just a slight smack in the face from mother nature.

almost.

that is all. later.
Old 02-22-11, 12:22 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I mentioned your dilemma to the Missus. She asked me (seriously) if the fiancee was giving anything up too. lol.
yeah... she isn't wired quite like that. She was feeling really bad that I was selling my stuff and she wasn't - that's certainly part of the complexity in this situation.
She is generous and a dreamer... I'm generous and a rather pragmatic accountant.

That said, we come from different financial backgrounds and I don't fault her for it at all.

Her family has plenty of money, and she's never needed to make divisively painful financial decisions,
my background... well, this wouldn't be anywhere near the first time that I disposed of things that had value to me.

We have had a number of long talks in the last few days about what is important to us - and it looks a lot better to me.
The numbers weren't working out to get what we wanted with the money available to us (she's a grad student... so, make your own conclusions about funding sources)
I am absolutely fine with selling stuff I have now to get stuff I value more - but that felt like a series of deaths to her.
(I mean, if I sell the cervelo frame for 600 and buy a tsunami for 750 in a year... that's not so bad, eh? - in her mind, once you own something, you shouldn't ever be forced to give it up, and certainly not to get money out of it.)

We met in the middle - expectations have been adjusted, and so has our fiscal approach.

Her grandma recently gave Mme Hida her share of the inheritance with the enjoinder to "enjoy it now and throw a party or something, so you can tell me about it while I'm still alive... throw a big party or something"
She decided to contribute quite a bit of that to match what I was putting in, so we are now equal partners in funding the wedding... I certainly didn't think she'd do that - but it fulfills all the requirements of the gift - and it is her money to spend... so, okay :-)
Old 02-22-11, 12:56 PM
JohnKScott

Bikes: It has two wheels

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah... she isn't wired quite like that. She was feeling really bad that I was selling my stuff and she wasn't - that's certainly part of the complexity in this situation.
She is generous and a dreamer... I'm generous and a rather pragmatic accountant.

That said, we come from different financial backgrounds and I don't fault her for it at all.

Her family has plenty of money, and she's never needed to make divisively painful financial decisions,
my background... well, this wouldn't be anywhere near the first time that I disposed of things that had value to me.

We have had a number of long talks in the last few days about what is important to us - and it looks a lot better to me.
The numbers weren't working out to get what we wanted with the money available to us (she's a grad student... so, make your own conclusions about funding sources)
I am absolutely fine with selling stuff I have now to get stuff I value more - but that felt like a series of deaths to her.
(I mean, if I sell the cervelo frame for 600 and buy a tsunami for 750 in a year... that's not so bad, eh? - in her mind, once you own something, you shouldn't ever be forced to give it up, and certainly not to get money out of it.)

We met in the middle - expectations have been adjusted, and so has our fiscal approach.

Her grandma recently gave Mme Hida her share of the inheritance with the enjoinder to "enjoy it now and throw a party or something, so you can tell me about it while I'm still alive... throw a big party or something"
She decided to contribute quite a bit of that to match what I was putting in, so we are now equal partners in funding the wedding... I certainly didn't think she'd do that - but it fulfills all the requirements of the gift - and it is her money to spend... so, okay :-)
Sounds very cool. I enjoyed reading that.
Old 02-22-11, 12:59 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Sweet. It's like she cut off her hair to buy you a pocket watch chain.
Old 02-22-11, 01:10 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Old 02-22-11, 01:17 PM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

what does alanis morissette have to do with any of this?
Old 02-22-11, 01:36 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sweet. It's like she'd cut off her hair to buy you a bike chain.
you know, she totally would.
and I'd sell my cervelo to buy her a hair appt at her favorite spa

the part of our relationship that I am the proudest of is our ability, willingness, & (above all) desire to find a place in the middle for both of us.
Even though we come from incredibly different socio-economic backgrounds, we are incredibly set on making this highly visible first of the next phase of our relationship be one that reinforces what is important to us... Sharing the load, working together, and making decisions that are fully & jointly "ours".

She said she only wanted one ring, and didn't want it to be fancy or have a rock in it - so I got her something that is 100% her, and I've never seen another like it.
I said I don't like the social construction where women display their 'taken-ness' by wearing their rings from engagement on - but men don't... so she is getting mine and I'll start to wear it in the next week or so.
Old 02-22-11, 01:49 PM
carpediemracing 

(cool explanation)
We were kind of in the same situation. I was working in IT, had some money, I sold my house that I had for 15? years, had more money, she's been working steadily as a (non-CPA) accountant so she made money. We just spent what we felt was okay. If we thought it was crazy we nixed it, and I skipped buying stuff for myself for a year to get her her ring (I decided to do the ring thing even though I just watched Blood Diamond etc etc).

If we got married now we'd have a different kind of day. My income's been slashed severely, 70-80% for a while after I was off of unemployment. You know it's bad when you drop a couple choices down in multiple choice questions on household income . Our biggest thing was that we should be free and clear when we were done with everything. No debt, no credit card bills. I guess that was our barometer, come to think of it.

Ultimately you should have a good time. Celebrate. And all will be good.
Old 02-22-11, 01:50 PM
carpediemracing 

you know, she totally would.
and I'd sell my cervelo to buy her a hair appt at her favorite spa

the part of our relationship that I am the proudest of is our ability, willingness, & (above all) desire to find a place in the middle for both of us.
Even though we come from incredibly different socio-economic backgrounds, we are incredibly set on making this highly visible first of the next phase of our relationship be one that reinforces what is important to us... Sharing the load, working together, and making decisions that are fully & jointly "ours".

She said she only wanted one ring, and didn't want it to be fancy or have a rock in it - so I got her something that is 100% her, and I've never seen another like it.
I said I don't like the social construction where women display their 'taken-ness' by wearing their rings from engagement on - but men don't... so she is getting mine and I'll start to wear it in the next week or so.
Heh. I felt left out for the 18 months that she had a ring and I didn't. I felt like I wasn't being socially honest.
Old 02-22-11, 01:54 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
look at you, you leg shaving metrosexuals.
Old 02-22-11, 02:24 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
CDR & Hida, Thanks for sharing. The stories are almost a bit too cute
so she is getting mine and I'll start to wear it in the next week or so.
Do the Frodo Baggins when you race. It did wonders for this guy

Old 02-22-11, 02:28 PM
SushiJoe
Knowing's half the battle

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9 BB30, SRAM Red, Fulcrum Racing 3s

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
He lives!
I am, in fact, among the living again though horrendously out of shape!
Old 02-22-11, 02:33 PM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Work is a PITA today. It's 70 degrees out and there's an awful glare from the sun that's making it difficult for me to see my laptop from the back porch. And my toes are a little chilly when the breeze kicks up. This sucks.
Old 02-22-11, 02:37 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Old 02-22-11, 02:57 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by hammy56
awesome pic
Old 02-22-11, 02:59 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
if any of my cats saw him theyd crap.
Old 02-22-11, 03:03 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Don't they crap anyway?
Old 02-22-11, 03:05 PM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hammy56
Things are better now Hammy. The sun is shining nicely on my pasty legs. Nice and warm....

Old 02-22-11, 03:06 PM
substructure
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been watching old WB cartoons from the 50s. Man, I miss those ... well not anymore. But I love them.

One of my all time favorites

Last edited by substructure; 02-22-11 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-22-11, 03:09 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by big john
Don't they crap anyway?
too much at times...
Originally Posted by jwible
Things are better now Hammy. The sun is shining nicely on my pasty legs. Nice and warm....

Old 02-22-11, 03:46 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
When I was with my wife we had cats. She wrote to me on fb, first time in 9 years, and told me the one that was 'mine' was dead at 18. Landshark, or Sharky, feral LA cat in New Hampshire.
Old 02-22-11, 04:08 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
truly classic 'toons Sub. I use to love the one where B. Bunny goes up against the gangsters.
Old 02-22-11, 04:12 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Your ex finds you on facebook to tell you your cat is dead? I'm not sure if that's sweet or creepy or mean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.